Welcome To aBlackWeb

ABW Stock Exchange: All Things Investing

Does the Russia invasion of Ukraine have anything to do with this? That’s too big of a jump.
Man I don't even know anymore. It feels like the cost of living is going up everywhere and the cost of materials, goods and services is following suit just because. Covid supply chain issues, Russia/Ukraine (plus the additonal bonus of Brexit for us in the UK) it feels like all this is happening by design, but I'm probably going down too much of a conspiracy path here.

The way inflation is going it feels like even stocks will struggle to hedge against it but it's the best chance we have.

Man I don't even know anymore. It feels like the cost of living is going up everywhere and the cost of materials, goods and services is following suit just because. Covid supply chain issues, Russia/Ukraine (plus the additonal bonus of Brexit for us in the UK) it feels like all this is happening by design, but I'm probably going down too much of a conspiracy path here.

The way inflation is going it feels like even stocks will struggle to hedge against it but it's the best chance we have.
Yeah its almost getting to the point where savings accts don't matter anymore and where we may have to have some sort of U.B.I. Ppl can't get their head above the water

Yeah its almost getting to the point where savings accts don't matter anymore and where we may have to have some sort of U.B.I. Ppl can't get their head above the water
UBI might be the ultimate play here. That would be a very useful way for governments/the elite to control the common man.

From a UK perspective I think it disincentivises (is that a word?) the common man from having much ambition and thus limits his ability to challenge the status quo. We already see it with the benefits system over here whereby the state pays people, (sometimes more than the working man/woman gets for being employed!) and those people on benefits have no reason to strive for better because they are at the teet of the state. Shit a couple of my own family members have been living like that. They always complain about the system, but without the system they'd be forced to actually get gainful employement!

With the increased automation of the global workforce people at the lowest end of the spectrum in terms of emplyable skills will be faced with the choice of UBI or starving. I don't think this is imminent but long term i thnk that's where we're trending. Covid already provided the elite with a land grab (in some cases literally) for real estate and other assets such as equity. With historically low interest rates they've been able to do this on the cheap too. Upward mobility is already difficult as hell for the common man, eventually all that will be left is the choice to live at a basic level or die.

People like those in this thread should be fine because you've had the foresight to get ahead forn your future through investing, but for those people like the ones in my family...smh

From a UK perspective I think it disincentivises (is that a word?) the common man from having much ambition and thus limits his ability to challenge the status quo. We already see it with the benefits system over here whereby the state pays people, (sometimes more than the working man/woman gets for being employed!) and those people on benefits have no reason to strive for better because they are at the teet of the state. Shit a couple of my own family members have been living like that. They always complain about the system, but without the system they'd be forced to actually get gainful employement!

With the increased automation of the global workforce people at the lowest end of the spectrum in terms of emplyable skills will be faced with the choice of UBI or starving. I don't think this is imminent but long term i thnk that's where we're trending. Covid already provided the elite with a land grab (in some cases literally) for real estate and other assets such as equity. With historically low interest rates they've been able to do this on the cheap too. Upward mobility is already difficult as hell for the common man, eventually all that will be left is the choice to live at a basic level or die.

People like those in this thread should be fine because you've had the foresight to get ahead forn your future through investing, but for those people like the ones in my family...smh

I think there will always be folks that will be happy with the bare minimum and will find a way to survive offa that.

If UBI becomes a thing.. I feel like the vast majority of folks will take that bread and do something with it. I dont subscribe to the narrative that "people dont want to work anymore"... nah they just dont wanna kill themselves everyday for peanuts while these corporations make record profits.

People getting financial support arent just gonna stop working. the folks that just sit on their ass and collect... imo would be doing that regardless.

Still not seeing how that corresponds with government control of people tho

I think there will always be folks that will be happy with the bare minimum and will find a way to survive offa that.

If UBI becomes a thing.. I feel like the vast majority of folks will take that bread and do something with it. I dont subscribe to the narrative that "people dont want to work anymore"... nah they just dont wanna kill themselves everyday for peanuts while these corporations make record profits.

People getting financial support arent just gonna stop working. the folks that just sit on their ass and collect... imo would be doing that regardless.

Still not seeing how that corresponds with government control of people tho
The world needs more positive people like you who believe in humanity instead of cynics like me. I think as long as UBI is not provided at a subsistence level, but at a level that people can get by on and when you couple that with a declining workforce because of increased automation i think you'll get a society of people just happy to survive instead of strive.

Probably should have clarified my control point better. The global elite (governments, wealthy hedge funds and the heads of big industry) already have control but I see UBI as strengthening their control and ability to dictate policy regardless of whether the people are in line with it or not. So essentially a more exaggerated version of the world we have now.

Back