Welcome To aBlackWeb

COMMUNITY ABW How To Series: Using the "tag" feature to search

AP2.5

Beef Authority
Site Administrator
Been meaning to get to this one for a while

ok so everybody always complaining how the search feature is trash. While i disagree, I will admit that i can be challenging to find certain threads that have 3 characters or less. People keep saying "but i searched...but i searched"...i don't believe most of you, but I digress.

One of the most underutilized features on this site are the tags. The only restriction with tags is that it must be more than 2 characters, so you can't use "TV" as an example.

Wanted to also touch on this while we're at it. Tags are used to search for things. Keyword "SEARCH". Please stop using tags as labels for things going on in the OP. Or better yet, if you wanna be funny and add something like "Neckless Judah"...cool, but lay off the "bitches ain't shit" or "these hoes be acting up". Stay away from using derogatory descriptions in the tags. It also impacts google search algorithms and related.

So, to get started, I've added the tags "tutorial" and "how to" to this thread. This is what it looks like

now let's say that you know there is a thread about this, but for some reason, you just can't think of the proper search term. You can search for threads by member name, but what if they are like @Goldie and have over a 1000 threads and he has similarly worded threads that you can't easily decipher through.

Go to the search bar at the top right, and click on advanced

Moving forward, when creating tags, please try to utilize this feature as it will help cut down on the number of duplicate threads. Also, if you have created any fairly new threads without tags, please revisit them and try to add some search friendly tags to help others find your thread when they search.

This will also come in handy in forums like "Reel Talk" when people trying to search for some of the more obscure movies or shows, or in "the record store" when people trying to search for threads about upcoming albums.

Shoutout to @MoeW and @Matike85 who use the tag feature in pretty much every thread they create.

Hope you found this helpful

Last edited:
My only issue with it is finding things threads that I think may exist but may not exist. Other than that, it works fine.

My only issue with it is finding things threads that I think may exist but may not exist. Other than that, it works fine.
fair point

the issue is when people try to get creative about a title, and name it something so obscure that there is no way you can search for the words they put in the title, however, i think if people stuck to basic naming principles with the tags, that MIGHT help

fair point

the issue is when people try to get creative about a title, and name it something so obscure that there is no way you can search for the words they put in the title, however, i think if people stuck to basic naming principles with the tags, that MIGHT help
I'll agree with people creating obscure titles just to be "creative". Title be "Time Machine" and the thread is about the Faceapp aging challenge.

Yeah I'm looking at you @OhMars .

93668210-7F4A-4B09-9FAC-C915A8B7924D.gif

Back