Welcome To aBlackWeb

ABW Debates (Vol 1): Has Today's Technology Done More Harm Than Good? (VOTE NOW)

Who Won The Debate?

• Total voters
Ima get you when I'm off work!
Lmao

Nah but for real, I'll be back in here round 4ish Cali time

El got me looking like Superman right now by not conceding...

ktrfvskbvmgzkeoclzkv.gif

Got me looking like an ol "Why is it not working?" ass boy...

Post 2

@NoOneImportant his words are bolded, loosely quoted throughout

Although the usage of technology has offered convenience along with labor and time saving efforts, it has negatively affected human health.
Wrong. Diseases, viruses, harmful bacteria existed long before the advent of human technology and will continue to exist and evolve when we are long gone. While GMOs are generally perceived as a bad thing, the whole point of gmos is creating foods that benefit us with more of the nutrients that we need. We genetically modify foods to make them better, not worse. And even if our methods are eventually proven to be harmful or ineffective, you cannot blame the technology for failing, merely the humans utilizing it incorrectly. They may be harmful now, but technology has a way of correcting things. Also, no one is forced to consume gmos. People are perfectly capable of sustains their own gardens and growing their own food. If they choose not to, the fault is in them, not the technology creating gmos.

Less physical exertion - The human body is tough and resilient. We are meant to exert ourselves. When it comes to work-related tasks, technology has taken a great deal of that exertion away. Not only our work has been affected by technology, but our play has been greatly affected. With the usage of TV, video games, and Internet at an all-time high, most of us are no longer use outdoor activities to entertain ourselves.

I play video games as much as time allows me to. I'm on my phone all day long. Regardless of these facts, I still manage to walk almost two miles a day (according to my handy apple health app), I utilize my job to do squats, and lift weights. I'm a healthy weight, and manage to eat well also. Technology hasn't affected my health in a negative way, personally and I wouldn't allow it to. But enough about me, in general, technology allows people to track their caloric intake, steps taken during the day, and even log their sleep routine in order to see how the individual can get better sleep to fully give their brain rest and allow it to recover for the next day. Technology gave us the treadmill and all the varying forms of it. Technology keeps the lights on so people can go to a 24 hour fitness at 3am because they spend all day behind a desk using that darn technology they call a computer. Tech gives us new ways to exercise, shows us how our bodies respond to exercise, shows doctors how we can better build our bodies for exercise and good health. I'd say the benefits outweigh the risks.

Strong dependence - One question, if the power went out for an extend period of time, would we be able to fend for ourselves?
Absolutely, but it would be a lot more annoying to do so without technology, wouldn't it

Technology has allowed us to have automated control over Mother Nature for our benefit, but we are also destroying her through technology-related pollution at a rapid pace.

Industrial ties

I agree wth you here, to a point. Any major industry whether it be oil or technology is always going to have big players who try to control and manipulate the market, often by withholding better, more efficient advances in technology. A prime example of this is the car battery that allows a car to run for years without needing to be recharged. This technology was bought out by a company who intends to continue profiting from the standard car batteries we all are familiar with. A smart move, and a costly one for consumers. However while I see your point, again, the problem here is not technology. Technology is the only solution. The problem is people and what people do with said technology. It'd be like saying knives are bad because people stab people. Naw I need my knife thank you very much.

Mass production - without mass production, many much needed items would take too long to produce and ship and people would go without. We need mass production lines, even if some things will go to waste. And really, nothing is "waste" everything can be recycled, so the benefits again outweigh the cons.

E-waste - If you're privy to the gold in almost any electronic device you have, you'll learn to recycle it. Many people already recycle bottles and cans, it's not unusual to see people also recycling televisions and computers. Even if they don't and they simply trash it, garbage people go through each item in the trash. They remove recyclable items when they're worth removing. And what Apple does lol is again about tech companies/people not technology. You're complaining about Apple making profits the way smart business people make profits. However you want their technology so stop knocking it :)

You think controlling Mother Nature would be a hard enough task, huh? What about governing ourselves as human beings? How about we invest into more of those scientific investigation methods that technology has afforded us to discover how to better govern ourselves and find out what mentally ails us as humans? Technology has allowed our faults as humans to move from a physical to a now digital state, reaching a wider scale.

Sure technology can be a great deterrent to stop crime. However, let's stop and ask why we need deterrence in the first place? Let's start thinking what has went wrong in someone's life to make them want to commit a crime? What makes someone want to commit scams - whether in person or over the Internet - or be a pedophile - whether physically or digitally?

Did this person have a a good home life while growing up? Was this person sexually-abused as a child? Was this person able to find his or her passion or was prepared enough for the world while going through the education system?

The preceding questions are the ones we should be asking. Could we have used technology to solve some of these problems?

Nigggggga

lol I ask similar questions all the time and the first thing I do when I want answers is hop on my phone, head over to a psych article on the subject, and start reading. I'll use that information along with what I know from experience to gain a better understanding. Technology does not inhibit free thinking, if anything it encourages it. It's up to people to use it correctly.

Just learned that less is more in debating because I may have let this varmint back in, thinking she still has an actual chance.
:gtfoh:

Yeah, I used the word varmint to describe you... You know why...

Eleanor: Wrong. Diseases, viruses, harmful bacteria existed long before the advent of human technology and will continue to exist and evolve when we are long gone. While GMOs are generally perceived as a bad thing, the whole point of gmos is creating foods that benefit us with more of the nutrients that we need. We genetically modify foods to make them better, not worse. And even if our methods are eventually proven to be harmful or ineffective, you cannot blame the technology for failing, merely the humans utilizing it incorrectly. They may be harmful now, but technology has a way of correcting things. Also, no one is forced to consume gmos. People are perfectly capable of sustains their own gardens and growing their own food. If they choose not to, the fault is in them, not the technology creating gmos.

Me: I am talking more in the lines of carcinogens from by-products created from our advancements in technology, baby. Like preservatives in our food, exhaust fumes from combustible engines, unforeseen side effects of medication, pesticides, and etc.

GMOs is a boring topic to discuss and we already have enough to discuss. I'll just drop this link...

http://responsibletechnology.org/10-Reasons-to-Avoid-GMOs/

Everyone cannot afford organic foods. Also, everyone does not have the space, right climate, time, and know how when it comes to growing and maintaining a garden.

---
Eleanor: I play video games as much as time allows me to. I'm on my phone all day long. Regardless of these facts, I still manage to walk almost two miles a day (according to my handy apple health app), I utilize my job to do squats, and lift weights. I'm a healthy weight, and manage to eat well also. Technology hasn't affected my health in a negative way, personally and I wouldn't allow it to. But enough about me, in general, technology allows people to track their caloric intake, steps taken during the day, and even log their sleep routine in order to see how the individual can get better sleep to fully give their brain rest and allow it to recover for the next day. Technology gave us the treadmill and all the varying forms of it. Technology keeps the lights on so people can go to a 24 hour fitness at 3am because they spend all day behind a desk using that darn technology they call a computer. Tech gives us new ways to exercise, shows us how our bodies respond to exercise, shows doctors how we can better build our bodies for exercise and good health. I'd say the benefits outweigh the risks.

Me: You are not everyone, babygirl. You are special. <3 Technology has introduced us to a sedentary lifestyle. It has introduced options to where people don't have to step one foot out of the house to be entertained. Combined this fact with the processed foods that technology made possible, it is a recipe for disaster. Instead of spending time outside playing, kids are in the house playing video games, surfing the Internet, or watching TV. Isn't childhood obesity on the rise? I do agree that people need to be responsible when it comes to managing their health. However, just like other races didn't care about the plight of blacks until Trump started to push his agendas, people don't care about shit until it becomes their problem, that includes health issues.

---
Eleanor: Industrial ties - I agree wth you here, to a point. Any major industry whether it be oil or technology is always going to have big players who try to control and manipulate the market, often by withholding better, more efficient advances in technology. A prime example of this is the car battery that allows a car to run for years without needing to be recharged. This technology was bought out by a company who intends to continue profiting from the standard car batteries we all are familiar with. A smart move, and a costly one for consumers. However while I see your point, again, the problem here is not technology. Technology is the only solution. The problem is people and what people do with said technology. It'd be like saying knives are bad because people stab people. Naw I need my knife thank you very much.

Me: My primary argument is "With great power comes great responsibility" in regards to the usage of technology. All I am saying is that we need lobbyists to have less influence over lawmakers in Washington so we can place more regulations on inefficient technology. We need our government to strongly support businesses or individuals that are actively researching cost-effective, safer, and efficient alternatives by giving tax breaks or grants.

---
Eleanor: Mass production - without mass production, many much needed items would take too long to produce and ship and people would go without. We need mass production lines, even if some things will go to waste. And really, nothing is "waste" everything can be recycled, so the benefits again outweigh the cons.

Me: I agree with you. We just need to mass produce responsibly. The recycling process is not completely a toll-free process. Some energy is consumed to make the components of an item reusable again.

---
Eleanor: E-waste - If you're privy to the gold in almost any electronic device you have, you'll learn to recycle it. Many people already recycle bottles and cans, it's not unusual to see people also recycling televisions and computers. Even if they don't and they simply trash it, garbage people go through each item in the trash. They remove recyclable items when they're worth removing. And what Apple does lol is again about tech companies/people not technology. You're complaining about Apple making profits the way smart business people make profits. However you want their technology so stop knocking it :)

Me: Okay I'll meet you half-way on this friend. It is up to the consumers to research ways to sell or donate no longer needed devices. However, I think the government needs a scheduled pick-up for larger devices and drop-off bins for smaller devices. Responsible consumers will have to go out of their way to drop-off smaller devices. In Georgia, recycling is optional. Let's be helpful and remove one-step from the process. Like I mentioned before, recycling is not a completely toll-free process.

Now, in regards to my Apple example, they should lessen the options of the product available. In my original answer, I forgot they even sell phones in different colors, LOL. All I am saying, just standardize their products and limit the releases. This approach should go for all manufacturers of popular devices, not just Apple. Shit, a company like Samsung could have benefited from longer releases between products and invest more time into R&D to keep their phones from becoming hazards. What Apple and other companies are doing is an example of e-waste because it is so unnecessary. We are consuming more natural resources than needed. Shit, I still got an IPhone 5 that I bought in 2013. The only reason I am going to get a new phone is because the battery is no longer holding a charge. I would have to pay $50-$60 to have it repaired when I can get the newer IPhone 6 for $15 per month over a 2-year period.

---
Eleanor: Nigggggga

lol I ask similar questions all the time and the first thing I do when I want answers is hop on my phone, head over to a psych article on the subject, and start reading. I'll use that information along with what I know from experience to gain a better understanding. Technology does not inhibit free thinking, if anything it encourages it. It's up to people to use it correctly.

Me: All I am saying is let's use technology in a way that helps govern ourselves better, not just put money in our pockets. Hypothetically, let's just admit that most adults out here are fucked up and they are a lost cause. So, we are going to place our focus on today's children. You and I shared some of the following ideas in another thread. Yearly, standardized testing in a way can be used to determine a child's well-being. Online courses geared toward child well-being as a requirement for parents to take before a child can be registered in the next school level (elementary, middle, and high school). Facial-recognition cameras in areas where students congregate to determine a child's mood on a daily to weekly basis. A floating counselor to interview a child quarterly and the counselor places his or her notes into a central database that can easily be parsed for later purposes. Check and balances easily provided due to technology. Yes, we are infringing on small personal freedoms, but we are also guaranteeing a better future for our children.

You see all these ideas I shared? All geared towards child wellness and all technology-related, right? We can use technology to detect these problems early enough to solve them, so they don't become future problems. All of this is possible with today's technology. Yeah, getting those cameras will be expensive at first; however, they can end up paying for themselves with less future police, court dates, and prisoners. That is, if the initial studies shows that my proposed system works.

Last edited:
@TheMasterKey , I am not sure if I can do another debate in the future my nigga.

It almost feels like work.

I think the question was too broad and also my dumbass introduced a lot of material to discuss.

Just rules of thumb to pay attention to next time.

I didn't expect yall to go this hard body, yall mfs writing real dissertations lol

I'll change it so that the losers get 2k and the winner gets 5k.

Nah, we gotta wait till the debate is over before we respond.

I can start another debate so you can go up against somebody else for 5k.

I'll just wait until the debate is over then. I don't really want to go up against anybody and get blowing out the water. I ain't dumb but I ain't that much of an intellectual either. I've done debates in college when I had a speech class but that was so long ago. I'll just wait and I really log on so it would be a waste.

I say we close the debate and open the poll. Otherwise this is gonna get cyclical. We both already laid out our sides, and tbh im over it lol. Time to let the people decide.

Back