Welcome To aBlackWeb

ABW Community Cookbook/Recipe Thread

I live Louisiana adjacent. All your kind come here to work. Of course we got them
lol @ your kind. My best red beans are after Thanksgiving bc of the leftover ham or turkey. Outside of that season, you'll need camellia red beans ofc, fresh creole seasoning, manda sausage and salt meat... I also use basil leaves to season them

Anyone got a decent gumbo recipe??
Out of the sweet potato soul book

Bootylicious Gumbo
Makes 4 servings
ÂĽ cup olive oil
ÂĽ cup flour
1 large yellow onion, diced
3 cloves of garlic, minced
2 cups celery, chopped
1 large green pepper, chopped
1 can diced tomatoes
3 Field Roast Apple Sage Sausages
½ a vegetable bouillon cube + 3 cups of water OR 3 cups of vegetable broth
1 bay leaf
1 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp fresh black pepper
1 tsp dried thyme
1 ½ cups brown rice

Preheat a large dutch oven, or heavy bottom pot, over medium heat. Add the olive oil, then sprinkle in the flour when the oil is hot. Toast the flour in the oil, unstirred, for a few minutes until it turns golden brown. That’s your roux!

Add the onions to the roux, followed by a sprinkle of sea salt, and stir. Cook until they begin to soften, about 2 minutes, then add the garlic, celery and green pepper.

While the veggies are cooking, take a couple of minutes to chop the sausages in ½ inch rounds. Add these to the pot along with the diced tomatoes and stir well.

Add the bouillon and water (or vegetable broth) as well as the bay leaf.

Bring the gumbo to a simmer, and allow to cook uncovered for about 30-45 minutes (depending on how thick you want it).
While the gumbo is cooking, take this time to make your brown rice. Add 1 ½ cups of rice (I prefer medium-grain brown rice) to 3 cups of boiling water. Add a dash of salt, reduce heat to a low simmer, and cook with the lid ajar for about 30 minutes.

Once the gumbo has thickened up, remove it from the heat and add the final spices. Add smoked paprika, black pepper and dried thyme. Stir well, season to taste, and serve over brown rice.

Back