Welcome To aBlackWeb

ABW abby: My husband of 5 years inherited his parents’ Californian home and didn’t put my name on the deed — what should I do?

DOS_patos

Unverified Legion of Trill member
Lets have dialouges about everyday problems.
Your job is to give advice to this person.

Yall ABW abby ass niggas......give this woman advice. what would you tell her?

We’ve been married for five years — happily, or so I thought.

We have shared all our assets prior to our marriage, including our current accounts and bank accounts, etc. I continued to work for five years after we married, and I just retired at 65. My husband is 71 and was retired before I met him, his only income being Social Security benefits. As an only child, he recently inherited his parents’ home and a large sum of money.

To my surprise, he has not added my name to the house or the bank accounts that belonged to his parents. We have no wills at this point, and we live in California. I understand that an inheritance is not community property unless you make it so. If the shoe were on the other foot, I would have added his name to the deed. I’m hurt and apprehensive about where I stand.

Should I tell him how I feel? Can you give me some advice?

Hurt Wife

She is greedy. I inherited my parents home and my wife never asked to be placed on anything. First inheritance is not distributed during divorce. So her old ass must be more concerned with divorce than death. A will would easily clear this up.

next my family’s home was a rental property with tenants already living there. Im not a lawyer so it may not have been fully legal but when we did the leases I put my name and wife name on the lease so she was able to collect the rent. The tenants had no problem with this.

last I closed my parents bank accounts. Not sure why he didn’t. Pnc gave me hell about and I had every paper needed to do so. I got so bad my wife (not me) called the regional manager and almost got the Branch manager fired. Again she wasn’t on the accounts and all paperwork was in my name but it was nothing more than me verifying info and saying talk to my wife.

Since they live in California, she gets half anyway if they get divorced.

On principle though, if it was his parents' home.........she shouldn't be on the deed in the first place.

Last edited:
She not entitled. They've shared everything up to that point, she has the right to wonder why she not on it.

And if he didn't explain, it looks suspicious.

Yahoo is the first site I hop on in the morning, just to kinda get the lay of the land for the day and find interesting articles.

I don't even remember the last time I've even gone to yahoo, even accidentally. Baby Bush was prolly in office... first term and I was still living in SE Michigan.

Just ask dude. Also if money and assets invalidates 5 years of marriage you got bigger problems. The slick line about happily or so I thought is kind of telling

Dumb question. Your parents stuff is never up for debate unless that person wants to openly do it.

Back