Welcome To aBlackWeb

Abdul-Jabbar Auctioning 4 Rings

Chicity

Played a big role in Chicago like Latifah
Site Administrator
Hall of Fame center Kareem Abdul-Jabbar has put four of his NBA championship rings up for auction.

Abdul-Jabbar has hundreds of items from his memorabilia collection available in the auction, being conducted by Goldin Auctions, with "much of the proceeds" going to his Skyhook Foundation charity to help benefit kids learn about science, technology, engineering and math.

"When it comes to choosing between storing a championship ring or trophy in a room, or providing kids with an opportunity to change their lives, the choice is pretty simple. Sell it all," Abdul-Jabbar wrote on his blog about why he's auctioning off valuables from his sports history.

"Looking back on what I have done with my life, instead of gazing at the sparkle of jewels or gold plating celebrating something I did a long time ago, I'd rather look into the delighted face of a child holding their first caterpillar and think about what I might be doing for their future.

"That's a history that has no price."

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/26085760/abdul-jabbar-puts-four-title-rings-auction

What y'all think about Kareem auctioning off his basketball legacy?

I said the same thing, get all the money you can and then while you washed up go sign with a title contender as veteran leadership to get a ring
man i wouldnt even do that

idk man, maybe im old school but I'm honest enough to admit i didnt appreciate what Dirk has done for the NBA, but he been down since day one

if he ever wanted to leave, he never made that shit public. He still got his bag and his legacy. Helps he got at least one chip, but i think he would've stayed regardless.

What y'all think about Kareem auctioning off his basketball legacy?

A person can't auction off their legacy. Just cause he selling physical things the history he has made to get those physical things can't be erased.

I don't know how he goes about fundraising but if he has to do that because he doesn't have the funds I think its kind of fuck up he not getting support for something that seems like a worthy cause.

If I had it I'd buy it and give it back to him or just give him the amount he looking for and let him keep his stuff.

A person can't auction off their legacy. Just cause he selling physical things the history he has made to get those physical things can't be erased.

I don't know how he goes about fundraising but if he has to do that because he doesn't have the funds I think its kind of fuck up he not getting support for something that seems like a worthy cause.

If I had it I'd buy it and give it back to him or just give him the amount he looking for and let him keep his stuff.
You're right about the first part. Not his legacy but his tangible legacy, imo

He said it isn't about money for him which is why he giving most of it to the charities..

right, Kareem certified

his legacy is in stone.

Imagine if these athletes today really gave a shit about the communities where they play

I dont really rock with Dame as a player, but when he said the reason why he wants to retire in portland, I felt that shit

he laid out the ripple effects thats gonna happen to that community if he left, PLUS the nigga still getting paid

Uhhhh...

Better him do it than watch his kids or lawyers fuck it up on and bunk ass local estate auction.

It's better this way.

The money goes where he wants it to go.

No hurt feelings. No short sales.

This is a collectors dream and nightmare all at the same time.

Nothing

Can't take that shit with you and ya estate probably gonna sell it anyway

I couldn't be an athlete in today's sports. I want the bag. Fuck a ring
It's based on what you value or where your passions lie as a form success goes. Yours is finacial stability, does not make it better or less than others.

As an artist mines is all about impact and legacy, but I understand folks for securing the bag though.

It's based on what you value or where your passions lie as a form success goes. Yours is finacial stability, does not make it better or less than others.

As an artist mines is all about impact and legacy, but I understand folks for securing the bag though.
to me, this isnt the same

will you stop making music if you dont get a grammy?

Uhhhh...

Better him do it than watch his kids or lawyers fuck it up on and bunk ass local estate auction.

It's better this way.

The money goes where he wants it to go.

No hurt feelings. No short sales.

This is a collectors dream and nightmare all at the same time.

I'm one of the few that wouldn't sell if given to me.

Back