Welcome To aBlackWeb

A Few Documentaries on African American History

So I mentioned in that 'Hidden Colors' thread, that I felt there were better documentaries out there that dove deeper on specific topics, because I didnt watch the whole thing of the first one, because it didnt teach me anything new (This was after someone linked me to the film hyping it saying I'd learn so much and be woke. So I was rather salty when i saw nothing but shit I already knew and assumed most people knew and TBH I also feel like they're more like propaganda films marketed that way to get donations from blacks, but i'm not gunna get into that). A few people expressed interest in me making a thread, so here we are.

These documentaries taught me a lot, that i didn't know and also had things that i over looked, that was actually really important.

I figured this would be smooth sailing, but i ran into some snags, thats why this took longer than i expected. Turns out a lot of these were only licensed to be online for free for a period of time, before you have to either join the site and make a donation, or just buy the film on blueray or w/e. So you got that coupled with me trying to remember the names of the films I saw, since i deleted a lot them from my DVR n shit smh. Spent a few days not exactly pleased. But I got it done.

For this first set, its going to be a process to view it, if you are in the United States. The uploader has our country blocked so it can stay on youtube. You'll have to use a VPN or a proxy to view it. If you dont have or want to use a VPN, here are two proxy sites you can use. https://www.hidemyass.com/en-us/proxy or https://www.proxfree.com/ . When you go to hidemyass, just go to "connect my server" and change it to a country outside of the US and for proxfree, just change "ip address location", before you paste the link to the youtube and connect. It should pop right up and play on the site.

Noted Harvard scholar Henry Louis Gates, Jr. recounts the full trajectory of African-American history in his groundbreaking new six-part series The African Americans: Many Rivers to Cross with Henry Louis Gates, Jr.---Written and presented by Professor Gates, the six-hour series explores the evolution of the African-American people, as well as the multiplicity of cultural institutions, political strategies, and religious and social perspectives they developed — forging their own history, culture and society against unimaginable odds. Commencing with the origins of slavery in Africa, the series moves through five centuries of remarkable historic events right up to the present — when America is led by a black president, yet remains a nation deeply divided by race.

(update link https://www.pbs.org/show/african-am...nicles the full,nation deeply divided by race. )
The African Americans Many Rivers to Cross Episode 1: The Black Atlantic (1500-1800)
(link for you to copy in case you cant play www.youtube.com/watch?v=ud2tEfp6t3A )

The African Americans Many Rivers to Cross Episode 2: The Age of Slavery (1800 -1860)
(link for you to copy in case you cant play www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gj47wDxiU08 )

The African Americans Many Rivers to Cross Episode 3: Into the Fire (1861-1896)
(link for you to copy in case you cant play www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhzN70JAeQo )

The African Americans Many Rivers to Cross Episode 4: Making a way Out of no way (1897-1940)
(link for you to copy in case you cant play www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMJtL2_oivo )

The African Americans Many Rivers to Cross Episode 5: Rise! (1940 - 1968)
(link for you to copy in case you cant play www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jwBceWkCzA )

The African Americans Many Rivers to Cross Episode 6: A More Perfect Union (1968 - 2013)
(link for you to copy in case you cant play www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nc6AZmso9no )

Slave Catchers, Slave Resisters
The following description of the film was written by film producer Judy Richardson for H-Net.
Slave Catchers, Slave Resisters
is a two-hour History Channel documentary that depicts the system of slave policing—enforced by militia, armed community slave patrols, paid slave catchers, and federal law.
The stories are set in both the South and the North, from the mid-1700’s colonial era through the end of the Civil War and its aftermath, and told through archival material, scholar interviews and recreations.
While the stories show the brutality of the slave system, they also reveal another, often-overlooked side of the history—the strength and ingenuity of the enslaved. As historian Peter Wood observes, “Would they [the enslaved] go willingly into a situation of perpetual racial servitude? No way!”
In the South, we portray slave hunters and their bloodhounds, who sometimes lost against the intelligence and fight-to-the-death courage of the enslaved. And in the North, we show slave catchers who were sometimes blocked by an organized—and armed—black community. Historian James O. Horton comments: “Boston is not a safe place for slave catchers to operate… Blacks—and sometimes whites—formed as groups to protect fugitives.”
Even in the South, plantations were like pressure cookers, as our film illustrates. Sometimes they exploded into full-scale rebellions—like the 1739 Stono Rebellion in South Carolina or the 1831 rebellion led by Nat Turner in Virginia. But, more often, they were plagued by the low-level simmering of individual acts of resistance. One Philadelphia company even refused to issue fire insurance policies in slave states because of the high incidence of arson.
However, as we make clear, the main problem for slave owners was not rebellion, but runaways. Historian Loren Schweninger notes, “A minimum number of slaves per year that ran away was 50,000 and probably many more… It was almost routine.” Most ran simply to be reunited with family members who’d been sold away.
During the Revolutionary War, Thomas Jefferson noted that thousands of slaves fled Virginia plantations alone, including some from Jefferson’s own plantation. One of Patrick Henry’s slaves took to heart Henry’s cry of “Give me liberty, or give me death”—and fled. Even the power granted the slaveholding states in the new Constitution could not stop slave escapes. Historian Sylvia Frey states, “The enslaved population had waged a desperate… but unsuccessful struggle for freedom, [but] the impetus that the Revolution provided persisted.”
To stanch the flow of escaping slaves, plantation owners used a variety of methods over time: an elaborate system of slave patrols with rigid rules, Negro Acts and other legislation, “Negro dogs” especially bred to track runaways (including some bred by a future U.S. president), and slave catchers hired in the South and the North.
Our documentary tells true stories of slave catchers and escaping slaves that have never before been portrayed on film. And threaded throughout these unusual and little-known stories is information about the tools slave hunters used to bring back runaway slaves, the strategies used by the enslaved to thwart their pursuers… and the lengths to which both would go to achieve their goal.

SLAVERY BY ANOTHER NAME
Slavery by Another Name is a 90-minute documentary that challenges one of Americans’ most cherished assumptions: the belief that slavery in this country ended with the Emancipation Proclamation. The film tells how even as chattel slavery came to an end in the South in 1865, thousands of African Americans were pulled back into forced labor with shocking force and brutality.
(trailer)

(full doc)

Birth Of A Movement: The Battle Against America's First Blockbuster
DW Griffiths’ 1915 epic The Birth of a Nation is widely regarded as a milestone in the history of cinema – but it’s also unarguably a work of racist propaganda. Griffiths’ film, though technically innovative, problematically depicted the Ku Klux Klan as heroes protecting innocent white Americans from predatory black men, and led to protests across America to have the film banned. BIRTH OF A MOVEMENT: THE BATTLE AGAINST AMERICA’S FIRST BLOCKBUSTER, based on Dick Lehr's book The Birth of a Movement, looks back to the first protests against the film, led by African-American newspaper editor William M Trotter, and their role in the birth of the civil rights movement. Contributors include Lehr himself, alongside Spike Lee, Reginald Hudlin and DJ Spooky.
(trailer)

(full doc bootleg)

Last edited:
BOSS: The Black Experience in Business
Learn about the untold story of African American entrepreneurship, where skill, industriousness, ingenuity and sheer courage in the face of overwhelming odds provide the backbone of this nation’s economic and social growth.
(trailer)

(link to the film on PBS site, BUT you have to be a memeber to view it now. To be a member you have to do a monthly subscription with a donation, or just a 1 time donation, since its public broadcasting and rely on donations to keep bringing stuff like this. Donate if you want to if not.......i got the bootleg -_- )
(bootleg)

(This one might seem random af, but it lowkey has super important parts pertaining to African American History in it. For example, the first black town in America, was in Florida and the first underground railroad ran south to Florida)
SECRETS OF THE DEAD | Secrets of Spanish Florida
Secrets of Spanish Florida – A Secrets of the Dead Special uncovers one story of America’s past that never made it into textbooks. Follow some of America’s leading archaeologists, maritime scientists, and historians as they share the story of Florida’s earliest settlers. It’s a story that has taken more than 450 years to reveal.
(trailer)

(full video)

George Washington Carver: An Uncommon Life
While George Washington Carver's rise from slavery to scientific accomplishment has inspired millions, time has reduced him to the man who did something with peanuts. This documentary uncovers Carver's complexities and reveals the full impact of his life and work.

Fighting on Both Fronts The Story of the 370th
The remarkable, but little known, story of one of few African-American regiments to have fought in combat during World War I. They were America's unsung heroes - a group of men from Illinois, largely from Chicago's Bronzeville neighborhood. They fought on two fronts - the war against the Germans and the war against racism and inequality.
(video)

Last edited:
BLACK AMERICA SINCE MLK: AND STILL I RISE - Part 1 | PBS
Black America Since MLK: And Still I Rise looks at the last five decades of African American history since the major civil rights victories through the eyes of Henry Louis Gates, Jr., exploring the tremendous gains and persistent challenges of these years
(gotta donate to watch, i'll update if I find a link)

BLACK AMERICA SINCE MLK: AND STILL I RISE Part 2
(excerpts)

Mississippi's War: Slavery and Secession | MPB
State’s Rights vs Slavery? What was the motivating factor that lead to the conflict? Examine the reasons behind Mississippi’s decision to secede from the United States, and the ramifications that action had on its citizens.

Scarred Justice: the Orangeburg Massacre 1968
https://itvs.org/films/scarred-justice
In 1968, police opened fire on the campus of South Carolina State University, leaving three young African American men dead and 27 wounded. Unlike a similar incident at Kent State, the incident did not make national headlines, and there has never been an official investigation into what occurred that night. Scarred Justice investigates the continued cover-up of the tragedy and follows ongoing efforts to seek justice.
(trailer)

(plz ignore the title in the youtube video. Seems like the uploader changed it to fit their own narrative. It becomes clear when you click "info" and real all the other links they want you to click)

Dream Land: Little Rock's West 9th Street
Little Rock, Arkansas's, West 9th Street was once a vibrant, African-American business and entertainment district. Taborian Hall is the only remaining historic structure on West 9th Street and stands as a living witness of the street's former glory days.
(trailer)

(full video)

Black in Appalachia : The Swift Story | The First African-American University
The Swift Memorial Institute in Rogersville, Tennessee, became a beacon of higher education in the rural South for African Americans,demonstrating, not only the power of education but the importance of doing what’s right, regardless of current ideas.
(full video)

Black in Appalachia : Knoxville's Red Summer | The Riot of 1919
One hundred years ago, Bertie Lindsey was murdered and the accused was almost lynched by an angry mob. What followed was riots throughout the city - known as Knoxville’s Red Summer. This film chronicles the unrest that occurred in Knoxville following these events. It features never-before-seen newsreel footage uncovered by the Tennessee Archive of Moving Image and Sound (TAMIS).
(full video)

North Star: Making Home
https://www.pbs.org/show/minnesota-experience/
The "hidden history" of African Americans who helped shape the North Star state of Minnesota. From fur trader George Bonga to the state's first black woman lawyer, Lena Smith.
(full video)
North Star: Making Change
(full video)

North Star: Civil War Stories
Four stories bring to light the hidden histories of African American Minnesotans during and after the Civil War. These unsung heroes made unique contributions to the Union and their new state, but the details and records of their involvement still challenge historians. Produced with the Ramsey County Historical Society.
(full video)

Colorado Experience - Fannie Mae Duncan
Fannie Mae Duncan brought the motto “Everybody Welcome” to true meaning at her Colorado Springs Cotton Club from 1948 to 1975, despite the volatile Civil Rights Movement of the day. The granddaughter of slaves and the daughter of tenant farmers, Fannie Mae stood for harmony and maintained the first racially integrated club in the city.

African Americans: The Las Vegas Experience
https://www.pbs.org/show/vegas-pbs-documentaries/
Discover the momentous events that defined the African American experience in Las Vegas throughout the Civil Rights era. These events altered the city’s history and changed thousands of lives. Our story introduces individuals who are connected to these events, and to each other.
(full video)

(I just happened to see this and havent listened to it, cuz i dont care for audio books, but this is for other people who would like it to listen for a drive or at work)

Booker T. Washington - Up From Slavery | Read by Ossie Davis (1976)

(Same book just different reader)

Thats it for now, but here another Doc that is about to drop, that you might also find interesting.
"If you knew in your heart & your mind that someone took your child's life, how far would you go to get to the truth?"
PBS has debuted an official trailer for an indie documentary titled Always in Season, which premiered at the Sundance Film Festival earlier this year. After winning a Special Jury Award at Sundance, the acclaimed film went on to play at the Omaha, Cleveland, Full Frame, Atlanta, Sarasota, San Francisco, and Provincetown Film Festivals throughout the year.
The film centers on the case of Lennon Lacy, an African American teen who was found hanging from a swing set in Bladenboro, North Carolina, on August 29, 2014.
Despite inconsistencies in the case, local officials quickly ruled Lennon’s death a suicide, but his mother, Claudia, believes Lennon was lynched. Claudia moves from paralyzing grief to leading the fight for justice for her son and reconciliation begins while the trauma of more than a century of lynching African Americans bleeds into the present.
ALWAYS IN SEASON explores the lingering impact of more than a century of lynching African Americans and connects this form of historic racial terrorism to racial violence today. It goes beyond the story of Lennon, examining lynching throughout history. Another powerful doc about America's sordid past.
(trailer)

Last edited:
Thats it for now, although i keep feeling like i forgot some. If anything i'll just update if it turns out I did.
Just a reminder for the PBS links behind the donation pay wall. If I cant find a link, you'll just have to make a donation and become a member to gain access. I wouldnt be surprised if just a couple dollars can do it.

Edit: 9/16/19
Turns out I did forget one and here it is.

Reconstruction: America After the Civil War
https://www.pbs.org/show/reconstruction-america-after-civil-war/
Reconstruction: America After the Civil War explores the transformative years following the American Civil War, when the nation struggled to rebuild itself in the face of profound loss, massive destruction, and revolutionary social change. This new, four hour documentary series will tell the full story of this misrepresented and misunderstood chapter of American history.
(trailer)

Reconstruction | Part 1, Hour 1
The aftermath of the Civil War was bewildering, exhilarating . . . and terrifying. African Americans had played a crucial role in saving the Union and now, as the country grappled with the terms and implications of Reconstruction, they struggled to breathe life into their hard-won freedom. The result was a second American Revolution.

Reconstruction | Part 1, Hour 2
Post-Civil War America was a new world. For African Americans living in the former Confederacy, Reconstruction was what historian W. E. B. Du Bois once described as their “brief moment in the sun.” But support for the social, economic, and political gains they achieved didn’t last long. A controversial presidential election in 1876 deals Reconstruction a grievous blow.

Reconstruction | Part 2, Hour 1
Hour three of the series examines the years 1877-1896, a transitional period that saw visions of a “New South” set the stage for the rise of Jim Crow and the undermining of Reconstruction’s legal and political legacy. While some African Americans attempted to migrate, the vast majority remained in the South, where sharecropping, convict leasing, disfranchisement, and lynchings drew a “color line”.

Reconstruction | Part 2, Hour 2
The turn of the century is known as the ‘nadir’ of race relations, when white supremacy was ascendant and African Americans faced both physical and psychological oppression. Racist imagery saturated popular culture and Southern propaganda manipulated the story of the Civil War and Reconstruction. But African Americans found ways to fight back, using artistic expression to put forward a “New Negro”

(this is an older video series just on Tennessee)
Reconstruction: A Moment In The Sun
The end of the Civil War was not the end of hostilities between North and South. Years of fighting over how to reunite the divided country and what role millions of newly freed African Americans would play still lay ahead. Tennessee's tumultuous Reconstruction era is a riveting tale of revenge, domestic terror, and broken promises.
(full video)

Looking Over Jordan
Episode 6 |
The Civil War began as a means of preserving the Union. But to nearly four million African Americans, it held a much more personal promise.
(full video)
Secession
Nashville Public Television explores how Secession would not only tear our nation apart, but also its states, communities, even families. Nowhere was the debate more heated than Tennessee. Some were willing to lay down their lives for what they saw as a threat to their way of life, while others were equally willing to die to preserve the Union they loved.
(full video)

The Citizenship Project
We’re taught that citizenship involves certain rights and duties but the reality for many citizens in minority communities, these rights of citizenship are not automatically granted. Nashville Public Television’s original series The Citizenship Project explores these stories, one hundred years after the Civil War and into the 20th century.
First Black Statesmen: Tennessee's Self-Made Men | The Citizenship Project |
At the end of the Civil War, after ratification of the fourteenth and fifteenth amendments to the U.S. Constitution, there was a relatively brief fifteen year period where voters elected and the Tennessee Legislature seated African-American legislators. The first was Sampson Keeble in 1873, and he was followed by a dozen more after him. These men were former slaves, businessmen, teachers, lawyers and farmers from Davidson, Tipton, Shelby, Fayette and other counties around the state. However, they struggled and sometimes lost against the forces opposing them both in the legislature and in their hometowns. Those forces used black codes, vote suppression, ballot rigging, threats and violence against them. In more than one case, the legislator fled the state for safety. In 1888, the last of the elected black legislators left office. One more was elected in 1896, reportedly "by the largest vote for any legislative candidate" from that county, but he was denied his seat by the Legislature. The Tennessee Legislature would remain an all-white body from 1888 until 1964.
(full video)

The Early Black Press | Tennessee Voices Lifted
One of the rights African Americans gained as a result of the Civil War was the right to free expression. Rather than rely on the newspapers of the day to carry their stories and the stories they were interested in, Black Tennesseans started their own newspapers. Over the years, these papers were read by black and white Tennesseans alike.

A Time of Joining
The late 19th and early 20th centuries were a time of joining in Tennessee. Civil war gave way to civic engagement, as thousands of benevolent societies and fraternal organizations formed. Born from crisis, these community organizations became a part of the fabric of a newly reborn United States. These institutions helped define and influence American ideals over a tumultuous period of growth.

Soldier & Citizen
Military service has historically been seen as a pathway to new rights and legitimacy for minority groups, offering battlefield sacrifice as evidence of worthiness. Through riveting stories of Tennessee's military history, NPT's Soldier & Citizen explores how the "blood debt" has been leveraged to further the cause for full citizenship.

@Focal Point
@Inori
@aka_og
@HarryHippie

Last edited:
Good look my dude

Don’t be harsh on Hidden Color/1804 films. Everybody don’t know what’s on those films. Most don’t. It’s also much easier watch than the heavier stuff, like a pre cursor. There’s real historians/scholars on those films who have full lectures by themselves I ran into later in my studies. The entertainers help sell it and provide a perspective. Although your understanding may be further, please don’t shit on them films especially if you ain’t sit through them all. Disservice to our folks

Trust me, niggas do not know who Dutty Boukman and jean Jacque Dessalines are. Before I met a mentor who pushed me, those films are what exposed me to real history and characters like them.

Definitely going move through these though. Appreciate the drop

Good look my dude

Don’t be harsh on Hidden Color/1804 films. Everybody don’t know what’s on those films. Most don’t. It’s also much easier watch than the heavier stuff, like a pre cursor. There’s real historians/scholars on those films who have full lectures by themselves I ran into later in my studies. The entertainers help sell it and provide a perspective. Although your understanding may be further, please don’t shit on them films especially if you ain’t sit through them all. Disservice to our folks

Trust me, niggas do not know who Dutty Boukman and jean Jacque Dessalines are. Before I met a mentor who pushed me, those films are what exposed me to real history and characters like them.

Definitely going move through these though. Appreciate the drop
Thats why i said for me i didnt learn anything. But other people I saw talking about it (and some that linked me) learned from it. Thats one of the reason I made this. In case people only heard of Hidden Colors docs and dont know about other ones.
Most times its just sad when you meet other black people who dont even know the basic stuff, not even specific names and dates.
I just hope these teach others as much as its taught me.

OK, I was right about me forgetting something. I added ; Reconstruction: America After the Civil War 4 part series, another Reconstruction series specifically dealing with the state of Tennessee & The Citizenship Project; which is 4 part series about blacks in Tennessee earning their rights as citizens.

I'm trying to keep w/e video updates I might make to the first page.

If you check the view count on some of those official videos on youtube, the numbers are pitiful. Usually a few dozen or a couple hundred at most. Wish most people would look around first and check, before they claim they cant find documentaries telling the truth, on black history. Makes no sense why they giving people like Tariq Nasheed 6 figures through crowd funding, for him to make a doc he likes, when we got stuff like this out here for free.

Last edited:
Back