Welcome To aBlackWeb

50 Nearly Whoops Aspiring Rapper's A$$

or just to hand out to cats in the industry you run across. Being prepared is what gets you that opportunity. There a cat from Detroit named Recloose that famously got signed while he was working at a deli making sandwiches. Carl Craig, Detroit Techno icon and owner of Planet E records, walks through the door and places an order. Recloose sees dude but he can't come out of the back to chop it with him so he took his demo tape and put it in Carl's sandwich. Three days later he got a call from Carl about the demo. Dude now has over 20 12" releases and 4 albums to his name thanks to keeping demos on him at all times.

He put it in the sandwich bag i assume?

He put it in the sandwich bag i assume?

no, he put it in the sandwich itself.

"... So I just put it in his sandwich. He called back about three days later to tell me he liked the demo – I had already forgotten what I had done. He thought it was pretty funny..."

@konceptjones @5 Grand yall still buy cds? Now i will admit this dude having cds couldve helped his argument. But mainly he was out of place.

As far as cds go i dont really see cd players like that anymore everything is hooked up through phones

Truthfully that's not the point. The point is to have something tangible on his person that he can hand to someone in the industry if he happens across such a person. A CD would be best, but even if not that dude should have at least had a business card on him to hand to 50 like "Yo, I know you on a date, here's my card, it's got links to my IG and Soundcloud so you can listen to my music and check out footage of my shows." then dap the man up and bounce.

I used to keep at least 4 demo tapes and 4 mix CD's in the briefcase I took to work with me every day and had 4 of each in my backpack when I was out and about off work. I ran into more promoters than anyone so those mix CD's stayed going into people's hands and the end result was a string of spots at a bunch of raves and eventually my club residency. None of which would have happened without keeping something tangible on me at all times.

If you're a rapper, singer, drummer, comedian or any other type of performer, you should have CDs, DVDs and T-Shirts on your person at all times. That's your hustle. That's your grind. That's the difference between having a job stocking shelves at the supermarket and living in your parents basement. You are the brand and your CD is your product. You sell CDs downtown, on college campuses, the subway station at rush hour, the mall, outside the movie theatre on weekends. Once you get to the point when you make more money selling CDs than you make working then you are a professional artist.

Also try to book paid shows. Tell the nightclub owner that you'll perform for $500 and you can guarantee a crowd of at least 50 people. Set up a merchandise table at the nightclub and sell CDs, DVDs and T-shirts.

People will support you if you put on a good stage show and have social skills (don't talk about people behind their back).

Back