Welcome To aBlackWeb

OUT NOW 2Chainz - Rap Or Go To The League Album Thread (3/1)

maybe you dont hold your local rappers in high regard, but i do sir

boy if you dont stop this shit....you know that verse is lackluster af

Nah he stuck on topic and his flow brought life to the song. U act like niggas rapping like that everyday lol Cut it out fam

I just went back and listened to make sure i wasn't buggin. This nigga AP man smh lol Uninspired? :huh5:

i'm out

I guarantee if Lupe would've hopped on the track with a boring Thomas Jefferson analogy for 16 bars straight ruining the tone of the song u would've loved it tho :Pathetic:

Let me ask you this Goldie

Which ones did I keep do you disagree with

Yea this didn't end up being the project i thought it was going to be... Intro is a tease of what he is capable of...

A Black Web Reviews:
2 Chainz - Rap or Go To The League
Reviewed by: AP21

Rap or Go To The League is the latest offering from Atlanta's own Titty Boi better known to the world as 2 Chainz. A well respected emcee among his peers throughout the years who has seemed to carve out his own niche in the rap game. At this point in his career, you should know what to expect from a 2 Chainz project which is usually some heavy bass hitting production, braggadocios raps, and a lot of one liners/punchlines and 2 Chainz does not disappoint in that regard. The album begins with a feature by the highly talented Marsha Ambrosius on a track titled "Forgiven" which samples a line from Jay-Z's "Lucifer" sprinkled throughout the hook. On the second rap, Chainz raps:

Got a phone call from Lil' Fate
Somebody shot his son, he didn't make it
My head achin', hands started shakin'
Foul beyond flagrant
He said, "Bro, what I'm supposed to do?"
I paused, remorseful
We been partners since public school
Kids ain't supposed to die before us

For the most part of his career, Chainz has had an ability to tell some vivid tales of life in and outside of the dope game. This particular part on the song speaks to many people who have lost children to acts of violence in urban communities. It was a very real depiction of a moment he had to experience with one of his closest friends since high school. The execution on this song is perfect way to begin the album. The album comes out the gate fast and furious. The first 4 songs give you a good sense of what to expect throughout the project. One of my favorite songs on the whole project is "Threat to Society", produced by none other than 9th Wonder, which contains a sample of the soulful "Good To Be Alive" by The Truthettes.

The album hits a speed bump when you get to "Hi top Versace" (HTV) feat. Young Thug. Remember I said you know what you are going to get from a 2Chainz project? One of the weaker songs on the project is Hi top Versace. Project starts to gain traction on the very next song "Whip" feat. Travis Scott. Not the greatest as a whole, but much better than HTV. Then we get to "NCAA". Immediately when I saw the song title, I thought of Future's "March Madness" that has become an anthem at basketball events, especially now that we are in about to enter in to college basketball tournament season. With that said, I assume Chainz was going for his very own "March Madness" anthem, and you know what? I think he may have. I can easily see teams coming out to this in games. He gets a point for actually rapping about basketball though lol.

The next two songs "Mama I Hit a Lick" feat. Kendrick Lamar and "Rule the World feat Ariana Grande are also two of the better tracks of the album.
"Mama I Hit a Lick" has a great feel to it. Chainz and K.Dot perfectly compliment each other. "Rule the World" features a rendition of Amerie's 2002 " Fall in love" and it does it beautifully!

Album fumbles after this over the next two songs which are "Girls Best Friend" feat Ty $ and "2 Dolla Bill" feat E-40 and Lil Wayne. Now that we are past the "homeboys on a feature" portion of the album, we get to "I Said Me" which features a rendition of Mary J. Blige's 2005 "Take Me As I Am" and Chainz does this beat service and definitely adds his own flair as he raps:

When my daughter asked me what a drug dealer was...I said me
When my lawyer asked me what a killa was...I said me
When a chick ask me what a real n***a was...I said me

Album closes out with "I'm Not Crazy, Life is" feat Chance the rapper and Kodak Black and "Sam". While I'm personally not a huge fan of "I'm not Crazy", it's still one of the weaker songs on the album. "Sam" is the last song or the outro as the old hip hop heads would call it, and it is just magnificent as it samples, a southern hip hop classic, "Hi-Life" from UGK's 1996 "Ridin Dirty" album. Chainz does this beat justice. He picks up right where Pimp and Bun left off when they originally made this song. The trials and tribulations of the urban community, growing up in impoverished areas trying to make the best of the situation"

I thought this was a very solid project from 2 Chainz. I'm rocking with about 9 songs on this project heavy. The remaining ones didn't meet my expectations considering who were on the song or just out of place with the rest of the album.

Keep
Forgiven
Threat to Society (ABW Fav)
Money in the Way
Statute of Limitations
NCAA (ABW Fav)
Momma I Hit a Lick (ABW Fav)
Rule the World
I Said Me
Sam

Skip
High Top Versace