Welcome To aBlackWeb

2021/22 NBA Season Thread

Okay. Even though I watched Brunson do nothing half the games against Phoenix while also being a liability on defense.

TMac never had any help in any series. It’s settle Brunson >> Yao and every player TMac ever played with
You're putting words on my fingers but you got it.

Do any of you folks think the league office will start putting mandatory game minimums on end of season awards?

I think it would be a good way to get players to stop load management for stuff they can play through.

he's not a loser

he definitely under achieved or came up short based on expectations....but a loser he is not
In the terms of playoff success he is a loser.

It is what it is. Don’t act like im trying to destroy him or something.

Do any of you folks think the league office will start putting mandatory game minimums on end of season awards?

I think it would be a good way to get players to stop load management for stuff they can play through.

Why would an owner of a team that is a true championship contender agree to that?

Why would an owner of a team that is a true championship contender agree to that?

I think the majority of owners would agree to it because it’s way more teams that aren’t true championship contenders and the owners want as many fans in the seats as possible. The stars draw the casual fans in.

me personally I don’t care about players missing games because I love basketball and my team in general. I’ve watched them play in person plenty of times with bench guys starting and didn’t care. Lol.

the complaining from the casual fans and media about guys not playing is pretty loud these days, so that is one way to get players to play as many games as they can.

not to mention it would help weed out players who barely played getting major awards, which would also change how much owners would have to pay some guys. So that’s another reason why most owners would buy off on the idea.

I think the majority of owners would agree to it because it’s way more teams that aren’t true championship contenders and the owners want as many fans in the seats as possible. The stars draw the casual fans in.

me personally I don’t care about players missing games because I love basketball and my team in general. I’ve watched them play in person plenty of times with bench guys starting and didn’t care. Lol.

the complaining from the casual fans and media about guys not playing is pretty loud these days, so that is one way to get players to play as many games as they can.

not to mention it would help weed out players who barely played getting major awards, which would also change how much owners would have to pay some guys. So that’s another reason why most owners would buy off on the idea.

If a team owner can market its star player as the mvp of the league etc and he only played 60 games I'd be happy with that cause I'm still selling the same amount of tickets and merchandise.

If the max star player has a little ding he could play through but my team about to play the Wizards (my team) yes I as the owner agree with him sitting out. I ain't risking my star player on a contending team just to not load manage him to play against a team who not even trying to contend.

It doesn't make sense for a team owner to do that to the team championship chances or vote to let the league put in a game minimum for league awards when that would go against what is best for my team.

Winfield reported two important nuggets -- the Nets are now "unwilling" to give Irving a max contract extension, and Kevin Durant hasn't spoken to Brooklyn's front office since he got sent home for the summer by the Celtics.

Nugget No 1:

This is why, as I’ve already written, the Nets’ championship hopes hinge on an amicable solution with Irving, whose personal decision not to get vaccinated and unpredictable injury history have left the Nets hesitant, and now, according to a source familiar with the Nets’ thought process, outright unwilling to give him a long-term extension.

And Nugget No. 2:

If Irving leaves outright as a free agent this summer, disgruntled by the Nets’ hardball stance on his availability, Brooklyn doesn’t have the cap space to replace him with a star, which means Durant, entering Year 16, could be playing with a questionable Ben Simmons (back surgery) and a roster full of role players.

That’s a first-round exit at best – if Durant stays to see it, and according to multiple sources, Durant and the Nets front office have not spoken since they were swept out of the first round.

In layman’s terms, if Irving leaves the Nets, it wouldn’t be a surprise if Durant becomes frustrated with the organization’s ability to put championship pieces around him.

Winfield also accurately points out that Irving will not settle for some kind of short-term arrangement that pays him well while allowing the Nets future flexibility. If he opts into his player option this summer and goes into next year on an expiring contract, one wrong step could lead to an injury that tanks his future earnings potential to an extreme degree. Irving's talent alone gives him the leverage to demand an arrangement more suitable-- and now it appears he has Durant to use as leverage, too. Which isn't necessarily new information, but it seems nearly certain now that Durant's opinion of his mercurial teammate hasn't been altered enough to be open to a big change.
CF6568D0-EBB3-43B0-8CF6-B7D206CE47A6.gif

Winfield reported two important nuggets -- the Nets are now "unwilling" to give Irving a max contract extension, and Kevin Durant hasn't spoken to Brooklyn's front office since he got sent home for the summer by the Celtics.

Nugget No 1:

This is why, as I’ve already written, the Nets’ championship hopes hinge on an amicable solution with Irving, whose personal decision not to get vaccinated and unpredictable injury history have left the Nets hesitant, and now, according to a source familiar with the Nets’ thought process, outright unwilling to give him a long-term extension.

And Nugget No. 2:

If Irving leaves outright as a free agent this summer, disgruntled by the Nets’ hardball stance on his availability, Brooklyn doesn’t have the cap space to replace him with a star, which means Durant, entering Year 16, could be playing with a questionable Ben Simmons (back surgery) and a roster full of role players.

That’s a first-round exit at best – if Durant stays to see it, and according to multiple sources, Durant and the Nets front office have not spoken since they were swept out of the first round.

In layman’s terms, if Irving leaves the Nets, it wouldn’t be a surprise if Durant becomes frustrated with the organization’s ability to put championship pieces around him.

Winfield also accurately points out that Irving will not settle for some kind of short-term arrangement that pays him well while allowing the Nets future flexibility. If he opts into his player option this summer and goes into next year on an expiring contract, one wrong step could lead to an injury that tanks his future earnings potential to an extreme degree. Irving's talent alone gives him the leverage to demand an arrangement more suitable-- and now it appears he has Durant to use as leverage, too. Which isn't necessarily new information, but it seems nearly certain now that Durant's opinion of his mercurial teammate hasn't been altered enough to be open to a big change.

20220525_132128.jpg

Nugget No 1:

And Nugget No. 2:

IMO Kyrie Irving choosing not to be vaccinated shouldn't factor into the contract extension. His injury history 100% should.

They probably wont have to worry about doing it that way. Hasn't it been reported that in the next CBA that the owners plan to tie games played into players salary to try and curb "REST" days?

Can't remember which reporter said it, but they said to be prepared for a "long" lockout after the CBA expires. The owners are tired of healthy scratches, and like you said, the players going to push back.

Either Zach Lowe or Tom Haberstroh I think said it

In the terms of playoff success he is a loser.

It is what it is. Don’t act like im trying to destroy him or something.
in terms of playoff success, he is an underachiever IMO

him being a loser would be him never qualifying for the playoffs or him padding stats in non meaningful games

BUT...as always 🤝

Back