Welcome To aBlackWeb

2020 NBA Playoffs East 1st Round: #3 Boston Celtics vs #6 Philadelphia in Phour. Process couldn't complete (BOS sweeps 4-0 🧹)

Who wins?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Infamous114

305 🇳🇮
Mod Squad
USATSI_13890715.jpg

getty-images-1198040616.jpg

Season Series: Celtics 1-3 vs 76ers
Feb 1, 2020 - 76ers 95, Celtics 116 in Boston
Jan 9, 2020 - Celtics 98, 76ers 109 in Philadelphia
Dec 12, 2019 - 76ers 115, Celtics 109 in Boston
Oct 23, 2019 - Celtics 93, 76ers 107 in Philadelphia

dr_j.jpg

Celtics vs 76ers Playoff History: Celtics 9-4 all-time vs 76ers
2018 Eastern Conference Semifinals: Celtics win 4-1
2012 Eastern Conference Semifinals: Celtics win 4-3
2002 Eastern Conference 1st Round: Celtics win 3-2
1985 Eastern Conference Finals: Celtics win 4-1
1982 Eastern Conference Finals: 76ers win 4-3
1981 Eastern Conference Finals: Celtics win 4-3
1980 Eastern Conference Finals: 76ers win 4-1
1977 Eastern Conference Semifinals: 76ers win 4-3
1969 Eastern Division Semifinals: Celtics win 4-1
1968 Eastern Division Finals: Celtics win 4-3
1967 Eastern Division Finals: 76ers win 4-1
1966 Eastern Division Finals: Celtics win 4-1
1965 Eastern Division Finals: Celtics win 4-3​

Last edited:

If Embiid plays, what’s the best chance of a deep playoff run?

Horford will likely step into the starting lineup and replace Simmons next to Joel Embiid, an alignment that coach Bret Brown loathed to use this season. Before Simmons got hurt last week, Horford and Embiid played without Simmons for only 128 of the team’s 3,327 minutes this season, according to PBPstats.com tracking. (Brown’s intuition may have been onto something: the Sixers’ opponent actually outscored by exactly one point in those Simmons-less minutes with Horford and Embiid on the floor.)

Statistically, Embiid has been better off individually when he doesn’t play with Horford. And that brings us to the short-term dilemma facing the Sixers: the best thing for the Sixers might be bringing Horford off the bench, but the optics of putting a $100-million player in the second unit may not sit well.

The team’s decision to pivot away from the Jimmy Butler and JJ Redick era and sign Horford was met with mixed reviews. But I was bullish on the move simply because Horford would help rescue the hellacious Embiid-less minutes that torpedo’d the Sixers’ East Finals hopes last season.

Horford hasn’t been the Sixers’ savior. Perhaps that’s putting too much on his shoulders. But then again, nine-figure contracts bring high expectations. Ironically, by far the most successful Sixers look this season has been Embiid playing solo without Horford or Simmons on the floor at all. In 439 minutes this season, per PBPstats.com, the Solo Embiid lineups have blasted opponents 981-860, or 13.9 points every 100 possessions.

If the Sixers are going to make a run, that’s how they’re going to do it: maximizing Solo Embiid time and turning Horford into the Sixers’ Montrezl Harrell.

My suggestion would be to replace Simmons with Mike Scott, not Horford. The Sixers need to surround Embiid with as much shooting as possible. Simmons’ willingness to shoot 3s would have been such a game-changer but his injury means we won’t get to see whether the 24-year-old was going to finally add that weapon to his arsenal.

Scott won’t hesitate to let it fly, giving Embiid ample room to dominate in the post. Yes, Charles Barkley sometimes goes over the top with his Embiid criticism, but the notion that Embiid should spend more time on the block is a fair one.

If you want Superstar Embiid, chances are Horford can’t be in the picture. With Horford on the floor, Embiid shoots 5.3 3-point attempts per 36 minutes, per NBA.com tracking. There just isn’t as much space for Embiid to operate when he’s flanked by the paint-dwelling Horford. When the former Celtics is on the floor, Embiid’s rates of basket attacks and free throws go south.

But when Horford is on the bench, Embiid’s launch rate from downtown falls to 3.4 3-point attempts per 36 minutes, which is a much healthier number considering Embiid is a below-average marksmen from downtown (33.1 percent). Perhaps most importantly, Embiid playing without Horford has far better results on the scoreboard (plus-147 without Horford versus plus-7 with Horford).

You don’t have to remind this phenomenon to Celtics fans. Back in December, Horford sat out the Sixers’ visit to TD Garden and Embiid destroyed Boston’s frontline, tallying 38 points, 13 rebounds, six assists and going to the free-throw line 14 times. The Celtics had no answer for Embiid and the Sixers won a road game in the toughest of environments, a rarity for this Sixers squad. When Horford and Embiid played in February in Boston, the Celtics blew out the Sixers while Embiid struggled throughout the night.

The Horford-Embiid partnership is awkward, but it’s easy to see why the Sixers want to make it work. Nine-figure salaries don’t typically go to reserve players. But the evidence is clear. If the Sixers want to raise their playoff ceiling, they should look to maximize Embiid first and the rest will take care of itself.

Damn shame. I was hoping the 76ers would do our dirty work this year but guess we gotta do this the hard way.

Celtics in 6.

Damn shame. I was hoping the 76ers would do our dirty work this year but guess we gotta do this the hard way.

Celtics in 6.
Before the stoppage, sixers were 6th and Celtics were 3 and I was mad when the season stopped because I knew the sixers would lose in the 1st round

luckily I still get my wish

Overhyped, underachieving, garbage

Trust the process though for 10 years lol

Back