Welcome To aBlackWeb

2019-20 NFL Season Thread

I remember watching that game and til this day, I STILL can't figure out how that happened. The hit he made looked like it didn't have any real power to it. Glad to see he's getting better, and hope he goes into coaching.

Its still fucc da Steelers fo' life tho.

Last edited:

OBJ vague on Browns future amid worst season

BEREA, Ohio -- As the 5-7 Cleveland Browns have all but tumbled out of the playoff picture, star wide receiver Odell Beckham Jr. was vague about his future with the team beyond the 2019 season.

"No one knows what the future holds, like tomorrow," Beckham said when asked after Thursday's practice whether he wants to be in Cleveland next year. "I couldn't tell you what's going to happen."

In his first season with the Browns, Beckham is having the worst statistical year of his career, excluding his injury-riddled 2017 season with the New York Giants.
Through 12 games, Beckham has 57 catches, 805 receiving yards and just two touchdowns. He also has gone six consecutive games without topping 100 receiving yards for the first time in his career.

Beckham, who is under contract through 2023, didn't say that he wants to leave Cleveland on the heels of such a disappointing season, but he didn't exactly commit to the Browns past this year, either.

"I couldn't sit here and tell you whether I'm going to be here, want to be here, don't want to be here," Beckham said. "This is exactly where I'm at now, and I wouldn't rather be anywhere else."

Beckham referenced his close relationship with fellow wide receiver Jarvis Landry as a reason for "how special this could be." At the same time, Beckham noted "everything will figure itself out" this offseason.

"I feel like I've been here before, asking questions about the next team while I'm on a team already," said Beckham, acquired from the Giants in a blockbuster trade this past offseason. "That's something I just tune out for right now. Catch me in the offseason and see what happens."

Beckham's curious comments came after a loss to the Pittsburgh Steelers dealt a devastating blow to the Browns' playoff chances.

Against the Steelers, Beckham had just three catches for 29 yards on only six targets.
"I don't think it's anything intentional," said Beckham, when asked why the Browns have struggled so frequently in getting him the ball, especially in critical moments. "I just think teams have played us a certain way. They've done some things to keep me from getting the ball. It's on everybody."

Beckham did admit to being especially frustrated when he doesn't get the ball from quarterback Baker Mayfield and the Browns lose.

"Along with any other position, you want to help, period," Beckham said. "You do get the ball, you don't get the ball ... ultimately what fixes everything is winning. When you don't win, that's when you can see problems ... tension. The answer is always in winning."
Browns coach Freddie Kitchens was asked Wednesday whether Beckham had expressed any frustration at his lack of targets or catches, especially in the red zone, where he has been targeted only seven times.

"Odell has not been a problem at all," Kitchens said. "Really, if it was not Odell, we would not be even asking these questions about that kind of outlier type stuff. Odell has been fine. He has been good. Helps everybody, helps the young guys. Baker and Odell have a good dialogue. Everything is good."

Beckham said that while he's "not having a good season," he has done well controlling his emotions, even when he has been frustrated like he was Sunday.

"It's definitely been a concerted effort from me just to keep myself in check, know that everyone is watching," Beckham said before referencing past antics with the Giants. "Know they want to see me mad or throw a helmet or punch a cooler or hug a kicking net. They want to see those things, and I've made that effort and decision and choice to not allow that."

After the loss to Pittsburgh, the ESPN Football Power Index now gives Cleveland just a 5.2% chance of sneaking into the AFC's final wild-card spot. The Browns would also have to win out, including upsetting the AFC North-leading Baltimore Ravens, to have any hope at the playoffs.

Beckham said that if "it's possible that we can make the playoffs, I'm all-in." But he also admitted that "there's been a lot of disappointment" and that there are "areas we expected more of ourselves," as the star-studded Browns rank just 22nd in the NFL in offensive efficiency.

"What's the future hold? I don't know that," Beckham said. "I don't know the answers for that. Right now I'm just taking it a day at a time, trying to finish the season healthy, win the last four games and see what happens."

Richard Sherman: No reason for outrage over Tim Ryan’s comments

San Francisco 49ers cornerback Richard Sherman says broadcaster Tim Ryan shouldn’t be shunned for the comments he made about Ravens quarterback Lamar Jackson‘s “dark skin” making it easier for him to hide the ball from the defense.

Sherman said today that he doesn’t believe Ryan was making a racist comment.

“I know Tim personally and I listened to the dialogue and saw it written, and honestly I wasn’t as outraged as everybody else,” Sherman said. “I understand how it can be taken under a certain context and be offensive to some, but if you’re saying, this is a brown ball, they’re wearing dark colors, and he has a brown arm, honestly, sometimes we were having trouble seeing it on film. He’s making a play fake and sometimes he’s swinging his arm real fast and you’re like, Does he have the ball? And you look up and [Mark] Ingram is running it. So it was technically a valid point, but you can always phrase things better.”

Ryan was suspended for saying during a radio interview, “He’s really good at that fake, Lamar Jackson, but when you consider his dark skin with a dark football with a dark uniform, you could not see that thing.” Sherman said Ryan was correct in his analysis that the 49ers’ defense was struggling to tell whether Jackson had the ball on some plays.

“It 100 percent is an issue,” Sherman said. “That’s why it wasn’t that offensive, because what he was saying was a great point. . . . He could have used better words, but it was made bigger than it really was.”

San Francisco defensive end Dee Ford also stuck up for Ryan.

“I told him, ‘I got your back,'” Ford said of a conversation he had with Ryan after Ryan was suspended by the team. “The words kind of got taken out of context. I think he knows now he could have used better judgment with his words, but we’ve got his back. I knew what he was trying to say. This era we live in, it’s just what it is.”

View attachment 198199

"I understand how it can be taken under a certain context and be offensive to some, but if you’re saying, this is a brown ball, they’re wearing dark colors, and he has a brown arm, honestly, sometimes we were having trouble seeing it on film. He’s making a play fake and sometimes he’s swinging his arm real fast and you’re like, Does he have the ball? And you look up and [Mark] Ingram is running it. So it was technically a valid point, but you can always phrase things better.”

SMH.gif

So according to his logic...what's the excuse when LJ is wearing the purple jersey? Or what about the white ones? Pitiful man

The problem, though, was that Williams’s helmet from last season had stiff padding, making it uncomfortable to wear. So much of his scalp was cut during the three surgeries he had early in the year to remove the tumor and repair the wound that more than half of the skin on his head is still numb. He says he can only feel about 60 percent of his haircut, and when he puts pressure on his head, he feels tingling and a burning sensation. The doctor who did the operation told him it might take as much as 18 months for the burning to go away. And while Williams had been cleared to play, he needed a helmet that wouldn’t make his head feel as if it was on fire.

The team’s interim head coach, Bill Callahan, was helping him get a custom-made helmet with spongier material inside from the equipment company Riddell, and it was supposed to arrive the Monday after the team’s bye week. He was looking forward to trying it and practicing that next Wednesday. Instead, the team placed him on the league’s non-football injury (NFI) list on Nov. 7, the Thursday before the helmet was to arrive. Williams is convinced the move was made by Allen to punish him for his holdout, and for revealing his frustration over the team’s medical staff and his cancer diagnosis during a news conference two days after his holdout ended, on Oct. 31.

“It’s kind of a vindictive move and it just showed their hand on how they wanted to operate,” he says. “I mean, I had until Tuesday and the new helmet Riddell was talking about was coming in on Monday, so for them to prematurely put me on the list without taking [time to see if the helmet would work] goes to show you that they didn’t really want me to play anyway.”

The NFI designation confirmed for Williams what he had been hearing since summer, when his holdout began during the team’s minicamp in June — that Allen was the one driving the team’s refusal to trade him.
The team’s stance throughout Williams’ holdout was to fine him for his absence and withhold his salary — as allowed under the collective bargaining agreement between the league and the players’ union — in the hope that the lost income would eventually drive him back.

Williams is sure Allen didn’t want him to return this fall so the team could claim he had two years left on his contract and potentially get more value in an offseason trade. He says Allen ignored calls and messages from his agent in the days and hours before the trade deadline, hoping to trick Williams into not reporting.

“He didn’t say anything because he wanted that 4 o’clock to pass by, because if I didn’t report by 4, of course, he could challenge to keep me for two years instead of one.”

It just goes to show you how behind the times [Allen] is, and he still tries to use that money to hold it over black athletes,” Williams says.

Last edited:
"I understand how it can be taken under a certain context and be offensive to some, but if you’re saying, this is a brown ball, they’re wearing dark colors, and he has a brown arm, honestly, sometimes we were having trouble seeing it on film. He’s making a play fake and sometimes he’s swinging his arm real fast and you’re like, Does he have the ball? And you look up and [Mark] Ingram is running it. So it was technically a valid point, but you can always phrase things better.”

View attachment 198205

So according to his logic...what's the excuse when LJ is wearing the purple jersey? Or what about the white ones? Pitiful man
Hate it had to be Sherman, but every time I watch the game I can see the ball on film. So there is no validity to his comments and the ball is lighter than Lamar's skin. Black people continue to defend whites who make out of line comments for some reason. No Jews defended LeBron for quoting that Jewish money line.

Hate it had to be Sherman, but every time I watch the game I can see the ball on film. So there is no validity to his comments and the ball is lighter than Lamar's skin. Black people continue to defend whites who make out of line comments for some reason. No Jews defended LeBron for quoting that Jewish money line.
I don’t think it was racist. So it’s nothing to defend.

Show Out !!!
See the source image

Back