Welcome To aBlackWeb

“respect your elders” No!

Race Jones

gangster. grace. alchemy
I really dont believe in respecting ppl just because they are older than you. i will even go as far to say: “respect your elders” can be a form of abuse and/or emotional manipulation. it is an old school edict that needs to die. when an elder violates someones agency and autonomy, they should be held accountable.

Period.

I dont care if we are family or not, mom or dad or not, respect is a two way street.

—————————————

:think2:

To me this just means I should understand that older people have been thru more life shit than I have, in the same way I kno' more of life than teenagers.

And I don't think you should speak to elders you don't kno' like you would someone your own age but that's more manners than respect for the individual

Lmao. Yall take any basic shit and blow it out of proportion just to go against the grain.

Adults also use the term do on to others as you would have them do on to you. Which y'all seem to understand clearly.

No one telling you that you HAVE TO respect your elders it's a basic common courtesy.

Just act your age and not your shoe size and you'll be fine.

I 100% believe in 'respect your elders'. But that doesn't mean let them continuously walk all over you, disrespect you, and impose their will on you. For me, it just means that they might get one or two passes from me for things that a person closer to my age wouldn't get any passes for.

No more, no less.

Ironic cuz when ppl talk about the good old days for the black community one of the first things they refer to is we used to respect our elders and anyone in the community was allowed to discipline you if they saw you out there fucking up

I respect my black elders off rip.

I could not imagine what they went thru and what trauma they endured in the US or anywhere for that matter.

now if we talking if the person is abusive...that ain’t got shit to do with being an elder. That’s an older abuser.

never really rode that train....i understood at a young age that adults, elders, people in high positions, etc can be wrong...and wrong is wrong

I "respect" elders around me by letting them go by or asking if they need help with something but I never took it as just shut the fuck up if they're wrong, because they're older than you lol

if im parked somewhere and notice its older people next to me I probably wont bang my music or just let all the smoke out on em lol....at the same time I did not have this regard as a teen

its good to learn respect and manners but some people just need to live more to really understand why

Older folks get that extra respect and a lil bit of extra rope off the bat but shit has to be reciprocated. I’m grown so I ain’t in the position of kid. they disrespect their elders so much these days

Respect your elders means more than what it sounds like on the surface.

They most likely know more than you so respect what they tell you pertaining to something. Damn youngins think they know every damn thing

Last edited:
I really dont believe in respecting ppl just because they are older than you.

I've said this on here before and 100% agree.

As I asked before when I was having a discussion about this. What makes a person an elder? What standards is there in general to deem some an elder for them to automatically get a certain level of respect that one doesn't give to other people?

Older folks get that extra respect and a lil bit of extra rope off the bat but shit has to be reciprocated. I’m grown so I ain’t in the position of kid. they disrespect their elders so much these days

Respect your elders means more than what it sounds like on the surface.

They most likely know more than you so respect what they tell you pertaining to something. Damn youngins think they know every damn thing

Have the elders really given them examples and reasons to respect them?

Back