Welcome To aBlackWeb

“HBCUs and its commitment to anti-Blackness” violations and abuse thread LATEST: HOWARD STUDENTS COUGHING UP BLOOD / DORMS UNINHABITABLE

Fair or Foul?

• Fair, an institution is able to do what it wants when it wants

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • Foul, its clear hes trying to better his life

Votes: 2 40.0%

• Total voters
Sounds more like a class situation than a black situation then. I think people tend to say anti-black when it’s really about class because they equate poor with black. That in itself to me is problematic.

It is. That's why I specified the classism that exists on the campuses. The classism is based in ideas of things that some would label anti Black but that's a separate discussion from this Howard situation. What's going on with these living conditions is more mismanagement of money than anti Blackness

This sounds snobby, but I kind of understand where the administration is coming from.

At least from a late 80's/early 90's perspective.

Means to an end, but this just seems like something to make sure the kids would have the best chance of getting a job after graduating.

Might be different for women, but I think most black men with locs would have a hard time finding a job in Corporate America.

Hard enough for black men without locs to get a job in Corporate America.

Don't agree with banning students, but I understand the logic behind it.

Basically, from the administration's perspective, they're just giving the kids the best chance of finding employment.

A decision like that also promotes the idea that bullshit like whether or not you have locs vs your actual qualifications for a job matter on equal footing. The logic is ultimately faulty because it just serves to reinforce the idea of what white people find presentable.

I remember when I graduated my uncle constantly kept telling me "You won't get a job unless you shave that beard" because he grew up in a time where unless you had that silly ass Carl Winslow mustache you didn't look professional. He legit would be shocked I'd go on interviews without a completely shaven face and was shocked when I was still getting call backs for 2nd interviews and job offers. Alot of that old mentality is still being pushed and it's not only outdated its just dumb

A decision like that also promotes the idea that bullshit like whether or not you have locs vs your actual qualifications for a job matter on equal footing. The logic is ultimately faulty because it just serves to reinforce the idea of what white people find presentable.

I remember when I graduated my uncle constantly kept telling me "You won't get a job unless you shave that beard" because he grew up in a time where unless you had that silly ass Carl Winslow mustache you didn't look professional. He legit would be shocked I'd go on interviews without a completely shaven face and was shocked when I was still getting call backs for 2nd interviews and job offers. Alot of that old mentality is still being pushed and it's not only outdated its just dumb

I agree, but I still understand the reasoning behind it.

Maybe it's gotten better now, but back in the 80's/90's.....if you didn't assimilate to some degree.........you'd just be working against yourself.

I agree, but I still understand the reasoning behind it.

Maybe it's gotten better now, but back in the 80's/90's.....if you didn't assimilate to some degree.........you'd just be working against yourself.

I completely understood where Hampton was coming from and what they were trying to do...but they also showed not only were they behind the times in terms of what's become more culturally accepted but also showed that they still value what white folks think in terms of what a successful person is supposed to look like. That's where the backlash from that decision came from.

So this is about Howard solely or all HBCUs? Also on the app is there, and it's been a long time since I filled one out, a part asking about criminal record. If so then they may be trying to get him on withholding info as oppose to denying him because he has felony/ies

Sounds more like a class situation than a black situation then. I think people tend to say anti-black when it’s really about class because they equate poor with black. That in itself to me is problematic.

Classism and racism are intertwined in the US forever. The upper class is viewed as white Hampton wants their business students to be upper class so no locs cuz white folks fear locs. It’s one thing to want better it’s a whole other thing to take away my culture because it scares folks.

Lol remember when @Old Man Cain and @Mister B. were all offended by this thread
I still am. This seems like severe mismanagement, rather than "anti-black" practices. We've seen anti-black activities at schools. They were nothing like this. This is more of a case of trash administration practices.

I don't what collegiate school YOU went to - if you even went to one at all - but there's no way people would refer to this as "anti-black" practices rather than shitty leadership of the school.

Meanwhile, at my alma mater, Delaware State University.....
DelaStateUniv_1475-1300x704.jpg

The newest dorm, Tubman-Laws Hall, opened in Fall 2019. Solid as FUCK.

Last edited:
I still am. This seems like severe mismanagement, than "anti-black" practices. We've seen anti-black activities at schools. They were nothing like this. This is more of a case of trash administration practices.

I don't what collegient school YOU went to - if you even went to one at all - but there's no way people would refer to this as "anti-black" practices rather than shitty leadership of the school.

So it’s just about how the thread labeled oh ok

Whenever I hear my friends who went to HBCUs talk about they always struggle when the topic of how classist alot of the things that happen on the campuses are. There's alot of respectability politics shit that happens on hbcu campuses and alot of those students are only their cuz their parents made them go. They'd prefer to be at a PWI
I'm an hbcu grad and I can honestly say that in my entire time at Tenn. St. I never met one student that the bolded applied to. I had more than my fair share of issues with TSU while I was there but as unhappy as I was with the administration and as pissed off as I was the bolded never applied to me and I never met anyone that it applied to. I was a mad ass student/alumni and I gravitated towards similar minded people and as pissed as we all were with school administration the bolded never crossed any of our minds. You'll be hard pressed to find a student/alumni who was as pissed as their school as I was. With that being said I honestly have no idea what @BlackRain is talking about.

Back