Welcome To aBlackWeb

Poll Is Black Thought The Best Lyricist?

Is Black Thought The Best Lyricist?

• Yes, Black Thought Is The Best Lyricist

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • No, Black Thought Is Not The Best Lyricist

Votes: 16 80.0%

• Total voters
Imo there's a few outside of the usual greats that i think can bang with him bar for bar.
Budden
Royce
Cyhi
Banks
Styles
Young Chris

giphy.gif

What does lyricist mean to you?

When you look at the lyrics on paper and don't listen to the song.

Lyricist = wordplay, alliteration, assonance, metaphors, similes, hyperbole, storytelling, language, timing, internal rhyme scheme, subject matter, also how many words you can fit into a bar.

Lyricist is not =/= cadence, delivery, stage presence nor production

Body of work/discography plays a part in discussing the best lyricist. You could be lyrical like, say, Canibus. But Canibus' body of work doesn't stand up to Black Thought's imo.

When you look at the lyrics on paper and don't listen to the song.

Lyricist = wordplay, alliteration, assonance, metaphors, similes, hyperbole, storytelling, language, timing, internal rhyme scheme, subject matter, also how many words you can fit into a bar.

Lyricist is not =/= cadence, delivery, stage presence nor production

Body of work/discography plays a part in discussing the best lyricist. You could be lyrical like, say, Canibus. But Canibus' body of work doesn't stand up to Black Thought's imo.
Lyrical means what to you then?

Lyrical means what to you then?

"wordplay, alliteration, assonance, metaphors, similes, hyperbole, storytelling, language, timing, internal rhyme scheme, subject matter, also how many words you can fit into a bar."

^^^ That, but how it looks on paper, not how it sounds. Snoop might have one of the best flows in Hip Hop, but he's far from the best lyricist.

Lyrical is the emotional content of a song
Lyricist deals with the words written

That aside Black Thought easily top 5 lyricist, quite possibly in the top 3

Last edited:
I know I specified "lyricist" and I wasn't asking if he's the best storyteller or discography, I'm asking if he's the best lyricist.

But you named a few people that made zero impact.

I don't think a rapper that made zero impact can be considered a "better lyricist" than somebody that made a huge impact, even if you prefer him lyrically. It just doesn't make sense.

The reason I made this thread is because I steamed an L yesterday and watched his Funkmaster Flex freestyle that I posted in the O/P. Black Thought is like the Energizer Bunny. He keeps going, and going, and going...

ExaltedBewitchedLangur-small.gif
Do you steam L's often?

Y'all buggin now budden, cyhi, banks and styles ain't seeing black thought shiiii . If they not then who is, i haven't seen y'all counter me yet.

The Hot97 freestyle he made is the best freestyle of all time.

Even the battle rappers and the standard freestylers couldnt do it

Back