Welcome To aBlackWeb

Drake on being a Culture Vulture - "What does that even mean? I don’t understand."

Achewon87

Kitchen Lights...

Sitting down with DJ Tiffany Calver on BBC Radio 1‘s 1Xtra Rap Show, Canadian superstar Drake finally addressed those pesky “culture vulture” tags people have been placing on him.

“I hate that people think that me being into music from these kids that are trying to make it and build a name for themselves is like, ‘Oh, that’s some culture vulture,’” he admitted. “What does that even mean? I don’t understand. Would you rather me not acknowledge anything or not support? That’s some real confused hater sh*t,” Drake states in the interview.

People from all over the world have been calling Drake a “culture vulture” due to him often borrowing sounds and styles from underground subcultures like New Orleans bounce, Caribbean dancehall, and UK grime and funky house on some of his biggest hits. “I’ll never understand how supporting somebody’s song, or even going a step further, giving somebody a song or linking up.. I’ll never understand how that’s not viewed as something admirable,” he claimed, stating he samples to show support rather than to build his own career.

Head over to BBC Radio’s website to stream the full 1Xtra’s Rap Show episode now.

What do you think of his response to being called a “culture vulture?” Let us know in the comment section below. Drake is currently on his Assassination Vacation Tour which concludes on April 26 in Amsterdam.

Personally I think it’s some hater shit. He ain’t white so how is he a culture vulture? I seen his pops, he’s a nigga ass nigga.

That’s like saying I’m a culture vulture cause I’m from the UK but always liked and listened to US hip hop.

How is Drake a culture vulture? Make it make sense for me.

I thought culture vulture is like Post Malone stealing from or hopping on the black rappers wave or like the Kardashian’s rocking cornrows.

Personally I think it’s some hater shit. He ain’t white so how is he a culture vulture? I seen his pops, he’s a nigga ass nigga.

That’s like saying I’m a culture vulture cause I’m from the UK but always liked and listened to US hip hop.
:huh?::huh2:

not you homie

He been getting on that Post Malone dont call me a rapper I‘m an artist trip. I remember him saying some shit like that. What makes it worse is when he makes his ghostwriters come up with bars in which he claims hes one of the GOATs. Sit your Mini Vanilli ass down

He's an artist with an open mind who likes many different sounds. Drake likes the UK hiphop scene, he also loves dancehall and many parts of the Jamaican culture...etc. There's nothing wrong with that. Culture Vulture has become one of the most overused term today, enough already.

Last edited:
Back