TI and Gucci Debate Over Who Made Trap Muzik

Discussion in 'The Record Store' started by Goldie, Apr 9, 2018.

?

Who Created Trap Muzik

1. T.I

96.3%
  2. Gucci Mane

3.7%
  1. Goldie

Goldie King of Spades Site Owner I Am Your O.G Bank Protection

Money:
    $6,826,130
    When Gucci Mane took to Instagram on Saturday to proclaim himself "The Inventor of Trap Music", naturally there was quite a shock throughout the hip-hop community. Trap music is far and away the most popular and influential genre of rap music right now, and most of its biggest artists credit Gucci Mane for their success.

With the Instagram post, Gucci stated that his 2005 album Trap House was the original trap rap album. However, T.I. wasn't going to take that statement lying down, and took to Instagram today to stake his own claim as the inventor of trap music.

The photo, a screenshot of the Wikipedia entry for T.I.'s second album Trap Muzik, clearly shows its August 19, 2003, release date. So if we're talking purely about hard facts, then Tip has Gucci beat by two years. He captioned the post, "Ok,so.... AGAIN for the slow ones in the back... August 19th,2003 Birth of Trap Muzik & Only fools dispute facts!!! FOH wit that Christopher Columbus ass... “Look what I discovered,even though they was already here ass shit!!!!” WITCHO GOOD CAPPIN ASS ."

T.I. makes some bold claims here, but he may have a point. However, music genres aren't set in stone. They take bits and pieces of inspiration from everywhere, so in most cases it's difficult to say who exactly invented a specific genre of music. Listening to some of the singles off Trap Muzik, only the faintest hints of what modern trap music has become are present. What's really important now isn't who invented the genre, but who is continuing it's legacy by evolving the genre, just like Gucci and T.I. both have.

• LOL LOL x 4
  2. Cain

Cain Prominent Member Bank Protection

Money:
    $3,265,020
    Have to agree with TI he was the first oeeospi heard call it trap music.

• Cosign Cosign x 2
    • Ether Ether x 2
  3. 1/2

1/2 Prominent Member

Money:
    $611,010
    valid argument on both sides

Tip didnt coin "trap" but his album came out first so he has the title part won.....its all kinda songs on there tho....its a legit rap album

Gucci on the other hand can make his claim based on his sound and thats all he does, its his thing it just fits him.....and thats the sound thats still being copied to this day

Both pioneers of trap but sound nothing alike

Honestly when somebody just randomly says trap music, I think Gucci *shrugs*

• Cosign Cosign x 6
    • Ether Ether x 2
  4. SheerExcellence

SheerExcellence Active Member

Money:
    $535
    yes t.i had an album called called trap music but the damn sound and style and whole aura of it, is exemplified by Gucci, to me

• Cosign Cosign x 2
  5. Sion

Sion Legion of Trill Drake's Nut Rag Bank Protection

Money:
    $7,369,350
    T.I. is the originator and this is undisputed.

• Ether Ether x 2
  6. Goldie

Goldie King of Spades Site Owner I Am Your O.G Bank Protection

Money:
    $6,826,130
    Poll's been added

• Wack Wack x 1
  7. Cain

Cain Prominent Member Bank Protection

Money:
    $3,265,020
    TBH was sayosa the "trap" on their first album before both Gucci or TI. TI just made it a thing with his album and song

8. grYmes

grYmes King of Kings, Lord of Lords

Money:
    $109,010
    Didn’t know shit about a trap or ATL shit like that until TI. I will say this, Jeezy took that shit and went harder in that lane than TI did IMO. At one point everyone had them damn snowman long T’s in my hood.

• Cosign Cosign x 4
    • Goat Goat x 3
  9. SC_FWM

SC_FWM Dear Tomorrow, I'm gonna fuck you up

Money:
    $170
    I think the first person i heard use the term "trap" in reference to selling dope, is T.I....but i think Gucci sold more dope than T.I in real life though...

• LOL LOL x 2
  10. KINGEC

KINGEC Outchea, Bih

Money:
    $251,160
    He ain't wrong. TIP brought it to mainstream with "Dope Boyz" in 2001, then the album/term "Trap Muzik" in '03. Jeezy and Shawty Redd gave it a signature sound and blew that shit up. Nigga had kids suspended from school wearing snowman t-shirts. lol! I just consider wop the A&R of it. *shrugs*.

There were niggas before them talking about that lifestyle like UGK, Three-6, Master P, Ghetto Mafia even Outkast referred to the "Trap" couple times.

• Cosign Cosign x 4
    • Goat Goat x 3
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2018
  11. Fox Mulder

Fox Mulder I Want To Believe What Are YOU Driving, My Brotha

Money:
    $2,016,220
    What is trap music exactly?

• Cosign Cosign x 1
  12. 313 Wayz

313 Wayz Prominent Member

Money:
    $504,595
    Big Boi - SpottieOttieDopalicious (1998)

The United Parcel Service and the people at the post office /
    didn’t call you back because you had cloudy piss /
    So now you back at the trap just that, trapped /
    Go on and marinate on that for a minute.

• Goat Goat x 9
    • Cosign Cosign x 3
    • Ether Ether x 2
  13. Chicity

Chicity GameChanger Staff Member ChiMonger Funniest Member of 2017 Unrestricted Free Agent Bank Protection

Money:
    $3,001,737
    TI gave it a lane

Jeezy gave it a sound

Everyone else fell in line.

TI the spearhead tho imo

Truth be told I never heard of Gucci until the internet. No one I knew was playing Gucci back then now everyone wanna act like they been on. Samething happened with Wayne, UGK, Cole......

• Cosign Cosign x 4
    • Goat Goat x 1
    • LOL LOL x 1
  14. Fox Mulder

Money:
    $2,016,220
    Like drill music in Chicago has a certain rhythm to the beat and a certain way you flow over the beat, that it's distinctive enough to give it a name.

I'm not sure what's a trap beat and a trap flow? Is two chains flow "trap" flow?

I ask cause I'm not really a fan of neither of TI or Gucci and I'm tryna understand the debate y'all are having

15. Chicity

Chicity GameChanger Staff Member ChiMonger Funniest Member of 2017 Unrestricted Free Agent Bank Protection

Money:
    $3,001,737
    For me, trap music is a drug dealers lane over banging 808’s

• Cosign Cosign x 1
  16. Fox Mulder

Money:
    $2,016,220
    I'm not trolling when I say this, honestly I'm not. What is 808's, could you please give me an example? Once again, I am not at all trolling.

• LOL LOL x 2
  17. Beta

Beta Prominent Member Bank Protection

Money:
    $5,687,865
    yo bro you know them drums you usually hear in some down south trap shit? lol Those are 808s

18. KINGEC

KINGEC Outchea, Bih

Money:
    $251,160
    The drums (bass) that originated from the roland TR-808 drum machine but they're tweaked heavily nowaday.

• Cosign Cosign x 2
  19. Fox Mulder

Money:
    $2,016,220
    Could you give me an example, I've always been a lyrics guy and just appreciated the beats as the assist to good rhymes and never learned the specifics like that.

So when you say the drums in southern beats, ion understand. There's drums in all of hiphop, what's an 808 beat sound like?

20. BRIAN B.

BRIAN B. FUCK THE MAVEN!!! LONG LIVE THE I.C.

Money:
    $4,795

• LOL LOL x 4
    • Goat Goat x 1