Welcome To aBlackWeb

The Official 2017/18 Football/Soccer Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since 2008/09....

Champions League has been won by Barca 3 times and Real Madrid 3 times so you're right in that respect. a total of 6 of the last 9 finals went to Spain.
However 2 out of the 3 times Barca won it, was against English opposition i.e. Fergie's Man United (not this transition team) in the finals
Also more importantly 2 out of the 3 times Real won it, was against Spanish opposition i.e. Atletico Madrid. So let's not discredit those all Spanish finals.

UEFA Cup/Europa League has been won by Sevilla 3 times and Atletico Madrid 2 times. a total of 5 of the last 9 finals went to Spain.
However 1 of the 3 times Sevilla won it, was against English opposition i.e. Liverpool
Also more importantly 1 of the 2 times Atletico won it, was against Spanish opposition i.e. Athletic Bilbao. The other 1 was against English opposition i.e. Fulham.

The whole point of the European cup competitions is to pit the best of the best, and it's a fact La Liga teams IN BOTH European competitions have been dominating all other European league teams

If were talking best of the best, there only needs to be 16 teams in the comp. A lot teams are just there to fill a group.

It's already been stated that the EL was a meaningless trophy to English teams for a while. Winning it is only good for getting into the CL. The big six are looking at winning the PL and CL above of all else. The only saving grace would be the FA Cup. The Europa league ain't all that. Raise your standards.

Like I and others have said, a 38 game league campaign would prove all. One is more/most competitive and the other has better technical footballers.

If were talking best of the best, there only needs to be 16 teams in the comp. A lot teams are just there to fill a group.

It's already been stated that the EL was a meaningless trophy to English teams for a while. Winning it is only good for getting into the CL. The big six are looking at winning the PL and CL above of all else. The only saving grace would be the FA Cup. The Europa league ain't all that. Raise your standards.

Like I and others have said, a 38 game league campaign would prove all. One is more/most competitive and the other has better technical footballers.

The EL is meaningless lol.....so that's why Liverpool went out their way to go all the way to the final two years ago and just decided to lose to a Spanish team? I didn't go back 15 years on that fact.
Winning it is good for the simple fact it is a trophy. It has additional benefits/merit where it relates to Champions League qualification and UEFA Super Cup. But no one and certainly not I was stating that this was the top tier trophy, in fact I used it to prove otherwise which leads me onto...

At the bold, you can't be serious. First you say the Spanish teams only dominate in the Champions League because it's Real/Barca that's really putting in the work against all other English sides.

Then I drop the standards with both leagues to compare mid-tier Spanish teams (i.e. non Real/Barca) vs mid-tier English teams in EL and prove the trend consistently run true in that competition too.

If there was a "best of the worst" Europe tournament whereby to qualify you had to finish in the bottom 5 of your domestic league, you don't think Spanish teams will still outplay the English sides and others?

The EL is meaningless lol.....so that's why Liverpool went out their way to go all the way to the final two years ago and just decided to lose to a Spanish team? I didn't go back 15 years on that fact.
Winning it is good for the simple fact it is a trophy. It has additional benefits/merit where it relates to Champions League qualification and UEFA Super Cup. But no one and certainly not I was stating that this was the top tier trophy, in fact I used it to prove otherwise which leads me onto...

At the bold, you can't be serious. First you say the Spanish teams only dominate in the Champions League because it's Real/Barca that's really putting in the work against all other English sides.

Then I drop the standards with both leagues to compare mid-tier Spanish teams (i.e. non Real/Barca) vs mid-tier English teams in EL and prove the trend consistently run true in that competition too.

If there was a "best of the worst" Europe tournament whereby to qualify you had to finish in the bottom 5 of your domestic league, you don't think Spanish teams will still outplay the English sides and others?
Let's just hope they draw Atletico eventually lol.

Its such a shame Mbappe is hidden away in Ligue 1, He is having such an amazing season. Cant wait to watch him dominate the World Cup....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back