Welcome To aBlackWeb

DISCUSSION - Why Shouldn't Men Cry??..

AP2.5

Beef Authority
Site Administrator
Crying is something that everyone does; it’s a normal part of life. However, if you’re male, then there are often different standards applied. The issue is that too many times and unnecessarily some people associate men crying with being weak, effeminate, or gay. The projection conveyed is that a man is somehow less than whole if any or too much emotion is displayed.

Crying is important because it:
  • releases pain;
  • helps individuals to heal;
  • isn’t a sign of a weakness;
  • allows feelings of happiness to be fully realized;
  • is a normal part of life.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/s-l-young/why-shouldnt-men-cry_b_9358854.html

An older article, but i think the point still remains. I think this is a huge elephant in the room among black men that it is not ok to cry. But why is this? Men in general, but more specifically black men are told at a very young age that crying is just not something to do. Girls are often encouraged to cry or at the very least, end up getting consoled when they cry, but men teach their sons "stop that crying right now...dont cry".

I feel this is counterproductive to the psyche of a young black impressionable child and just perpetuates this cycle that if you are a black male, and you cry, that somehow that makes you inferior.

Discuss

Ain't nothing wrong with crying, I cried when my nephew passed. Nothing wrong with showing emotion
i think thats an expected reaction

I guess my main point for creating the thread was in the relationship context

i think thats an expected reaction

I guess my main point for creating the thread was in the relationship context

Then no, you shouldn't be crying over a damn woman. I agree with the you better toughen up mantra that dudes shouldn't be crying over stupid shit like break ups

Then no, you shouldn't be crying over a damn woman. I agree with the you better toughen up mantra that dudes shouldn't be crying over stupid shit like break ups
why not? if they are just as emotionally invested in the relationship as the female.

Why is it not ok for them to cry after a break up?

@AP21 are you talking about crying because she left you? Crying because you two had an argument? If you are sensitive and cry a lot there is nothing wrong with that. Some people are just that way and we are all adults let's stop associating everything with being gay. But I will say if you are crying all the time you might want to learn to control your emotions whether you are a man or a woman.

@AP21 are you talking about crying because she left you? Crying because you two had an argument? If you are sensitive and cry a lot there is nothing wrong with that. Some people are just that way and we are all adults let's stop associating everything with being gay. But I will say if you are crying all the time you might want to learn to control your emotions whether you are a man or a woman.

im talking about crying as a release of pain...does it matter why they broke up?

I'm not talking about like crying if you asked a chick for her number and she told you no.

what if they are going through a stage of depression?

Do you acknowledge that depression is still a stigma in the black community?

It's called life. We all got hardships b, but crying everyday aint gon change shit. Life ain't easy for anybody and trust me, ain't nobody gonna feel sorry for you but you, cuz we're all strugglin and battling demons.

Hit or miss, things can cave in on men at a point in their life and it may be to much for one to handle, so crying at that moment may help. But the caving in part, moment, can't be on some, a nigga car didnt start and you in the car beatin on the steering wheel and then burst in tears Lol. Nah I wouldn't approve of a nigga tears falling in that moment

It's called life. We all got hardships b, but crying everyday aint gon change shit. Life ain't easy for anybody and trust me, ain't nobody gonna feel sorry for you but you, cuz we're all strugglin and battling demons.

understandable, but whats the alternative? getting physical with someone? Lashing out verbal abuse?

Knock's opening part is how i view things. Shit happens from time to time, and in different amounts to people. Not everybody's cross to bear is the same size. People deal with things differently. I'm not suggesting they just start sympathy crying, but im talking about legit, just dont know what to do, what to say...so they cry

understandable, but whats the alternative? getting physical with someone? Lashing out verbal abuse?

Knock's opening part is how i view things. Shit happens from time to time, and in different amounts to people. Not everybody's cross to bear is the same size. People deal with things differently. I'm not suggesting they just start sympathy crying, but im talking about legit, just dont know what to do, what to say...so they cry

U don't know what to do, so you cry? Sounds like a weak minded nigga to me. If that's what u wanna do, then cool. That's some pussy shit to me tho.

More of why men cry, is because of all of their options have failed to get them out of their rut that they may seem to much to ask someone else like a friend or family member for help or they may think those ppl won't understand their situation, that's when, I think the tears start to fall.
Most men think they can do it all on their own and when they can't, it may get to much thus as I stated, they cry

More of why men cry, is because of all of their options have failed to get them out of their rut that they may seem to much to ask someone else like a friend or family member for help or they may think those ppl won't understand their situation, that's when, I think the tears start to fall.
Most men think they can do it all on their own and when they can't, it may get to much thus as I stated, they cry

Weak minded mfs

It might be because my mom instilled that shit in me early. She told me " You're blessed with a great mind, there's a solution for every problem, figure it out. Sitting around feeling sorry for yourself is not changing anything. Nothing is ever as bad as it seems"

If you feel you don't have a friend who will look out for you, you don't have a friend.

As long as he aint literally crying bc I ain't buy him some retro J's, a PS4 game, or for something bratty, I see nothing wrong with men crying.

I can barely associate myself with overly emotional, sensitive women who cry all the time about everything. But men are human too, so it's perfectly ok to show emotions.

Sometimes dudes cry because of joy. I've done it, I've seen some men, grown ass niggas, mouth full of golds, gray hair men, stand up men, do it off the strength of getting outta the rut when they thought they couldn't make it and they made it through, especially without any help and the payoff was great in the end, you realize and look back on the journey, the struggles and set back and sometimes you just breakdown on the strength of you just getting through the journey. That can be very emotional, especially if that goal is reached that may change your future.

To me, men cry for different reasons, a baby girl being born, your s/o, mama, dad, grand parents being strong when you know they are weak but they are still smiling, just different reason for a man to maybe shed some tears.

Again, nothing wrong with crying but you do know it is one of your first forms of expression. When you are born you come out crying because you have no other way to express yourself. Then you learn how to communicate and you begin to cry less and less (most people) so again if you are crying all the time about a lot of things then you might be suffering from an emotional issue. As adults we have other ways to express ourselves.

Back