Welcome To aBlackWeb

Can you be "woke" and date white people?

Race Jones

gangster. grace. alchemy
What are your thoughts on the media portraying strong and outspoken pro black women of color on shows/movies but their lovers end up being white men? And these relationships are portrayed as unhealthy because they're hidden initially by the black woman. (References to what I'm discussing include Sam from Dear White People, Nova from Queen Sugar and on a less overt scale, Olivia Pope from Scandal. I'll leave Annalise out of this one).

What are your thoughts on the media portraying strong and outspoken pro black women of color on shows/movies but their lovers end up being white men? And these relationships are portrayed as unhealthy because they're hidden initially by the black woman. (References to what I'm discussing include Sam from Dear White People, Nova from Queen Sugar and on a less overt scale, Olivia Pope from Scandal. I'll leave Annalise out of this one).
Why did you only use fictional characters. Why not use real people who are considered woke but not with black people. I don't know any of the people you referenced because I don't watch any of those shows.

What's the dude who had that speech at the BET awards last year but recently left his wife for a white chick. So he was woke a year ago but now he's not because of who he's dating.

Edit- Jesse Williams
Couldn't r member his name but yes that is the question. Black women were completely in love with his blackness(like that can be measured) and now he is somehow less aware because he is divorcing a black woman.

What's the dude who had that speech at the BET awards last year but recently left his wife for a white chick. So he was woke a year ago but now he's not because of who he's dating.

Edit- Jesse Williams

niggaa lol he already said it wasn't true. They took one pic together and gossip mfs ran with the story.

Why did you only use fictional characters. Why not use real people who are considered woke but not with black people. I don't know any of the people you referenced because I don't watch any of those shows.

Use whatever references you want.

I want to say yes, cuz you're not upholding blackness 1st in ur own home, n dating another POC is diff from the privilege that comes with whiteness.

that said, I've seen some of the wokest women I know settle down with white or white-passing men. I'm not talking intellectually woke - I mean the full on activists who have an ongoing n tangible impact on the community.

I think the distinction is more noticeable when its a pattern for the individual. I won't take away the wokeness of the one who primarily loves their own but by chance ended up dating a white person. The Sidney Poitiers tho...

I think it's a contradiction to be honest. I was debating with this guy who said: "There's a difference of loving white ppl and whiteness."

I think this fragmenting of whiteness/white people is dangerous.

White is not a color. White is a political definition, which represents historical, political and social privileges of a certain group that has access to dominant structures and institutions of society. "Whiteness" represents the reality and history of a certain group. When we talk about what it means to be white, then we talk about politics and certainly not about biology. Just like the term black is a political identity, which refers to a historicity, political and social realities and not to biology.

So honestly what is the difference between loving white ppl and whiteness when both identifiers are oppressive?

But still just the rumor had these mf'ers disregarding everything he had said before. It wasn't wrong last year and it wasn't wrong when that stuff happened earlier this year.

Of course I'm disregarding what that man said because word on the street is--- he cheated on his wife.

jesse williams gave a beautiful speech about black women and his wife, then cheats on her with a white woman. smh.

Fuck outta here

yup,

woke is just another stage of enlightenment......

some people are so woke they transcend restrictions like "who you can date"

at some point "woke" folk gotta start realizing there's a lotta shit they're considered "sleep" to as well....

Of course I'm disregarding what that man said because word on the street is--- he cheated on his wife.

jesse williams gave a beautiful speech about black women and his wife, then cheats on her with a white woman. smh.

Fuck outta here

lol don't do that

Back