Welcome To aBlackWeb

BREAKING - NCAA Under Fire For Illegal Activities

Goldie

I Just Want Some Chips
Site Owner
LOUISVILLE, Ky. – The NCAA death penalty, the much-discussed but 30-years-dormant nuclear option of college sports, is about to make a comeback.

They were heroes here, for many years. And now they have been party to multiple scandals and a stain so deep on the basketball program that it may never fully go away. SMU football knows the feeling.

Louisville already was ordered by the NCAA in the spring to vacate its 2013 national title because of stripper parties for recruits and players funded by a former program staffer. That was embarrassment enough. Now there is this, very strong evidence that the school is involved in high-dollar buying of players.

ab0a86097c8b6416046325d963ea8295

The United States Attorney’s Office’s announcement Tuesday could spell the end of Rick Pitino … and Louisville basketball. (AP)
Then Pitino followed it up with a national title at Louisville. He was the only coach to win championships at two different schools, cementing his status as an all-time great. And now it almost certainly will end in a fall of Shakespearian dimension.

It will end with Louisville’s shame.

Jurich, the man who stood by his basketball coach through glory and tawdriness, will be part of the shame. He elevated the football program, but showed enough desperation to bring back the tainted Bobby Petrino. He got Louisville into the Atlantic Coast Conference, a destination beyond the school’s wildest dreams, but now the league must be regretting the baggage it brought.

Pitino issued a statement Tuesday evening through his lawyer, Steve Pence, that said: “These allegations come as a complete shock to me. If true, I agree with the U.S. Attorneys Office that these third-party schemes, initiated by a few bad actors, operated to commit a fraud on the impacted universities and their basketball programs, including the University of Louisville. Our fans and supporters deserve better and I am committed to taking whatever steps are needed to ensure those responsible are held accountable.”

Pitino and Jurich both need to go. And the basketballs need to be put away for a year or more.

Shut the thing down.

There’s no other hometown college basketball team in the city of Louisville, arguably the most passionate metro area in America when it comes to that sport. It could happen. To devastating financial and civic effect.

Players have been getting paid since the beginning of time but now there is a problem:

Head coach Rick Pitino and athletic director Tom Jurich out at Louisville
11:50 AM ET
  • ESPN.com

Louisville men's basketball coach Rick Pitino is out, a source tells ESPN's Michael Eaves.

Athletic director Tom Jurich is also out at Louisville, a source tells ESPN's Jeff Goodman, after the program was linked to a federal investigation into fraud and corruption in recruiting.

Jurich and Pitino met Wednesday morning with Louisville interim president Greg Postel. After the meetings, Postel informed reporters that the school would hold a news conference at 1 p.m. and noted that Pitino and Jurich would not attend.

On Tuesday, 10 men -- including a top Adidas executive and four assistant coaches -- were charged with using hundreds of thousands of dollars in bribes to influence star athletes' choice of schools, shoe sponsors, agents, even tailors. Federal prosecutors said at least three top high school recruits were promised payments of as much as $150,000, using money supplied by Adidas, to attend two universities sponsored by the athletic shoe company. Louisville's president later confirmed the school is part of the investigation.

It marked the latest case of Pitino and his Louisville program being in the news for impropriety.

Pitino said then. "I had never heard of such a thing and it's happening in our world. Or, he's on the Adidas circuit, so the Nike schools don't want him." Pitino then added it's a very tough situation to address "because our pockets are lined with their money."

Pitino has won two national championships (his first was with Kentucky in 1996), reached seven Final Fours and won 770 career games. He's in the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame.

He's been especially great at Louisville. Since taking over in the 2001-02 season, the Cardinals have a .744 winning percentage (sixth nationally), 28 NCAA tournament wins (ninth) and three Final Four appearances (tied for sixth).

He was expected to guide what many believe is a top 10 team entering this season, a group led by Deng Adel, Quentin Snider and breakout candidate V.J. King to go with five-star center Malik Williams. According to the Westgate Las Vegas SuperBook, the Cardinals were at 15-1 odds to win the NCAA title before the Pitino news broke, trailing only Duke (6-1), Michigan State (7-1), Kentucky (10-1), Arizona (10-1), North Carolina (12-1) and Kansas (14-1).

Louisville opens the season Oct. 30 against Kentucky Wesleyan

Information from ESPN's Myron Medcalf and The Associated Press was used in this report.

SPONSORED HEADLINES

I don't follow college sports but good

They been pimping that system way too long. Slave status.

#Freethemboysorpaythemboys

never thought rick pitino would get fired

i hope this is one step closer to the NBA making the Dleague a viable alternative to college.

I would def go to some of those games if they featured top collegiate talent

...water is still wet right?

These muthafuccas are decades too late to start cracking down in this.

But I know all the NCAA schools gotta be shook tho.

Back