Welcome To aBlackWeb

Chuck D Is Salty About How Rich Jay & Diddy Are

Goldie

I Just Want Some Chips
Site Owner
"JAY-Z and Puffy arguing about who has the most money — something’s wrong with that. How many jobs have you created?" says Chuck D. "Who are you paying and what are you doing for it? It all came out from the sacrifices we made for you.” He goes on to cite the slept on lyricist Masta Ace, who has been getting by on the strength of his cult following.

"To see JAY-Z and Puffy have a playful argument about who’s going to be the top of Forbes, I look at my peer group and they’re just trying to get by. Look at a guy like Masta Ace who’s just trying to continue his art and feed his family, I just wish the distribution is a little less painful," says Chuck.

It's definitely an interesting angle to the conversation, especially when Jay & Diddy's success is often celebrated by the community at large. Still, Chuck D is a respected figure, and perhaps there's wisdom behind his claims. Still, both Jay-Z and Diddy have been actively working on ways to better the black community, including developing an app that seeks out black-owned-businesses. What do ya'll think?

Ask Masta Ace what he did with the opportunity he had. I feel too like theres probably more that Jay and Puff can do and influence. But did Masta Ace do everything in his power to not be slept on like Puff and Jay did. Or did he rest on the work of others to get him there?

Feel like if he really felt a way, he could himself start a foundation that goes into the hood to figure out what real estate can be bought and flip into something better. Then bring it to Jay and Puff directly, and if they privately waive it off. Then put public pressure on them to at least speak on why they are doing so.

Seem like he himself in the way he's going about this is an illustration of why some people fail and some people succeed. It takes more than just showing up.

This kinda like old school NBA players up till the late 90s

They all prolly a lil salty seeing the younger guys gettin payed

Players on the end of the bench makin same money that Scottie Pippen was makin w/ the Bulls.
i get what ur saying but its a little bit different....aint no collective bargaining nor revenue sharing in entertainment

doesnt matter....was it dropped on their label??

they got clothes out? liquor? apps?

Ace ever park 92 bricks in front of 560 State St?

Chuck ever send Flav to pick up cheese cake and breastmilk at 4am?

Diddy alone has sent at least 3 better artists running for a new god

what else these guys got?

Fight the Power didnt crack top 40?

Hell no.

Top 40 Radio stations didn't start playing Hip Hop until around 1992.

Before 92 you had to be really commercial like Push It, Walk This Way, U Can't Touch This, Ice Ice Baby, etc.

I can explain why.

Soundscan started in 1991. Prior to Soundscan record sales were counted by the RIAA and this is how they calculated sales; They would track how many units were shipped to retail stores. So if an album came out and the record label shipped 500,000 units (records, tapes and CDs) then the record was certified gold. Even if nobody bought the album and it was just sitting in the back room of a retail store, or a pallet of CD were sitting in a warehouse somewhere the album would still be certified gold. As you can imagine it was pretty easy for a major label to manipulate sales figures.

When Soundscan came out in 1991 they counted record sales by scanning the bar code when the customer made a purchase. I guess all the major retailers were hooked up to the internet so every time somebody bought an album that counted as one sale. If another person bought the album it would count as two sales and so on.

So the very first week of Soundscan, the #1 selling album was Niggaz4life by NWA. This shocked industry insiders because they thought music like Whitney Houston, Madonna, Bruce Springsteen and Michael Jackson were the biggest selling artists. When Soundscan started it became known officially that Rap and Heavy Metal were the biggest selling genres, not pop music. Also, NWA didn't get any radio play. They were the #1 selling album with no radio play.

So from 1991 onwards the record labels started putting money behind rap music. You could see the change if you were old enough. Socio-political rap groups like Public Enemy, X Clan, Boogie Down Productions, etc. got pushed to the side and gangsta rap got heavily marketed and promoted.

Remember that article that people post every once in a while about some white industry insider that went to a meeting and they concocted a plan to market and promote gangsta rap? Well that was around the same time that Soundscan started and they realized that Rap was outselling top 40.

Anyway, Yo! MTV Raps and Rap City played the Fight The Power video but it didn't get played on the radio. That's how rap music was promoted, via music videos. Top 40 stations didn't start playing rap music until around 1992.

Hell no.

Top 40 Radio stations didn't start playing Hip Hop until around 1992.

Before 92 you had to be really commercial like Push It, Walk This Way, U Can't Touch This, Ice Ice Baby, etc.

I can explain why.

Soundscan started in 1991. Prior to Soundscan record sales were counted by the RIAA and this is how they calculated sales; They would track how many units were shipped to retail stores. So if an album came out and the record label shipped 500,000 units (records, tapes and CDs) then the record was certified gold. Even if nobody bought the album and it was just sitting in the back room of a retail store, or a pallet of CD were sitting in a warehouse somewhere the album would still be certified gold. As you can imagine it was pretty easy for a major label to manipulate sales figures.

When Soundscan came out in 1991 they counted record sales by scanning the bar code when the customer made a purchase. I guess all the major retailers were hooked up to the internet so every time somebody bought an album that counted as one sale. If another person bought the album it would count as two sales and so on.

So the very first week of Soundscan, the #1 selling album was Niggaz4life by NWA. This shocked industry insiders because they thought music like Whitney Houston, Madonna, Bruce Springsteen and Michael Jackson were the biggest selling artists. When Soundscan started it became known officially that Rap and Heavy Metal were the biggest selling genres, not pop music. Also, NWA didn't get any radio play. They were the #1 selling album with no radio play.

So from 1991 onwards the record labels started putting money behind rap music. You could see the change if you were old enough. Socio-political rap groups like Public Enemy, X Clan, Boogie Down Productions, etc. got pushed to the side and gangsta rap got heavily marketed and promoted.

Remember that article that people post every once in a while about some white industry insider that went to a meeting and they concocted a plan to market and promote gangsta rap? Well that was around the same time that Soundscan started and they realized that Rap was outselling top 40.

Anyway, Yo! MTV Raps and Rap City played the Fight The Power video but it didn't get played on the radio. That's how rap music was promoted, via music videos. Top 40 stations didn't start playing rap music until around 1992.

Like 1/2 said , it's less about chart position and more about their hustle. A nigga like Tech n9ne is a millionaire and I doubt he's ever been on the charts, shit even the rap charts. But his hustle game is on point.

Its not how much money you make, its about how much of the money you keep.

I'm sure there's rappers (and athletes) that make millions when they're at their peak and they think the money is just going to keep flowing in.

Then when their career goes downhill they don't have any money left because they spent it on cases of champagne, rolexes, rims on the Bentley, a Ferrari, a big fat mansion with 30 rooms along with coke, weed, heroin, ecstasy, etc.

I remember seeing that's what happened to Scott Storch.

A lot of that money is all smoke and mirrors.

I feel where Chuck D is coming from 100% but he should maybe talk to those two guys in private instead of doing this in public.

His point is great but will be lost on many folks because they will look at the way he presented it as opposed to what he is saying. I get that anybody has the right to flaunt what they have because they’ve worked hard to get it but both gentleman are OG’s in the game. So you would think (especially Jay after 4:44) flaunting would kind of get old.

I feel where Chuck D is coming from 100% but he should maybe talk to those two guys in private instead of doing this in public.

His point is great but will be lost on many folks because they will look at the way he presented it as opposed to what he is saying. I get that anybody has the right to flaunt what they have because they’ve worked hard to get it but both gentleman are OG’s in the game. So you would think (especially Jay after 4:44) flaunting would kind of get old.

Does Jay really ever flaunt? Becoming a billionaire warrants a few brags, but it's not like he's at the strip club throwin money or takin money phone pics. Plus he's put a lot of people on and created jobs for money blacks and has shown other niggas steps on how to get where he's at. Not to mention the new app both him and diddy are working on for black businesses. What has Chuck D done?

who ever said they were flossing tho? they been rich, this is their lives lol

Jay has probably outballed all of us every day by the time breakfast is over.....cant help that

and even a private talk to them about their money doesnt make sense and neither would go for it

maybe Chuck really wanted to take aim at the industry and how its structured (business over talent) and they got caught in the cross hairs for being on top

Back