Welcome To aBlackWeb

Common Opens Up About Being Molested

Goldie

I Just Want Some Chips
Site Owner
1557257869_f1b01bf887d18ff4d3252a02d3b66c32.jpg

Grammy-winning rapper Common has debuted his new memoir Let Love Have the Last Word that details a painful experience from when he was a child. The book as a whole explores the definition of love and Common's personal journey with self-love and love with both family members and partners. One passage of the book explains the moment Common was working on a scene for his role in The Tale and how a workshop for understanding his character, triggered a memory from when he was molested as a child.

“I was excited for a road trip I was about to take with my family. My mother; my godmother, Barbara; her son and my godbrother Skeet; and his relative, who I’ll call Brandon…” the memoir reads

Common was just nine or 10-years-old at the time and once they arrived at their destination, he and Brandon were made to share a bed together.

“At some point I felt Brandon’s hand on me,” he writes. “I pushed him away. I don’t remember saying a whole lot besides ‘No, no, no’…He kept saying ‘It’s okay, It’s okay,’ as he pulled down my shorts and molested me. After he stopped he kept asking me to perform it on him. I kept repeating ‘No’ and pushing him away,” he continued. “I felt a deep and sudden shame for what happened.”

Common explains how he pushed it out of his head as a means to cope with the traumatic event. “Maybe it’s a matter of survival—Even now, two years after that flash resurgence of memories, as I’m writing, I’m still working through all of this in myself and with my therapist.”

“At some point I felt Brandon’s hand on me,” he writes. “I pushed him away. I don’t remember saying a whole lot besides ‘No, no, no’…He kept saying ‘It’s okay, It’s okay,’ as he pulled down my shorts and molested me. After he stopped he kept asking me to perform it on him. I kept repeating ‘No’ and pushing him away,” he continued. “I felt a deep and sudden shame for what happened.”
giphy.gif

You'll be shocked at the number of ppl shit like this has happened to. Its fucked up but unfortunately it's more common than you would think.

No pun intended

Last edited:
word, i had a cousin from down south who was supposed to be baby sitting me do some fucked up shit to me when i was a kid..... but she was a chick.. and i ain't exactly say no, i just ain't know what the fuck we was doing....

i do tie that to a lotta the sexual anxiety i had growing up though...sometimes i got in intimate situations and just sat there and ain't know what to do, like i was when i was that kid... i just freeze up.....

took alcohol and weed to help me relax enough to start having sex....over the years i didn't necessarily need it anymore.. but always prefer to be buzzed before getting sexual

word, i had a cousin from down south who was supposed to be baby sitting me do some fucked up shit to me when i was a kid..... but she was a chick.. and i ain't exactly say no, i just ain't know what the fuck we was doing....

i do tie that to a lotta the sexual anxiety i had growing up though...sometimes i got in intimate situations and just sat there and ain't know what to do, like i was when i was that kid... i just freeze up.....

took alcohol and weed to help me relax enough to start having sex....over the years i didn't necessarily need it anymore.. but always prefer to be buzzed before getting sexual

I'm almost positive you spoke on that on the IC a few years ago. Prolly a thread about some teacher fuckin with students that ended up with a surprising number of us in the thread opening up about shit like this that happened as kids with an older chick.

Back