Welcome To aBlackWeb

DJ Paul Sues Travis Scott For $20M

Goldie

I Just Want Some Chips
Site Owner
According to legal documents obtained TMZ, Three 6 Mafia's DJ Paul is suing Travis Scott over the chorus of his 2018 track "No Bystanders." Paul claims the song's "Fuck the club up, fuck the club up" chant is nearly identical to the hook on Three 6 Mafia's 1997 record "Tear Da Club Up."

Paul points out that the lyrics are delivered in a similar cadence and that Travis even used Paul's original lines during his 2019 Grammys performance. Listen for yourself below:
Paul claims Travis was never authorized to use a portion of Three 6 Mafia's song; he is, therefore, seeking the profits from "No Bystanders"—an estimated $20 million—and is requesting the track be pulled.

A rep for DJ Paul tells Complex both parties are in communication regarding the dispute.

DJ Paul, in a statement to Complex, said: "Travis Scott and I have been in touch personally about this matter, he is aware of the situation, as is his label. Everything will be worked out accordingly with proper communication between he, Juicy J, and I. There is no beef, just business. It’s bothersome that media outlets would choose to put out any information without getting all of their facts straight, which would include speaking with any of us about the situation directly. We all have a job to do, I just wish more people would do their jobs professionally. Thank you to those who have. Right now my focus is my new album, the tour I’m about to go on, and all the exciting work that I have coming up for y’all, so stay tuned!"

"No Bystanders" was a standout cut from Travis' 2018 ASTROWORLD album. The project debuted at No. 1 on the Billboard 200 and earned Travis multiple Grammy nominations.

News of the lawsuit arrives just days after Travis was ordered to pay six figuresto Minneapolis promotion company PJAM. The plaintiff sued Travis for skipping out on a 2018 Super Bowl gig, for which he was allegedly paid a $150,000 advance. PJAM claims they also shelled out $10,000 to his book agent and covered the costs of transportation and concert promotion. The company was ultimately rewarded $400,000, but Travis' attorney Howard King is confident that figure will go down.

"The jury verdict of $383k is disappointing, but far less than the seven figure demands made by the promoters," King told TMZ. "We believe the verdict will be substantially reduced or overturned in subsequent proceedings."

This is a bad look for hiphop.

Travis Scott needs to get on the phone with DJ Paul and sort this isht out.

Travis needs to pay the man something for basically flipping an old 36 Mafia song but not no $20 million... c'mon son!

I think he suing over cadence and not a sample which is bullshit IMO

But for those who was with Marvin Gaye game vs RT and Pharrell should be with Paul on this dumb shit

Not even remotely the same.

Marvin's estate sued cause the MUSIC to BL sounded damn near exactly like Got to Give It Up.

Paul suing cuz Travis bite some bars and said it like Paul did.

Homie asking for 20 mil over some words said in the same cadence as an homage = broke
Paul always said he will greenlight anybody who wants to sample 36 just as long as they reach out..he ain't getting 20M but feel he trying make a statement.

Not even remotely the same.

Marvin's estate sued cause the MUSIC to BL sounded damn near exactly like Got to Give It Up.

Paul suing cuz Travis bite some bars and said it like Paul did.

Sheet music was two completely different songs. COMPLETELY DIFFERENT

Same shit here

This is a bad look for hiphop.

Travis Scott needs to get on the phone with DJ Paul and sort this isht out.

Travis needs to pay the man something for basically flipping an old 36 Mafia song but not no $20 million... c'mon son!

Dj Paul asking for 20 mil so he can grow a new arm

FOH broke ass nigga

Homie asking for 20 mil over some words said in the same cadence as an homage = broke

Paul always said he will greenlight anybody who wants to sample 36 just as long as they reach out..he ain't getting 20M but feel he trying make a statement.

Or he askin for 20 mill so they can settle lower

Actually $20 Mil is right.

The term of copyright for a particular work depends on several factors, including whether it has been published, and, if so, the date of first publication. As a general rule, for works created after January 1, 1978, copyright protection lasts for the life of the author plus an additional 70 years.

https://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/faq-duration.html

Let's say Travis Scott lives for another 30 years. The copyright is good for that 30 years he's alive + another 70 years = 100 years.

How much money will that Travis Scott song generate over the next 100 years? And DJ Paul thinks the song was inspired by his original song!?!?

It's entirely possible that the Travis Scott song will generate $100 Million over the next 100 years. DJ Paul asking for $20 Mil is the right amount imo.

Last edited:
Back