Welcome To aBlackWeb

LL Cool J & Ice Cube Preparing To Purchase Sports TV Stations

Goldie

I Just Want Some Chips
Site Owner
LL Cool J and Ice Cube have their sights set on several lucrative sports channels. As reported by TMZ, the two veterans are part of a "powerful group looking to bid on 22 regional sports channels." How did all these sports channels suddenly become available? Blame it all on Disney. The billion-dollar entertainment company scooped up 21st Century Fox, but lawmakers believe that since Disney owns ESPN, they shouldn't be able to own all of Fox's sports networks. The Justice Department is forcing Disney to sell the sports stations. That includes Fox Sports San Diego, Fox Sports Arizona, Fox Sports Detroit, Fox Sports Southwest, and so on. Nestled in the list of channels is the YES Network.

Acquiring the YES Network would be lucrative for whoever nabs the New York-based sports channel that broadcasts Yankee games. The Yankees have one of the most loyal fan bases in all of sports. Disney claims that the YES Network is worth between $5 and $6 billion. That's nothing though, since the deal for all 22 sports channels is expected to be between $15 and $25 billion. Cube and LL have aligned themselves with billionaire Alex and Ani jewelry founder Carolyn Rafaelian. Initial bids for the channels are due in on November 8.

I wish them well. I kinda wished that they got an investment group with a couple of other wealthy African/ African Americans or minorities to buy the YES network. That would be even more outstanding

"Other bidders include private equity groups Apollo Global Management and the Sinclair Broadcast Group, but Ice Cube and LL have teamed up with billionaire Carolyn Rafaelian, giving them a huge advantage. Sources close to the situation say that the group is currently in talks with other possible investors interested in bidding alongside them, with the initial bids taking place as soon as tomorrow (Nov. 8)."

From the Complex article.

Back