Welcome To aBlackWeb

Has The #MeToo Movement Done More Harm Than Good?

Has The #MeToo Movement Done More Harm Than Good

• Total voters

Goldie

I Just Want Some Chips
Site Owner
Of course it's great that more women are speaking up on acts of harassment & abuse that they've experienced and we're seeing the predators get publicly lynched and hopefully tried in court.

The issue comes when the women who are supposedly "speaking their truth" are lying and taking advantage of the movement, knowing the second they say something happened to them, the #metoo sympathizers are going to automatically believe them. Even without due process, evidence, just simply their word.

In your opinion, has the #metoo movement done more harm than good?​

Of course it's great that more women are speaking up on acts of harassment & abuse that they've experienced and we're seeing the predators get publicly lynched and hopefully tried in court.

The issue comes when the women who are supposedly "speaking their truth" are lying and taking advantage of the movement, knowing the second they say something happened to them, the #metoo sympathizers are going to automatically believe them. Even without due process, evidence, just simply their word.

More good. While yes it may be some women that lie that percentage is extremely low. Even with this movement victims of sex crimes arent really believed or taken serious.

The anti metoo movement is the whole reason the movement needed to happen. Folks out here thinking rapists only fit one stereotype and this is letting folks know anybody can be a predator

More good. While yes it may be some women that lie that percentage is extremely low. Even with this movement victims of sex crimes arent really believed or taken serious.

The anti metoo movement is the whole reason the movement needed to happen. Folks out here thinking rapists only fit one stereotype and this is letting folks know anybody can be a predator

Here's where you and everyone else is wrong about this:

Sexual harassment is not a crime; it never was. Pressuring a chick (or dude for that matter) for sex in exchange for favorable treatment, a job, or anything like that is not illegal. It's unethical, but not against the law. Likewise, coming on to someone isn't illegal as well, it can be creepy, unnerving, or unethical in the workplace, but it's not illegal.

The majority of the men and the two or three women that have been caught up in this "movement" and have lost their jobs, had their lives destroyed, and are forced to defend themselves in the court of public opinion never did anything illegal to begin with. They'll never see a day in court because there's nothing to charge them with. The distinction between rape/sexual assault and harassment isn't being made, so people like you are sitting off thinking these people committed a crime when, in fact, that's not the case.

Words mean things; it's about time y'all understood that.

Sexual harassment is not a crime; it never was. Pressuring a chick (or dude for that matter) for sex in exchange for favorable treatment, a job, or anything like that is not illegal. It's unethical, but not against the law. Likewise, coming on to someone isn't illegal as well, it can be creepy, unnerving, or unethical in the workplace, but it's not illegal.

The majority of the men and the two or three women that have been caught up in this "movement" and have lost their jobs, had their lives destroyed, and are forced to defend themselves in the court of public opinion never did anything illegal to begin with. They'll never see a day in court because there's nothing to charge them with. The distinction between rape/sexual assault and harassment isn't being made, so people like you are sitting off thinking these people committed a crime when, in fact, that's not the case.

So you never heard somebody being fired for sexual harassment or sued over it? Not going to prison dont make it legal. Also pressuring somebody for sex so they can get benefits that your provide is something you get fired for and sued for. I dont know why you excusing the shit

Nah if a chick going thru emotional distress bc her boss or supervisor pressin her for physical acts n shes worried about making money for her or her fam survivial something should be done.

U got guys that cross the line n might make the girl job a living hell if she denies him n that shit needs repercussions.

Who's fault is it if they are in fact guilty of sexual misconduct that has caused them so much devastation? How should situations as such be handled?

I think it's blown shit way out of proportion.

These chicks are coming out of the woodworks after 20-30 years to claim a dude palmed her ass once or tried to talk his way into some pussy and came on strong. That shit ain't even right. Most, if not all of us ain't the same person we were 20-30 years ago. We grow, we change, life happens, and things we once thought was fly ain't anymore. On top of that all of it is he-said-she-said shit. No supporting evidence, no backup witnesses, no pictures, no recording, no nothing. And memories of things, no matter how "traumatic" can change over time. So what comes out of your mouth today about an incident from 25 years ago might not be 100% accurate.

It's a bunch of bullshit if you ask me.

Nah if a chick going thru emotional distress bc her boss or supervisor pressin her for physical acts n shes worried about making money for her or her fam survivial something should be done.

U got guys that cross the line n might make the girl job a living hell if she denies him n that shit needs repercussions.

But it's still not ILLEGAL.

That's the part y'all are missing here. I agreed that the shit is unethical, creepy, lecherous, etc but it's still not against the law. It's an HR issue at best if it happens on the job.

I think it's blown shit way out of proportion.

These chicks are coming out of the woodworks after 20-30 years to claim a dude palmed her ass once or tried to talk his way into some pussy and came on strong. That shit ain't even right. Most, if not all of us ain't the same person we were 20-30 years ago. We grow, we change, life happens, and things we once thought was fly ain't anymore. On top of that all of it is he-said-she-said shit. No supporting evidence, no backup witnesses, no pictures, no recording, no nothing. And memories of things, no matter how "traumatic" can change over time. So what comes out of your mouth today about an incident from 25 years ago might not be 100% accurate.

It's a bunch of bullshit if you ask me.

Bruh who came out and said a boss touched them 20 years ago? I think yall be exaggerating some of these stories on some bullshit.

And either way they still a victim.

That's the part y'all are missing here. I agreed that the shit is unethical, creepy, lecherous, etc but it's still not against the law. It's an HR issue at best if it happens on the job.

So what is your complaint? That its made public?

How many guys faced jail time without a rape conviction from this me too movement?

Bruh who came out and said a boss touched them 20 years ago? I think yall be exaggerating some of these stories on some bullshit.

And either way they still a victim.

Tom Brokaw is the latest. Linda Vester, who used to work for NBC News with Tom is now claiming he harassed her back in the 90's.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...g-woman-accusation-linda-vester-a8325156.html

"A woman who worked as a war correspondent for NBC News has accused one of the network’s leading anchormen Tom Brokaw of groping her and trying to forcibly kiss her twice.

Linda Vester told Variety and The Washington Post the misbehaviour from Mr Brokaw, who was the United States’ top rated TV newsman for much of his career, took place at the NBC offices in Denver and New York in the 1990s, when she was in her 20s.

Variety said Ms Vester, now 52, showed them journals from the time which corroborated the story.
"

How this is backfiring for her, however, is damned near every other woman Tom has ever worked with is standing behind HIM, not her.

"... More than 100 women have signed a letter defending former "NBC Nightly News" anchor Tom Brokaw following a sexual harassment allegation by a former colleague.
Among the names defending Brokaw are some high-profile personalities, including MSNBC hosts Rachel Maddow and Mika Brzezinski, White House correspondent Kelly O'Donnell, chief foreign affairs correspondent Andrea Mitchell, and NBC special anchor Maria Shriver.

"As professional women, we fully endorse the conversation around abuse of power in the workplace. In the context of that conversation, we would like to share our perspectives on working with Tom Brokaw," the letter reads.

"Tom has treated each of us with fairness and respect. He has given each of us opportunities for advancement and championed our successes throughout our careers. As we have advanced across industries — news, publishing, law, business and government — Tom has been a valued source of counsel and support. We know him to be a man of tremendous decency and integrity," the letter says
..."

How many guys faced jail time without a rape conviction from this me too movement?

How many of them lost everything behind an ALLEGATION.

I think that's what's being lost on all of y'all here. These are allegations, nothing proven, nothing solid, no factual evidence. The allegation that you did something foul is what's bringing these dudes down.

The single biggest problem I have with all of it is that it sets a dangerous precedent, where accusers are automatically believed and the accused loses everything without due process.

This shit has the ability to trickle down to the street level and that's what y'all need to worry about. That chick you tried to holler at over in the call center now has the means to get you fired if you ever piss her off. She'll be believed and you'll be made out to be another Weinstein, especially if you tried to holler at a couple of other chicks and they all came forward to HR. You did nothing wrong, just tried to shoot your shot, but you're gonna get the Matt Laurer treatment because of it.

Last edited:
How many of them lost everything behind an ALLEGATION.

I think that's what's being lost on all of y'all here. These are allegations, nothing proven, nothing solid, no factual evidence. The allegation that you did something foul is what's bringing these dudes down.

That’s just a symptom of people finally considering it a serious crime. People can lose everything behind a murder allegation too, but I don’t think we should be campaigning against that.

That’s just a symptom of people finally considering it a serious crime. People can lose everything behind a murder allegation too, but I don’t think we should be campaigning against that.

Murder and sex crimes are in two completely different leagues:

Once acquitted of a murder, you're free to go about your life and the shit ultimately goes away unless your name happens to be Orenthal J. Simpson. In a lot of cases while you're on trial for the crime you're still free to continue living your life as normal if you've posted bail. You could have actually killed someone, served your time, and come out the other side and pick up the pieces of your life before going in and actually have a successful run before dying of old age.

Once you're accused of a sex crime, the shit never really goes away. You can never be convicted or even charged, for that matter, just the accusation alone is enough to fuck you up for life.

Murder and sex crimes are in two completely different leagues:

Once acquitted of a murder, you're free to go about your life and the shit ultimately goes away unless your name happens to be Orenthal J. Simpson. In a lot of cases while you're on trial for the crime you're still free to continue living your life as normal if you've posted bail. You could have actually killed someone, served your time, and come out the other side and pick up the pieces of your life before going in and actually have a successful run before dying of old age.

Once you're accused of a sex crime, the shit never really goes away. You can never be convicted or even charged, for that matter, just the accusation alone is enough to fuck you up for life.

Eh, I get what you’re saying but I don’t think the few anecdotes we’re aware of are enough to make that broad generalization.

Back