Welcome To aBlackWeb

Moving Out Of The Hood

Are Blacks Who Move Out of the Hood Sell-Outs?

• Total voters
@Ghost313 is right. bragging about the good shit you do is virtue signalling. it aint about you, it's about uplifting them regardless of whether you get recognition for it.

You gotta talk about the shit tho. If I'm doing something for the community and the next man is as well how do we know if we don't speak up? Maybe he has ideas worth pursuing on my end and vice versa. My stepfather was a pillar of the Black community in Saginaw, Mi. EVERYBODY knows him for the work he's done but when he got together with his people it was always about who's doing what in what area and how is it turning out. When we would go to Flint or Detroit for events, it was always about telling others about what you're doing in your community as a means of spreading ideas that worked for your area. It ain't about bragging, so to speak, it's about building.

Crazy thing is...

We named all these things that's wrong with our place of living...that's ok
Someone mentioned how Mexicans stick together...that's ok. But cant talk about what we do?

Crazy thing is...

We named all these things that's wrong with our place of living...that's ok
Someone mentioned how Mexicans stick together...that's ok. But cant talk about what we do?

bit of a paradox innit?

"I buss my guns and push weight out this spot on the block. Got all the fiends callin me God and shit. Got that new Lex coupe and a Range sittin on shiny shits my nigga. Got some linen fits with the platinum Rolex and Ferragamo's on my feet nigga, these niggas ain't seein my style!" - This is perfectly fine.

"I started a mentoring program in my old neighborhood as well as a hot breakfast program for schoolchildren. We're putting together some money to buy this building to turn it into a neighborhood training center for skilled trades. We're introducing a Junior Achievement program to the local high school in conjunction with the economics classes to teach kids entrepreneurial skills and whatnot". - Uppity ass bourgeois nigga bragging, stop that shit playa.

bit of a paradox innit?

"I buss my guns and push weight out this spot on the block. Got all the fiends callin me God and shit. Got that new Lex coupe and a Range sittin on shiny shits my nigga. Got some linen fits with the platinum Rolex and Ferragamo's on my feet nigga, these niggas ain't seein my style!" - This is perfectly fine.

"I started a mentoring program in my old neighborhood as well as a hot breakfast program for schoolchildren. We're putting together some money to buy this building to turn it into a neighborhood training center for skilled trades. We're introducing a Junior Achievement program to the local high school in conjunction with the economics classes to teach kids entrepreneurial skills and whatnot". - Uppity ass bourgeois nigga bragging, stop that shit playa.
Being from Detroit, you would look at the 1st nigga as a clown, and he would get robbed just because.

Nothing wrong with the 2nd person staying their accomplishments, but I've been that kid that needed free lunch, needed that box of underwear and long johns, It killed me to accept help then. Being in a position to help others now, I can't bring myself to play it up because of seeing it from their perspective. Maybe I'm still damaged in that area, but that's how I see things.

Born and raised in the hood. I got the fuck out of there soon as I was able to. I own property throughout/land back home but that's about it. We/my homies and investment partners) tried to set an example for other hustlers and young cats there but you can't make a person dude what they want to or willing to do.

I'll never forget where I'm from but I definitely got the fuck out of there without a fuck to give. Want my parents to leave but they won't and I understand it.

Last edited:
Being from Detroit, you would look at the 1st nigga as a clown, and he would get robbed just because.

Nothing wrong with the 2nd person staying their accomplishments, but I've been that kid that needed free lunch, needed that box of underwear and long johns, It killed me to accept help then. Being in a position to help others now, I can't bring myself to play it up because of seeing it from their perspective. Maybe I'm still damaged in that area, but that's how I see things.
exactly. it makes them feel like aid recipients you're doing a favor for. that's too vertical.

why would you advertise helping someone out like that, when it's supposed to be a given?

C'mon now, you know that all depends on who he is. Wasn't nobody too quick to run up on Maserati Rick, Demetrius Holloway, Bolo, Monte Carlo Steve, or cats like that and them niggas was about as flossy as it gets.

I get your position on the second one, but you gotta remember it ain't about playing it up, it's about a display of positivity coming out of the hood. It's about getting like-minded people together to do something. I look at it like this: If my stepfather never talked about the shit he was doing, there's a huge chance the committee he directed wouldn't have had the volunteers it had for shit, it wouldn't have been able to pull off the things they did. He ran that shit for over 40 years. You can't exactly do something like that without talking about it.

C'mon now, you know that all depends on who he is. Wasn't nobody too quick to run up on Maserati Rick, Demetrius Holloway, Bolo, Monte Carlo Steve, or cats like that and them niggas was about as flossy as it gets.

I get your position on the second one, but you gotta remember it ain't about playing it up, it's about a display of positivity coming out of the hood. It's about getting like-minded people together to do something. I look at it like this: If my stepfather never talked about the shit he was doing, there's a huge chance the committee he directed wouldn't have had the volunteers it had for shit, it wouldn't have been able to pull off the things they did. He ran that shit for over 40 years. You can't exactly do something like that without talking about it.
Bolo, Rick and the rest of them were high profile. They were feeding a lot of ppl, had niggas willing to catch bodies in their name. That's a different level from your avg dope boy bragging. Niggas gonna see you as a steak dinner.

I can see where you would want to promote the message to others in need of help that assistance is available. But there's a certain way to promote it. Again I am speaking from maybe a biased standpoint, but I am open to a different POV.

exactly. it makes them feel like aid recipients you're doing a favor for. that's too vertical.

why would you advertise helping someone out like that, when it's supposed to be a given?
is it advertising?

something i always say is it is perspective.

if someone told me they give free lunches to kids in need, if i takeit as bragging...its something wrong with how i see what that person is doing.

why am i taking it like bragging?
why am i not taking it as a man helping out those that cant help themselves at the moment?
why can i take it as hes a man with good moral character?

its these types of conversations that should flow freely. positive breeds positive.

i have always been a person who thinks our world needs balance.
too much of one thing can make anyone sick.

i rather hear good things if i gotta hear the bad without asking

As someone who has had a little success in life I choose to stay in a location where I could be a role model. I can see why a young successful woman may not feel comfortable in the same situation, but as a confident, able bodied guy that hits up the gun range from time to time I dont have much to worry about.

I am the only person walking around in a suit or tie in my hood. I have actually had kids come up and ask me what do, if i went to college and for what did 8 study. Anytime i can drop some knowledge and motivate youngin I'm down. I want to make sure they know there are successful people around that look like them and they are not just on TV.

With that said,

1) i am not on the hood, hood. Just an Economical depressed area with a large immigrant population, where 60%+ of people have high school or less schooling and a good portion are on SNAP.

2) I have taken an L in property value because of it. If i had invested in a "nicer" area like friends i would probably be sitting on 150k+ in home equity as opposed to my 10-15k.

3) You dont have to be in the hood to help the hood. Volunteering your expertise, time or money can be just as helpful

Last edited:
i can help but not have to live where i help...as long as i help.

i also have my own needs in life and wants and goals......my helping doesnt have to stop that and it shouldnt be looked down on because of where i choose to sleep.

are you certain.......i can post 10 houses in detroit, philly bmore or most hood where house cost that amount.

and not all them need work.

you think the hood is the hood because houses cost alot?

the crime is allowed to prosper because it lowers the property value.

every day i see homes the cost even less than $30k.

when you dont know....you dont know.
Your right, the problem is jobs. You can buy a house for 20k but if jobs that will feed a family arent around those areas it really doesnt do anything for the community.

Same way with teaching people skills. Having a skilled group of young plumbers, electricians, roofers, beauticians, welders or certified mechanics is only valuable if people can afford their talents. I have a family that went to job corp and told me stories about people moving here or there to use their new skill or get the necessary real life experiences/ apprentice hours.

As much aspeople want to help their communities that goes put the window with a 1, 2 or 3+ hour daily commute

bit of a paradox innit?

Yea but we all see a problem with that first paragraph we know thats problematic

I wouldnt want to raise my kids in a place with a lack of resources. I think most people would love to build up the hood but aint got time.

Back