Welcome To aBlackWeb

Good movie

The 3 main female characters killed it.

Only beefs are the forced gay character. (The Kings assistant was a batty boy.)

And the light skinned vampire in Brooklyn they obviously thru in for sex appeal. His character sucked.

• Ether
Reactions: GNS
So this is the movie where they take a tribe that's been known as one of the main warring, enslaving and selling tribes in West Africa and try to present them to us as heroes because they had all-female warrior groups?

Bruh, name a culture that has nothing bad associated with it. They could literally never make a movie celebrating any group of humans if they were only allowed to celebrate perfect people. Stop this shit. Pretty much every African civilization engaged in slavery at some point or another.

Bruh, name a culture that has nothing bad associated with it. They could literally never make a movie celebrating any group of humans if they were only allowed to celebrate perfect people. Stop this shit. Pretty much every African civilization engaged in slavery at some point or another.
Dahmoney's whole rise and fall was based on the slave trade. So what are we celebrating? Profiteers on the back of slaves? Does having an all-female regime of their military somehow negate that? So we should just celebrate warriors who did raids on villages, burned them to the ground, and enslaved their people. Because female power wins out?.....

Slavery isn't just anything bad. And it's not slavery in general, but slavery for my (and your) ancestors.

Plus the problem is that Dahomey didn't just engage in slavery. They enslaved and sold more Africans to Europeans than any other tribe, I believe. Believed they tried to continue with it even after the slave trade was abolished too.

Idk anything about Dahomey history but the movie ends
w them deciding not to take part in slave trade anymore and instead enter the palm oil business

Dahmoney's whole rise and fall was based on the slave trade. So what are we celebrating? Profiteers on the back of slaves? Does having an all-female regime of their military somehow negate that? So we should just celebrate warriors who did raids on villages, burned them to the ground, and enslaved their people. Because female power wins out?.....

No one is celebrating anything. It's a movie. You can appreciate a story without applauding everything else that happened. And again, if profiting from slaves means a culture can't be celebrated then literally no major African empire or kingdom can ever be celebrated because they all had slaves and profited from slave trading.

Slavery isn't just anything bad. And it's not slavery in general, but slavery for my (and your) ancestors.

Plus the problem is that Dahomey didn't just engage in slavery. They enslaved and sold more Africans to Europeans than any other tribe, I believe. Believed they tried to continue with it even after the slave trade was abolished too.

It's fine to point out the bad associated with them and hold them accountable for that, but the movie isn't about them trading slaves so watching it is not the same as celebrating the slave trading. And again, all African empires involved in slave trading. Whether its Egypt, the Mali empire, or the Swahili Coast, pretty much every African civilization that we celebrate took part in the practice.

It's also important to point out that African slavery is not comparable to American slavery and isn't any different than what every other culture was doing since the beginning of written human history.

No one is celebrating anything. It's a movie. You can appreciate a story without applauding everything else that happened. And again, if profiting from slaves means a culture can't be celebrated then literally no major African empire or kingdom can ever be celebrated because they all had slaves and profited from slave trading.
The Dahomey didn't have a rich history. Their whole story centers pretty much around the slave trade. And they were brutal in how the did slave raids and treated slaves. Again, what are we celebrating? The Dahomey Amazons were doing raids too.

It's a movie, so people can enjoy it. But like I said before, it's crazy how easy it is for Hollywood to get our people to celebrate whatever they want. How many will take this film as fact, and now look up to the Dahomey.

The Dahomey didn't have a rich history. Their whole story centers pretty much around the slave trade. And they were brutal in how the did slave raids and treated slaves. Again, what are we celebrating? The Dahomey Amazons were doing raids too.

It's a movie, so people can enjoy it. But like I said before, it's crazy how easy it is for Hollywood to get our people to celebrate whatever they want. How many will take this film as fact, and now look up to the Dahomey.

Why you keep talking about celebrating? It's a movie, we ain't celebrating shit. And the story in the movie reovlves around the fight against the colonizers not the slave trade. Why are ya'll acting like people are going to the movie theatre cheering on the Triangle Trade?

Also, while it doesn't erase the role the Dahomey played in the slave trade, I do think the importance they placed on women is worth praise. Given how steeped in sexism and misogyny Western cultures are, it's not a bad thing to highlight the fact that African cultures weren't the same.

926567d24612486447c9a5c059da57400161b449.gifv

34f6820f236878a66d3255ec3c1dba6b540b4d43.gifv

21ae727d480807b86dff2dc17cc91a3040121491.gifv

6c1a8c49bcb563ba5e2d410d2dd151d7bb1ca987.gifv

Also, while it doesn't erase the role the Dahomey played in the slave trade, I do think the importance they placed on women is worth praise. Given how steeped in sexism and misogyny Western cultures are, it's not a bad thing to highlight the fact that African cultures weren't the same.

There ain't shit girl power about what they went through. They were subjected to FGM when they were taken to be Agojie. You could be forced in to becoming one if your husband bitched to the king he wanted a different wife.

There ain't shit girl power about what they went through. They were subjected to FGM when they were taken to be Agojie. You could be forced in to becoming one if you husband bitched to the king he wanted a different wifed.

You're basically describing how many of the world's ancient fighting forces operated. Everybody took 300 for a movie and didn't act like it was glorifying all the bad shit associated with the Spartans. Why are we holding a movie about African people to a different standard?

You're basically describing how many of the world's ancient fighting forces operated. Everybody took 300 for a movie and didn't act like it was glorifying all the bad shit associated with the Spartans. Why are we holding a movie about African people to a different standard?

I'm pushing back on the girl power/anti-sexism angle. That's not true at all about these women. If you want to have a conversation about 300, I'm game, but don't strawman me.

Edit: and this shit ain't ancient, this was like 100-200 years ago. Last person that these slave trading ass people sold to America died in 1940.

Last edited:
I'm pushing back on the girl power/anti-sexism angle. That's not true at all about these women. If you want to have a conversation about 300, I'm game, but don't strawman me.

I'm not strawmanning you. Those women were given a position of respect the same way the Spartan warriors were. That doesn't mean that by our standards, they weren't treated like shit. Again, you can literally go down the list of every warrior culture and hold them against our moral beliefs and all of them would be seen as fucked up. That doesn't change the fact that to the Dahomey, those women were believed to be holding a position of honor. It also doesn't change the fact, that women playing the role that they did was pretty much unheard of in Europe at the time, and even the Europeans admitted that.

Back