Welcome To aBlackWeb

Movie Night (Official Movie Discussion Thread)

Thor : Love and Thunder

Laughs,Loss and Love

PRAISE: In this fourth Thor adventure Thor embarks on a journey unlike anything he's ever faced -- a quest for inner peace. However, his retirement gets interrupted by Gorr the God Butcher, a galactic killer who seeks the extinction of the gods.
This movie brims with comedy and actually reminded me of Flash Gordon which is a good and bad thing. I thought the entire cast did a good job for the most part including: Chris Hemsworth; Christian Bale; Tessa Thompson; Jaimie Alexander; Taika Waititi; Russell Crowe and Natalie Portman.
Once again I understood the plight of the villain and actually Gorr the God Butchers backstory playing out helped with the aforementioned.
When the movie focuses on Love and loss and the possibility of experiencing it or fighting it,the film really does a fine job of displaying it.
The SFX and CGI was really stunning. The way they used the mix of color and black and white was great.
Some of the running gags really worked and actually avoided becoming annoying. Oh and the imagery used for a couple of characters I have only seen in comics until now was pretty brilliant.

PROBLEMS: Some of the campiness and jokes in some scenes went on a bit too long.It waters down some of the more serious story threads in the movie at times. I found myself begging the movie to leave this scene and place and pick up the pace.I keep hearing a lot was cut from the movie so that may have altered how much better the movie could have been

Scale of 1 to 10 a 7½
7.5 bullshit it failed as a comedy and it failed as an action movie...trash.

NOPE

NO SPOILERS NO SPOILERS

For the most part.....YEP

PRAISE: Jordan Peeles latest tale of horror about Caretakers at a California horse ranch encountering a mysterious force that affects human and animal behaviour relies on an effective blend of what's not seen but heard. He wisely uses the unseen in key scenes that work because he has already built anticipation and suspense in the minds of the audience ,thus throwing us off in a great way that gets nervous laughs and tension from the audience. His use of music is also effective from familiar songs and thunderous scores.The humor blends in well with the more dramatic threads in the movie. His visuals are also stunning and haunting bringing back memories of movies like The Amityville Horror, The Excorsist and Akira. The film gets to a point in which it completely relies on the cast so thankfully the cast : Daniel Kaluuya as OJ Haywood ; Keke Palmer as Emerald "Em" Haywood ; Steven Yeun as Ricky "Jupe" Park ; Brandon Perea as Angel Torres and Michael Wincott as Antlers Holst enough charm and enthusiasm to do so.Peele also blends in a haunting and horrific side story that is very effective. Great nods to black cowboys and classic filmaking

PROBLEMS: Once there is a reveal and I figured out what was going on the film started losing some if it's luster. It felt like I was just going through the motions to see how it would all end when I should have been at the edge of my seat. The fact that there are a couple of misteps in the last 30 minutes didn't help any. But as I said before I'm thankful for the extremely talented cast.

Scale of 1 to 10 an 8

Like 45 mins into The unbearable weight of massive talent

Something made me not see this in theaters but so far it’s pretty good

The Gray Man

Well when I'm wrong I'm wrong......

PRAISE:.....meaning I went around saying oh I'm glad this won't be another Netflix action/comedy but I will get back to that a bit later.
I actually enjoyed the action sequences, laughed at how outrageous things become and of course the dedicated performances of Ryan Gosling and Chris Evans in this movie about the CIA's top asset -- his identity known to no one -- uncovering agency secrets, doing so he triggers a global hunt by assassins set loose by his ex colleague. The directing team of the Russo Brothers offer up enough well choreographed action sequences and fight scenes to keep me watching. Evans is having the best time chewing up the scenery,while Gosling is a bit more subdued he too provides one liners with a smirk throughout the film.Its fun watching them both spit one liners at each other and I got a Mad magazine Spy VS Spy vibe from the both of them.

PROBLEMS: This flick may not be as silly as previous action comedies released this year but it never takes itself to seriously but when it attempts to enter serious territory it comes off as forced,uneven and laughable. Within its first ten minutes it starts to borrow from various well known action movies big time!! I'm talking about word for word from a well known action movie. I guess the directors and writers thought one of the action sequences in the flick was so cool they had to do it twice !! Nothing is really original here especially if you have watched movies like Mission Impossible, Assassins or any of the James Bond films. It's funny how even a couple of the characters start yelling about how things don't make sense or add up in a few of the story threads.

Scale of 1 to 10 a 6

Bullet Train

Treacherous Train Trip

PRAISE: This is one of those action comedies that shouldn't really work but for the most part this story about a seeking zen,unlucky assassin portrayed by Brad Pitt who's determined to do his job peacefully after one too many gigs has gone off the rails works. The various characters are very entertaining and so are there backstories and I'm glad the writers took the time to flesh them out.The action sequences were fun and well choreographed I couldn't stop laughing at one crazy sequence towards the end of the film.There is a Kill Bill and The Usual suspects vibe that I liked. The violence is extremely over the top and not for the faint of heart. I praise the casts commitment to the stunts and well choregraphed fight sequences they were a part of.
I really enjoyed the cameos. I really think some of the actors called some of their actor friends and said: come on it will be fun and only a days work. The film looks great with its neon to muted colors.

PROBLEMS: The film attempts to be more complex than it needs to be.Sometimes the overstylized moments overwhelmed me.There is a real cartoonish vibe here and there in the film. There are a couple of characters that are very obnoxious and I was in high anticipation to see them meet their end. Sometimes the score overwhelmed what some of the characters were saying.

Scale of 1 to 10 a 7½

PREY

Powerful Predator

PRAISE: It was a brilliant idea to set this film in the year 1719 with a story about
A skilled Comanche warrior protecting her tribe from a highly evolved alien predator that hunts humans for sport, fighting against wilderness, dangerous colonisers and this mysterious creature to keep her people safe.
Praise to Amber Midthunder as Naru and Dakota Beavers as Taabe both turning in lived in and beyond effective performances. A great thing about this movie is even when the Predator is not on screen the movie has some thrilling moments. Hats off to the crew behind the SFX and CGI with shining moments of intense visuals and shots that were mesmerizing.
I enjoyed the intensity of the action and suspense.
The violence is extremely intense and dwelling and if you are an animal lover be warned.
I really liked the design of the Predator in this film. Part primitive and futuristic. This was the best and most involving Predator film since 2010s Predators.

PROBLEMS: Characters were under developed. The film kept going back to one character and looking at the characters position i said wow they're not even going to give the character a line of dialogue?? There were some extremely predictable moments that were connected to people grand standing and being smug or brutal and I knew were they were going to end up.

Scale of 1 to 10 an 8

Day Shift

Fang Phollies

PRAISE: Jamie Foxx returns to Netflix in another action romp about A hardworking dad out to provide for his daughter uses a boring pool-cleaning job as a front for his real gig: hunting and killing vampires.The main thing I wondered about was what kind of Vampire mythos would play out in the movie. There is a slight Men in Black vibe.
This flick had some fun moments. Foxx and Dave Franco had some great moments together.Their back and forth about a particular movie franchise and the do's and don'ts of vampire hunting was pretty entertaining and funny. A great job is done with visuals and SFX throughout the movie that are quite creative. There are some great kills and action sequences.The sets were pretty impressive.

PRAISE: I was pushed to suspend disbelief several times .The main villain had a kind of Deacon Frost vibe at first but never really got to an intimidating level. A lot of this played out in a predictable way. With an almost 2 hour running time I was kind of shocked how the movie jumped to other scenes without showing how things got from point A to B.

Scale of 1 to 10 a 6½

Day Shift

Fang Phollies

PRAISE: Jamie Foxx returns to Netflix in another action romp about A hardworking dad out to provide for his daughter uses a boring pool-cleaning job as a front for his real gig: hunting and killing vampires.The main thing I wondered about was what kind of Vampire mythos would play out in the movie. There is a slight Men in Black vibe.
This flick had some fun moments. Foxx and Dave Franco had some great moments together.Their back and forth about a particular movie franchise and the do's and don'ts of vampire hunting was pretty entertaining and funny. A great job is done with visuals and SFX throughout the movie that are quite creative. There are some great kills and action sequences.The sets were pretty impressive.

PRAISE: I was pushed to suspend disbelief several times .The main villain had a kind of Deacon Frost vibe at first but never really got to an intimidating level. A lot of this played out in a predictable way. With an almost 2 hour running time I was kind of shocked how the movie jumped to other scenes without showing how things got from point A to B.

Scale of 1 to 10 a 6½

Thnx for this. Never even knew about this movie. Downloading rite now too.

View attachment 904969
CARTER

bruh this shit was a Rollercoaster a two hour roller coaster just insane sequences the whole movie it was fun watch

I mean what didnt he do...it was like dude was on god mode all cheats activated
Man I got action fatigue watching this, lol. I was actually looking for some exposition and story telling.

The sequences were crazy as hell though. Especially the van one.

for the life of me I can’t remember

it came out this year but what’s the name of the movie when the woman notices the guy watching her in like a high rise of some city

it came out probably a few months ago

Carter

Chaotic And Cool

PRAISE: Take the movies Kill Bill and Crank. Add a Role playing and one person shooter video game,blend them together and you may come close to the movie Carter. The story is about A man waking up missing his memories. Directed by a mysterious voice from a device in his ear, he sets off on a hostage rescue mission rife with danger.
The movie never really let's up as soon as I began to try to piece things together like the title character I was thrown into one crazy action sequence after the next. I admire all of the actors including :Joo Won as Carter ,Camilla Belle as Agnes,Lee Sung-jae as Kim Jong-hyuk,Jeong So-r and Kim Bo-min as Jung Ha-na for putting their bodies through which was likely hour after hour of stunt work and green screen work.
I admire the movie for trying to give the audience a bit of everything. It was really like watching Total Recall after drinking 6 Red Bulls. If you have vertigo I don't suggest you watch this. The dizzying SFX and aerial shots are nearly Relentless.If you don't go in looking for a Shakespearean masterpiece you should enjoy this extreme action romp.

PROBLEMS: There are times when the action is a bit jumbled and I couldn't tell what was going on. It is about 10 to 15 minutes to long I started to feel it's length and it still had 30 minutes to go. The SFX are a bit choppy here and there.

Scale of 1 to 10 an 8

Back