Welcome To aBlackWeb

Baltimore Student Passes 3 Classes In Four Years, Ranks Near Top Half Of Class With 0.13 GPA

Chi-Town B

Mod Squad
BALTIMORE (WBFF) – A shocking discovery out of a Baltimore City high school, where Project Baltimore has found hundreds of students are failing. It’s a school where a student who passed three classes in four years, ranks near the top half of his class with a 0.13 grade point average.

Tiffany France thought her son would receive his diploma this coming June. But after four years of high school, France just learned, her 17-year-old must start over. He’s been moved back to ninth grade.

“He's stressed and I am too. I told him I'm probably going to start crying. I don't know what to do for him,” France told Project Baltimore. “Why would he do three more years in school? He didn't fail, the school failed him. The school failed at their job. They failed. They failed, that's the problem here. They failed. They failed. He didn't deserve that.”

France’s son attends Augusta Fells Savage Institute of Visual Arts in west Baltimore. His transcripts show he’s passed just three classes in four years, earning 2.5 credits, placing him in ninth grade. But France says she didn’t know that until February. She has three children and works three jobs. She thought her oldest son was doing well because even though he failed most of his classes, he was being promoted. His transcripts show he failed Spanish I and Algebra I but was promoted to Spanish II and Algebra II. He also failed English II but was passed on to English III.

“I'm just assuming that if you are passing, that you have the proper things to go to the next grade and the right grades, you have the right credits,” said France.

As we dig deeper into her son’s records, we can see in his first three years at Augusta Fells, he failed 22 classes and was late or absent 272 days. But in those three years, only one teacher requested a parent conference, which France says never happened. No one from the school told France her son was failing and not going to class.

“I feel like they never gave my son an opportunity, like if there was an issue with him, not advancing or not progressing, that they should have contacted me first, three years ago,” said France.

In his four years at Augusta Fells, France’s son earned a GPA of 0.13. He only passed three classes, but his transcripts show his class rank is 62 out of 120. This means, nearly half his classmates, 58 of them, have a 0.13 grade point average or lower.

“He's a good kid. He didn't deserve that. Where's the mentors? Where is the help for him? I hate that this is happening to my child,” said an emotional France.

Project Baltimore talked with a City Schools administrator, who works inside North Avenue, but asked not to be identified for fear of retaliation. That administrator says the school system absolutely failed France’s son.

The administrator told FOX45 News, City Schools failed because it has protocols and interventions set up to help students who are falling behind or have low attendance. In France’s son’s case, they didn’t happen.

“I get angry. There's nothing but frustration. We see on the news the crime that occurs, the murders, the shootings, we know that there are high levels of poverty in Baltimore. Things like this are adding to that. His transcript is not unusual to me. I've seen many transcripts, many report cards, like this particular student,” said the City Schools administrator.

Dr. Sonja Santelises was the City Schools CEO four years ago when France’s son was a freshman. But she will not interview with FOX45 News. Instead, we received a two-page statement, which explains what should happen when a student is chronically absent or failing.

The district says students received a letter about their academic status this past summer, and records can be accessed through the campus portal. When a student is absent, an automated call is placed to the number on file. The statement also said the school conducted recent home visits and the student’s parent visited the school. France says none of that happened.

What the statement does not address, is why France’s son was promoted despite failing classes. It doesn’t discuss his class rank, or the 58 other students with a GPA of 0.13 or lower. But it does say North Avenue is “reviewing actions that impacted student outcomes” at the school prior to this year.

“It took a lot for me to just build the courage to do this,” France told Project Baltimore.

Project Baltimore asked the City Schools administrator what they would say to France. The administrator replied, “I didn't have a hand on this student, but I worked for City Schools. So, he is one of my kids. I would hug her, and I would apologize profusely.”

“He feels embarrassed, he feels like a failure,” France said of her son. “I'm like, you can't feel like that. And you have to be strong and you got to keep fighting. Life is about fighting. Things happen, but you got to keep fighting. And he's willing, he's trying, but who would he turn to when the people that's supposed to help him is not? Who do he turn to?”

They might have to shut that school down. If a 0.13 GPA is seriously the middle of the pack there, it’s clearly obvious no one’s learning anything.

I don’t buy the moms claiming ignorance this whole time. She gets the report cards, too. I’m sure she knew something wasn’t right when he came home and REGULARLY had straight Fs.

Was the school fucked up, yes but the mother can't play and act like a victim in all this as if she has no responsibility at in how this shit happened.

The student best course of action now is to just get his GED and keep it moving. I only have sympathy for kid cause he has and is being failed by everyone around him. That shit is fucked up.

Was the school fucked up, yes but the mother can't play and act like a victim in all this as if she has no responsibility at in how this shit happened.

The student best course of action now is to just get his GED and keep it moving. I only have sympathy for kid cause he has and is being failed by everyone around him. That shit is fucked up.
I don't even have sympathy for him, he was absent or late over 200 days. Everyone involved fucked up.

I don't even have sympathy for him, he was absent or late over 200 days. Everyone involved fucked up.

You don't have to but with said you'd be ignoring a lot shit.

He's a fucking teenager and with this story you can tell he probably hasn't been getting proper guidance and that lack of guidance didn't start when he got to the 9th grade.

That nigga knew damn well he wasn't going to school

How did he think he was gonna graduate?

Is he mentally challenged ?

Everybody fucked up.

That nigga knew damn well he wasn't going to school

How did he think he was gonna graduate?

Is he mentally challenged ?

Everybody fucked up.

If you know you ain't going to school and they keep passing you the next grade. Why wouldn't he think he wasn't going to graduate?

The school are the ones who switched the shit they was on not the student. Should've just let him graduate if they passed him all those other times.

Glad this happened though to expose the bullshit that is going on at that school and those people just stealing money and not doing their jobs.

His stupid ass mom not innocent either, she knew he was failing and did nothing either.
From what the story said,she didn't know,but also she wasn't checking too hard

I put blame on the kid and the school first

He's a kid,but he also knew he was skipping school and school should have made sure to talk to his mother.

By the time he was 16,he had to know he was failing.

I can see how any calls would be missed if she was working mad jobs.

This shit is a mess.

He been living La Vida Loca.

If you know you ain't going to school and they keep passing you the next grade. Why wouldn't he think he wasn't going to graduate?

The school are the ones who switched the shit they was on not the student. Should've just let him graduate if they passed him all those other times.

Glad this happened though to expose the bullshit that is going on at that school and those people just stealing money and not doing their jobs.

It's kinda common sense that if you're failing and not going to school at all,how you think you gonna graduate?

that nigga is 17 not 7.

Back