Welcome To aBlackWeb

why is the haitian revolution not considered a great moment in black history?

roi baptiste

most black americans show little to no respect for the Haitian Revolution..... Haitians fought for their rights against French slavemasters from 1791 to 1804... Jean-Jacques Dessalines & Toussaint L'overture should be held in the same regard as your most famous black leaders in America....... when Haitians became free black Americans were still picking cotton in the white mans plantations.... when you black americans talk about black history month pay homage to the Haitian revolution first & foremost.

Nigga you almost had me.. we do talk about Haiti but we're not about to pay homage first and foremost..
You can chill with the condescending tone

Nigga you almost had me.. we do talk about Haiti but we're not about to pay homage first and foremost..
You can chill with the condescending tone
no condescending tone ..... but facts are facts Haiti is the first free black republic..... if that hurts you too bad.

Ion think I like your tone Bruh. Was ready to give Haiti props. You live in Haiti?
my father is Haitian my mother is American.... in school growing up my teachers taught us about 2-3 great black american leaders...... my father expanded my education about great Haitian leaders...... Haitian revolution was rarely talked about from blacks when it comes to black history month is the point i'm trying to make.

most black americans show little to no respect for the Haitian Revolution..... Haitians fought for their rights against French slavemasters from 1791 to 1804... Jean-Jacques Dessalines & Toussaint L'overture should be held in the same regard as your most famous black leaders in America....... when Haitians became free black Americans were still picking cotton in the white mans plantations.... when you black americans talk about black history month pay homage to the Haitian revolution first & foremost.

Because they're not American and Black history month IN AMERICA isn't at all about Non American black people.

FOH

my father is Haitian my mother is American.... in school growing up my teachers taught us about 2-3 great black american leaders...... my father expanded my education about great Haitian leaders...... Haitian revolution was rarely talked about from blacks when it comes to black history month is the point i'm trying to make.
I understand, but you comin off disrespectful. Especially given the effort to promote Black History on the site. I think geography is the key here. The same way Lupita didnt want to speak on slavery because she's not from here. It's a perpetual effort to raise awareness about Black History Month for just those notable figures from America. So many accounts and stories from centuries still being unearthed in a country known for trying to hide the truth about Afro Americans and their ancestors. We'll get there...

I understand, but you comin off disrespectful. Especially given the effort to promote Black History on the site. I think geography is the key here. The same way Lupita didnt want to speak on slavery because she's not from here. It's a perpetual effort to raise awareness about Black History Month for just those notable figures from America. So many accounts and stories from centuries still being unearthed in a country known for trying to hide the truth about Afro Americans and their ancestors. We'll get there...
Black americans have contributed alot to black history no doubt..... but i believe that the Haitian Revolution is overlooked by Black Americans in regards to great moments in black history .... if any niggas in here have any issues with my statement about black pride at it's finest fuck them.

Homie jus made this thread to get this condescending shit off his chest.

I fully respect Haiti's history and that the ppl fought for their freedom. I jus cant square it w the nation's current situation. Haiti is a economic mess and unstable cluster fuck. The country is a full blown mess. The political corruption is wild

Meh...I learned about Nelson Mandela, Garvey, Biko, etc during black history month...
This, but I still don't like his tone...

Niggaz wear dashiki's for black history month with not one clue of what region the cloth is from, or if it's authentic patterns.

Niggaz be all over the fucking place with black history. We still struggle to give people like Master P, Jay, and Floyd props for going from poverty to prosperity in one generation.

It's a whole lot forreal.... No consistency. I still think Jack Johnson gets overshadowed by niggaz like joe Louis, & Ali. Dude was the first champ in the jim crow era.... Got a white wife and made her run his night club while he was beating the shit outta white boys in front of a crowd that wanted to kill him.

Black history all over the place. So I'm cool with including haitian history. But homie needs to fall back on the tone

Theres a ton of reasons. One reason is that world powers made sure to keep Haiti under economic embargos and the country never developed. At the moment they are one of the poorest and most under developed countries in the world.

They dont have money to market the country. No department of tourism. The list goes on.

Theres a ton of reasons. One reason is that world powers made sure to keep Haiti under economic embargos and the country never developed. At the moment they are one of the poorest and most under developed countries in the world.

They dont have money to market the country. No department of tourism. The list goes on.
That's a good idea,,

They need a national history museum in Haiti.... Or if they have one... Advertise it and encourage tourism.
I'd go ??‍♂️

Yea, you coming off as disrespectful. Firstly, a lot of folks dont even know about the Haitian revolution that's not taught too many places. They not going mention the enslaved overthrowing their white masters. Shyt we had to learn about Black Wallstreet on our own.

Here's one reason.

While it is admirable that the Haitians fought for their freedom, their country is a mess. The reason their country is a mess is because they never established a stock market in the 200 years that they've been free. A stock market is something like the New York Stock Exchange, or in Japan they have the Tokyo Stock Exchange (TSE), or in the UK they have the London Stock Exchange.

A stock exchange is an easy way for international, institutional investors to exchange money, or to invest in another nation's economy.

For example, if you live in Australia and you think the American economy is doing really well you can invest in the Dow Jones Industrial 30, or the S&P 500. Those index funds mirror the best American corporations. Every nation has an index, which is basically a list of the top companies in that nation. The Dow Jones average is the top 30 American corporations, the S&P 500 is a composite of the top 500 American corporations. An Australian or Brazilian investor doesn't have to do any research if they want to invest in America. All they have to do is buy shares of one of our index funds.

Haiti doesn't have a stock market and thus there's no way to invest in their economy.

Think about it, if you could invest in the best manufacturing companies in Haiti you could invest, say, $5 million, and they could use that money to buy supplies and build their business. Or you could invest in a Haitian tech company, or a Haitian retail chain. In the absence of a stock market those investments are impossible.

So to answer the thread starter's question. The Haitian revolution was over 200 years ago but they haven't finished. They haven't established a stock market so people can't invest in their country.

I guess the paradox is that since you can't invest in Haiti's economy they have no debt whereas in America we sell government bonds to anybody that will buy them. As a result our National Debt is over $27 Trillion at the date of this writing

So we're $27 Trillion in debt and Haiti has no debt because they don't sell government bonds. So in one way, Haiti has more money than we do when you factor in the National debt.

Last edited:
Back