Welcome To aBlackWeb

Look What They Feeding My Boy

View attachment 367843

I think most of us are of an older age and have children. For most when we were children, alot of the things we consumed that were not in direct relation to family were outside sources of media. Print, Entertainment, etc.

I'm now old enough to look back at an era. I take you to the TRL era, the 106 and park era. I wont go back to the yo mtv raps era because i dont feel like semantic debates to be honest.

But in the TRL era pop, rock, and all other forms of non urban music. The content was largely structured in dealing with emotions and speaking on emotions. Where as a large portion of urban music, where if you actually listen to in depth. Dealt heavily with the escape of emotions rather than the dealing with emotions.

This was always seen among black, that the walking through of emotions isnt something black people do. Which was structurally untrue. Mainly black families dealt with family court, family night, family events where we dealt with each other emotions directly.

So while our outward facing culture shunned the direct expression of vulnerability. Pop, rock, etc. Embraced it.

Here is the problem...pop music gets Billy Ellish and the dealing with teen angst. Urban music gets city girls and wap..

The only emotions dealt with in urban music now a days are anger, spite and gluttony.

Ima kill you, ima fuck your girl, ima wear more designer than you.

Stop for a moment and listen to the music being fed to the children that listen to pop music

Take one day to be mindful of the programming of a generation..but dont react to it. Just notice it, absorb it, accept it as a reality, sleep on it. The next day wake up and take notice of what else you notice.
I had a discussion with my girl and younger brothers about this. I agree. The thing is I'm a first person. For every NLE Choppa, Lil Tecca, And NBA Youngboy there is only .5 YBN Cordae. The percentage is pretty off and honestly depressing. I assume for the youngins, artist like Rod Wave falls into the emotional vulnerable space and others like Polo G and even Juice Weld did as well.

It's just not for me. It seems like it's the same cheesy piano melody "sad song" sound and the lines of " I told my momma I was gonna pray days like this, the struggle got me want to stunt and fuck bitches" shit is even crossing over to the youngins conscious thoughtful rappers which shows that the bar is pretty low.

But who are we to judge? Is it low because it doesn't sound or discuss matters similar to how we grew up on it? All in all shit is depressing especially for those who truly love music and their favorite artists no longer create music.

Heroin, be the death of me
Heroin, it's my wife and it's my life
Because a mainline to my vein
Leads to a center in my head
And then I'm better off than dead
Because when the smack begins to flow
I really don't care anymore
About all the Jim-Jim's in this town
And all the politicians makin' crazy sounds
And everybody puttin' everybody else down
And all the dead bodies piled up in mounds
'Cause when the smack begins to flow
Then I really don't care anymore
Ah, when the heroin is in my blood
And that blood is in my head

??‍♂️

If you want to hang out, you've gotta take her out, cocaine
If you want to get down, get down on the ground, cocaine
She don't lie, she don't lie, she don't lie,
Cocaine
If you got that lose, you want to kick them blues, cocaine
When your day is done, and you want to ride on cocaine
Cocaine
If your day is gone, and you want to ride on, cocaine
Don't forget this fact, you can't get it back, cocaine
Cocaine
Cocaine

"White Horse" was slang for coke back inna day; white pony was slang for heroin. This song was big as shit back inna day and used to get the most spins in clubs where coke and heroin were passed around freely.

It's not just the music, but that's a huge part of it because of it's availability. You can have music with you wherever you're at thanks to a walkman back inna day and today because of your phone. You could quite literally listen to shoot-em-up-bang music all day and night if you wanted to, and a lot of muhfuckas do exactly that.

You ever been in a crack/trap house and they had KRS-ONE playing in the background?
You ever been around thug niggas listening to afrocentric rap?
What niggas you know gettin ready for a drive-by got PE in the deck?
Again.

Every device you listen to music on you can dictate exactly what you want to listen to...

If you want to listen to songs about drugs, is cuz you want to listen to music about drugs.

If you in a crack house or a trap house to begin with, ROFL... What music they playing should be your last concern. Why the fuck you in a crack house?

Ok...

Ummm, Roxanne Shante...Mc Lyte...Queen Latifah...Lady of Rage..Lil Kim...Foxy Brown...Nicki Minaj...Cardi B...Meg the Stallion...City Girls..

Note the progression

On the other hand..

Madonna...Qwen Stafani...Pink..Brittany Spears..Christina Aguilera..Arina Grande...Billy Ellish..

Note the progression
I don't have issues with City Girls, Cardi, Meg, because they are comfortable doing what they love. I do have a issue with the gatekeepers and influencers being white girls and boys conceptionlizing urban culture only one specific way which is vulgar, inappropriate, and feel with vice. The fact that gate keepers and trendsetters are not a reflection of our skin color is alarming as well, because this shit goes back to NWA, Public enemy, 2live crew, etc. The only exception was the zulu Nation movement. But the extreme forms of urban culture was ALWAYS deemed more sexy and provocative. While other forms of hip hop like Rapsody, Lupe, Lauryn Hill, etc was considered too boring, preachy, or not cool.

It's a conditioned norm we all fail into. I love ALL forms of hip hop. I love ignorant boss woman shit because I'm all for woman empowerment. I love oakland pimp shit because I love the vulnerable raw uncut nature. And I love gangsta/thought provoking shit. The problem is only one side being defined.

You ever been in a crack/trap house and they had KRS-ONE playing in the background?
You ever been around thug niggas listening to afrocentric rap?
What niggas you know gettin ready for a drive-by got PE in the deck?
Like you are listing EXTREME life choices here

Crack houses, thugs, drive bys..... Ain't a song in the world that's gonna make me leave my family at home and run into those activities ??‍♂️

Again.

Every device you listen to music on you can dictate exactly what you want to listen to...

If you want to listen to songs about drugs, is cuz you want to listen to music about drugs.

If you in a crack house or a trap house to begin with, ROFL... What music they playing should be your last concern. Why the fuck you in a crack house?

tenor.gif

I'm not saying music doesn't influence people.

I'm saying people are weak to allow it to influence them to that degree.

If you are committing illegal acts solely because of the music you listen to.... The issue is internal.... Not external.

Lions exist. They have to eat. If you get caught, you were the weakest prey ??‍♂️

The brain doesn't fully mature until the 30's - 40's, with repetition, the listener will be affected, might not be enough to commit crimes, but it will affect their perception.

Majority of music is geared towards teens and young adults. Those who will find it harder to not be influenced.

I've been on the plane and for most of my flight, i internally played a Nicki Minaj song, all because my cousin was repeatedly played it (told her why she shouldn't be listening to that kind of music, eventually she stopped til i was gone). Seen a billboard set-up guy (black man) singing & humming to a lady gaga song, no care for his surroundings probably 'cause of the repetition from the car radio.

In my early teens, I was desensitized to drive-by's (literally stop and watch it unfold even if just 20 yards from me), by my later teens (for short period) I was itching for a black man to try me.

The issue is that a lot of black people experience and/or are surrounded by trauma.. then you listen to music that tells you (the listener) that trauma is positive and beneficial.

So it's easier for a black listener to the assimilate the unconscious effects then transfer it to their reality, even if it doesn't lead to crime.

E.g. Always hearing "nigga" in a negative light, will increase the likelihood of having an initial negative thought to seeing a "nigga" i.e fear, apprehension, hostility.

Hearing black women called "bitch" "hoe" whether bad, sexy or any words are added to make it sound good, will increase the likelihood of having an initial negative thought such as she's a bitch, a hoe and it will not be interpreted as a positive this time around.

I grew up seeing house parties in Lagos (we had a first floor massive balcony) ... that's where my love of music developed especially by black American artistes
eg Atlantic Starr cuts and I got into rap full time at about 91-92...

However music for me even at a very young was mostly for vibing, dancing/groovin and just because... I love music...never ever did I have it influence my decision making or lifestyle (except maybe fashion)

It all and always boils down to the training and upbringing you give your kids ...

The brain doesn't fully mature until the 30's - 40's, with repetition, the listener will be affected, might not be enough to commit crimes, but it will affect their perception.

Majority of music is geared towards teens and young adults. Those who will find it harder to not be influenced.

I've been on the plane and for most of my flight, i internally played a Nicki Minaj song, all because my cousin was repeatedly played it (told her why she shouldn't be listening to that kind of music, eventually she stopped til i was gone). Seen a billboard set-up guy (black man) singing & humming to a lady gaga song, no care for his surroundings probably 'cause of the repetition from the car radio.

In my early teens, I was desensitized to drive-by's (literally stop and watch it unfold even if just 20 yards from me), by my later teens (for short period) I was itching for a black man to try me.

The issue is that a lot of black people experience and/or are surrounded by trauma.. then you listen to music that tells you (the listener) that trauma is positive and beneficial.

So it's easier for a black listener to the assimilate the unconscious effects then transfer it to their reality, even if it doesn't lead to crime.

E.g. Always hearing "nigga" in a negative light, will increase the likelihood of having an initial negative thought to seeing a "nigga" i.e fear, apprehension, hostility.

Hearing black women called "bitch" "hoe" whether bad, sexy or any words are added to make it sound good, will increase the likelihood of having an initial negative thought such as she's a bitch, a hoe and it will not be interpreted as a positive this time around.

I think it's a fault argument. Because people always had a choice of what they listened to.

If you want to listen to more harsh topics, you'll gravitate towards that.

If you wanna listen to emo shit, you'll gravitate towards that.

If anything, with the overabundance of information we have at our disposal these days, there are more options than we ever had.

People CHOOSE what they listen to. No one even listens to local radio like that no more
Everyone has streaming services that play exactly what you want it to play. So again.... people hear what they wanna hear. See what they wanna see
Youngins don't choose what song becomes a new tik tok craze though. Influencers and labels do.

Ok I hear you Lagos boy...:aye:

I grew up seeing house parties in Lagos (we had a first floor massive balcony) ... that's where my love of music developed especially by black American artistes
eg Atlantic Starr cuts and I got into rap full time at about 91-92...

However music for me even at a very young was mostly for vibing, dancing/groovin and just because... I love music...never ever did I have it influence my decision making or lifestyle (except maybe fashion)

It all and always boils down to the training and upbringing you give your kids ...

If the content is similar to the listener's environment, the likelihood of being affected will increase.

A lot of all media content is meant to tap into the unconscious. A lot of people's preferences are as a result of exposure to some form of media.

There were white songs about cocaine.

Whole song was about cocaine. Nothing else. Mad people listened to it. Some used, some didn't.

But the people who did blame the song. When the ones who don't heard the same shit. That's the part that gets me.

For every song like that for the entire generation of the 70s I can name 500 from this year

Keep them kids away from tik tok and influencers ??‍♂️

Ain't no thing to block an app bruh
I don't have kids so you can honestly school me with this, but when I was growing up and other friends, we was attracted to things our parents told us not to look at. NBA youngboy is them young niggas 2Pac bro. They LOOOOOOOVE that dude. Let his YouTube numbers show the answer. My point is every teen or kid is not going to listen to what there parent say, especially what the cool norm is. And for urban culture, the cool norm has always been rock and roll (sex murder and drugs) more than anything. NBA youngboy is a cool hot head southern demon bro, a rebel without a cause, lil teens love that shit. Lol

I don't have kids so you can honestly school me with this, but when I was growing up and other friends, we was attracted to things our parents told us not to look at. NBA youngboy is them young niggas 2Pac bro. They LOOOOOOOVE that dude. Let his YouTube numbers show the answer. My point is every teen or kid is not going to listen to what there parent say, especially what the cool norm is. And for urban culture, the cool norm has always been rock and roll (sex murder and drugs) more than anything. NBA youngboy is a cool hot head southern demon bro, a rebel without a cause, lil teens love that shit. Lol

All news to me. Homie gets no play in this house ??‍♂️

You're dead-on here. I've said this a number of times back on the IC and maybe once here. I think one of my multi-paragraph joints in The Reason spoke to this in detail. If you compare the hip hop being played on the radio when I graduated high school to what's being played today, there's a stark contrast. In 1990 we had Paris, Ice Cube, KRS, Poor Righteous Teachers, King Sun, X Clan, P.E., Rakim, ATCQ, Tragedy, etc all alongside acts like Kid Sensation, MC Hammer, BDK, NWA, Kool G Rap an DJ Polo, Three Times Dope, etc. Today what's playing that even compares, message-wise, to what was being played back then? Nothing. There's far more rap on the radio, but also far less substance, if any at all.

This is true but we are also in era where radio play isn't a direct indicator of how popular an artist is. Radio plays far smaller a role in 2020 than in in 90s and early to mid 2000s. Once the blog era started radio play became less important

This is true but we are also in era where radio play isn't a direct indicator of how popular an artist is. Radio plays far smaller a role in 2020 than in in 90s and early to mid 2000s. Once the blog era started radio play became less important

If it wasn't as important, labels wouldn't spend as much as they do to get spins, they would focus that money on social media outlets and whatnot. Labels still spend a significant amount of money out of an artist's budget on indies to get radio spins.

Fact is, radio is still important even if most of us in this thread no longer listen to stations that play current music.

Back