Welcome To aBlackWeb

Fat Joe’s comments on Blackness in Latin America spark discussion

The way Latinos mixed is similar to Black Americans, but there are some stark differences.

Latinos have Native, white, and Black ancestry. Most, but not all, have Native in their ancestry. Many of those also have African in their ancestry, but not all of them. Same for white, which is the easiest to spot on the surface because most of those folks have a light complexion.

A lot of them families in Latin America are so mixed a reunion would have people of all backgrounds showing up; Fat Joe's family could very well be like that. Joe prolly got a great grandmother or grandfather back in PR or Cuba that's black as night and might have even spent time with that part of the family.

Most, but not all, Black Americans will likely find White and maybe Native in their ancestry if they look far enough back. As an example, y'all already know I'm part Native with the tribal registration and everything. On Wednesday I was talking to my moms about the family we have in Texas (her side of the family) and I told her that I googled the family name and found a shitton of white folks, and a lot of the older women looked just like her mother and aunts. Grandma was a lite-brite with white features and when I was about 3 or 4 I asked my mother why she was white and we weren't, so I always suspected something going on. Turns out there's a whoooole lotta white on that side of the family and my grandmother and her siblings were 1st cousins with a rather well known (pop culture-wise) FLOTUS from back inna day. I was shown pics of clearly White folks and some that were half Black and White but leaned more to the white side feature-wise, which explained everything.

My sister took one of those ancestry dna kits (we're puerto rican). Her results were 35% Portugal, 18% Spain, 15% African (Mali, Cameroon, Ghana, Senegal, Benin, Togo), 14% Native American including Andean tribe... thats 82% which makes another 18% undetermined. I thought that was real interesting.

ok...last post frfr.

for the night. i got work to do.

no diss to any latinos here. im not advocating violence against no one.

but how many Latin Kings, trinis and Netas have the 9treys took down?

how many black people did the half mexican half puerto rican rainbow haired kid disrespect saying n-word and take down?
how many black people did he cause to turn against each other?
how easy was it really?

an hes untouched.

You know it’s like 1000s of Latinos in black nyc gangs. I don’t think he was sent by another gang as informant. Gangs seem more into straight up confrontation. Not saying they ain’t got spies. But usually working with the feds is frowned upon. Whitey Bulger got killed his first day in prison

Fat Joe isn't right, but those people criticizing him don't seem to know what they are talking about either.

Latin America was very black at one point. What people don't realize is that way more blacks went to the Caribbean and South America than to the U.S. Places like Cuba and Brazil were so Black that they actually enacted initiatives where they incentivized bringing Europeans into the countries to whiten the population. Why else do people think that African based culture is so pervasive in those countries? So it's true to say that not all Latinos, but almost all Latin cultures are heavily African based.

Fat Joe isn't right, but those people criticizing him don't seem to know what they are talking about either.

Latin America was very black at one point. What people don't realize is that way more blacks went to the Caribbean and South America than to the U.S. Places like Cuba and Brazil were so Black that they actually enacted initiatives where they incentivized bringing Europeans into the countries to whiten the population. Why else do people think that African based culture is so pervasive in those countries? So it's true to say that not all Latinos, but almost all Latin cultures are heavily African based.
You can see the whitening going on still today
Its disgusting.

Don't like joe(or spanish people much for that matter) but I don't disagree with him.

No I'm not on that paul mooney "spanish people are blacks who can swim" shit. But Caribbean black culture is very african and some of them are so mixed that you'd never look at them and think they have blacks in they're family or lineage but a lot of them do.

They do have a lot of European in their blood too and some worship that shit so fuck em.

Niggas couldn’t even like comic books and anime 20 years ago
Crazy that i was just telling a chick that yesterday. Now everything is cool wasn't so b4

He's partially right. There has always been and still remains a strong connection to many African cultural aspects that slaves passed on through the years whether it be throught food, religion or even the dialects of spanish spoken in latin america. All latinos ain't black but enough of us are that we have always been aware of and celebrated. Has it always been embraced by some? No...but when folks pretend to be completely shocked at the amount of black folks in latin america and the fact that we acknowledge being black it does make me wonder just who the fuck they been talking to to be so shocked in 2019 at this information.

A lot of their popular music and culture has strong and obvious African influence the only music that doesn't have any African influence is that Mariachi music

The absolute stance of his point is what makes him wrong....not every Latino/as have African roots and or ancestry

You can listen to what he's sayng and see he's not talking about all latinos. Of course every single latino isn't black or has African ancestry. That's a low hanging fruit point to nit pick instead of actually talking about the actual main point of what he was saying. Can't believe I'm out here defending Fat Joe...

Oh ok I see your point no further debate. We boxed ourselves in for sure. Niggas couldn’t even like comic books and anime 20 years ago but now we got black spaces everywhere. We just gotta be careful
Where you from? We were in the hood reading comics and watching Anime. Vampire Hunter D, Fist of the North Star, Batman and Spider-Man were very popular 20 more than 20 uears ago.

I think what he was really trying to say or should have been saying is that all Latin people have some connection to Africa and that is true. Most of the US' culture is African influenced, but the US doesn't really officially acknowledge that. Hip Hop is one of the popular genres of music and dance, but no one would say that they were the defining or official forms of music and dance in the U.S. And if the U.S. had to submit something as it's official song or something, you can bet they'd send some white shit. If you go down the list of Latin countries mentioned here, all the cultural elements that pretty much officially represent those countries are heavily black influenced and everyone acknowledges that.

Where you from? We were in the hood reading comics and watching Anime. Vampire Hunter D, Fist of the North Star, Batman and Spider-Man were very popular 20 more than 20 uears ago.

They were popular but niggas wasn’t wearing dbz shirts or making references to it in rap. At least not on a wide scale. We all watched it but niggas wasn’t fully into it without being viewed as weird

If more black latinos or latinos with african roots didnt deny their heritage or mistreat blacks we wouldn't even be having this discussion. We know a lot of them niggas mixed with black whether they claim it or not.

Latino is not a race just a word to describe people from latin American countries. A latino can be of any race or ethnic group. There are millions of black latinos and latinos of African descent but obviously not all or most. Countries like Colombia, Brazil DR, Cuba, Panama...etc are countries where you find most the black population.

I'd say most latinos are mestizos.

Latino is not a race just a word to describe people from latin American countries. A latino can be of any race or ethnic group. There are millions of black latinos and latinos of African descent but obviously not all or most. Countries like Colombia, Brazil DR, Cuba, Panama...etc are countries where you find most the black population.

I'd say most latinos are mestizos.

Not necessarily mestizo since that has a specific meaning, but yeah all latinos are mixed to some degree with two or more races. I think part of the reason some of us black americans have a problem with Latin America is that we don't really get that dynamic. In America, for the longest, you were basically white or nonwhite and nonwhite included anyone who wasn't fully white. So when we see latinos claim nationality or ethnicity over race, for us it seems like a betrayal because race is all we've ever had. However, it's just different over there. A lot of those countries are true melting pots in sense that the majority of people are mixed, so race as an identifier isn't as significant for them. That said, that it would be a mistake to believe that some of that old school white racism doesn't still haven influence in those places resulting in severe colorism in some cases.

Back