Welcome To aBlackWeb

Netflix Plans To Start Using The Weekly Format

Goldie

I Just Want Some Chips
Site Owner
Netflix is radically altering the binge-watch model that had defined the streaming service for nearly a decade. Starting in October, Netflix will no longer release episodes of certain series all at once. Instead, it will release chunks of episodes on a weekly basis. On Tuesday, Hypebeast reported that Netflix is dialing back binge drops for original programming starting with the The Great British Baking Show and Rhythm & Flow. Will this new release schedule apply to future seasons of big shows like Stranger Things?

Featured Video

Loading Video Content

Watch more Fatherly Subscribe

Related Content

A few years ago, the idea of deleting your Netflix account would sound insane, but now that Disney+ and Hulu are threatening to make a better deal for families, the case can be made that Netflix is in danger of becoming irrelevant. To that end, it’s possible that Netflix is releasing certain shows on a weekly basis because it wants to create more value.

Here’s what we mean. If an entire season doesn’t become available all at once, the cultural value for that series obviously goes up. The best example of this is the fact that you can’t imagine a world in which HBO dropped an entire season of Game of Thrones on the same day, but you can easily imagine a future in which Netflix doles out Stranger Things one episode at a time. The hype around a series you can binge the weekend it comes out may have been a novelty a few years ago, but people with limited amounts of time — specifically parents — might benefit from a series that doesn’t spoil its own ending by having too much content out right away.

To put it another way, if you want to watch the new Dark Crystal, you’ll have to avoid the internet for the several weeks it will take you to finish it because those who have the luxury of bingeing it can easily spoil it for the rest of us. For busy people waiting to catch up on a series while their kid is sleeping, bingeing might be unrealistic and overwhelming.

However, just because Netflix is releasing The Great British Baking Show and Rhythm & Flow in weekly blocks, doesn’t mean Netflix is abolishing the binge model entirely. After all, both of these series are reality-based competition shows, so there’s an obvious reason to stretch out the hype. Plus, globally, Netflix already has a history of releasing episodes of popular streaming-only TV shows one at a time. Though Star Trek: Discovery streams on CBS All-Access in the US, in the UK and elsewhere, the show is on Netflix, which means global fans of that series already know what it feels like to Netflix and chill a week at a time.

But while this new model is a big change, many financial pundits believe that it’s too early to say that Netflix is in any serious trouble. Though Disney+ and Apple TV present huge competition for Netflix, some finance experts say that statistics don’t support a mass Netflix exodus just yet. True, Netflix stock has fluctuated a bit recently, but they’re not out of the game yet, and they’re hoping release new shows in a drip instead of a flood could better prepare them for the streaming wars to come.

Disney+ will start streaming on November 12.

Apple TV+ will start streaming sometime in November 2019.

i think they're smart enough to not touch any current shows

I could see this being a thing moving forward without too much drama

i see the stretch and dont blame them.....every day people come up with new ways to be cheap lol

cant do that if its a weekly show

its subtle but they're drawing a line in the sand and seeing where the loyalty is in these wishy washy ass times

Yall the same bitches that get mad when its nothing to watch.
this is literally never an issue b/c there is only so many hours in a day, there is no way you are going to be caught up on every single show that comes out.

Or let me put it this way, unless you are super picky about what you watch, they'll ALWAYS be something you not up on which gives you the chance to watch something else

I’m not addicted to Netflix like some people are and I usually wait until the complete season is available so it’s not big deal to me, but that’s just me

This is a smart move imo.

With alot of Netflix shows, the hype for their shows be dead in a week after everybody binged it. Compared to shows like GOT and Snowfall who's hype lasts for months due to the weekly format.
And I hate waiting to watch new episodes, a season be lasting 5-6 months and then you add the lil winter breaks which is infuriating

This is a smart move imo.

With alot of Netflix shows, the hype for their shows be dead in a week after everybody binged it. Compared to shows like GOT and Snowfall who's hype lasts for months due to the weekly format.
ehhhh

GOT took a few seasons to get the hype it got b/c a lot of people, you and me included, slept on it for at least 3 maybe 4 seasons. It got the hype it did as it got longer in the tooth, but the fanfare wasnt there initially b/c mostly only the people who were familiar with the source material watched.

And nobody outside of this site i know watches Snowfall like that, which is a shame, but people, by and large, no longer consume tv week to week like that. The exceptions (GOT) are exceptions for a reason.

at least i know with Stranger things, there is a new season every summer unless something crazy happens

we should be watching season 3 of atlanta right now but ....yea

ehhhh

GOT took a few seasons to get the hype it got b/c a lot of people, you and me included, slept on it for at least 3 maybe 4 seasons. It got the hype it did as it got longer in the tooth, but the fanfare wasnt there initially b/c mostly only the people who were familiar with the source material watched.

And nobody outside of this site i know watches Snowfall like that, which is a shame, but people, by and large, no longer consume tv week to week like that. The exceptions (GOT) are exceptions for a reason.

Nah, I'm not talking about hype as far as gaining new viewers, I'm talking about hype from avid watchers.

That GOT thread lasted months, same thing with twitter and social media, those weekly shows are being talked about for months, which helps with visibility from a business perspective.

Compared to their current format, niggas will talk about Narcos for one week and then it's a wrap. Even Mindhunter pretty much came and went.

Nah, I'm not talking about hype as far as gaining new viewers, I'm talking about hype from avid watchers.

That GOT thread lasted months, same thing with twitter and social media, those weekly shows are being talked about for months, which helps with visibility from a business perspective.

Compared to their current format, niggas will talk about Narcos for one week and then it's a wrap. Even Mindhunter pretty much came and went.
i think we are saying the same thing tho

i think

GOT wasnt trending like that when it first came out is my point. It took a while to get to that point b/c they were still using the books as source material.

It became this mega thing once people felt left out for not watching it, then it was bigger b/c people wanted to trash it for how quickly it went from a quality show to "wtf is this shit"...

Using Narcos and MH as examples, I'm down to talk about them whenever those threads get bumped b/c i know everyone's schedule is unique. I dont think that makes the shows any less compelling.

ehhhh but niggas was talkin bout infinity war and end game for months after it came out..

Far as I can tell the people interested in watching a show are gonna watch it.. usually all of it if time allows and the episodes are availble... then talk about it...

other folks will see the hype and discussion around it and then tune in if they're interested. I dont see how letting shit draw out on a weekly basis is gonna drum up more interest.. and if it does it will prolly be minimal.

If anything I would think the binging model would get them more views because people dont wanna feel left out or be spoiled on social media so they watch as much as they can before muhfuckas can ruin it for them

i think we are saying the same thing tho

i think

GOT wasnt trending like that when it first came out is my point. It took a while to get to that point b/c they were still using the books as source material.

It became this mega thing once people felt left out for not watching it, then it was bigger b/c people wanted to trash it for how quickly it went from a quality show to "wtf is this shit"...

Using Narcos and MH as examples, I'm down to talk about them whenever those threads get bumped b/c i know everyone's schedule is unique. I dont think that makes the shows any less compelling.

I'm talking about from a business perspective.

People talking about your show for months on in>>>>>>>>>>>>> people talking about your show for 3 days.

That Mindhunter thread got about 5 days of back to back posts and hasn't had a post made in it in nearly 2 weeks.

Meanwhile Snowfall, Succession, etc are getting daily posts for weeks.

It's a smart business move.

I'm talking about from a business perspective.

People talking about your show for months on in>>>>>>>>>>>>> people talking about your show for 3 days.

That Mindhunter thread got about 5 days of back to back posts and hasn't had a post made in it in nearly 2 weeks.

Meanwhile Snowfall, Succession, etc are getting daily posts for weeks.

It's a smart business move.

I mean... Snowfall and Succession are way better shows as well so...........

Back